“Good location”

Ranked #533 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London
“Good location”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We have had afternoon teas here before and they've been good value and decided to try this as a hotel for this trip as it is in good proximity to The Strand and Piccadilly.

The check-in was quick and room available before 2pm as I had requested. The room was very small. The was only one bedside table because the space was needed to allow the wardrobe door to open on the other side. Decor was fine, not sure what people mean by "dated" in other reviews. I would agree it is dark inside but the building goes back along way compared to its frontage so natural light is going to be at a premium. The room we were in was in good condition and contrasting the bathroom was more spacious than most hotels I've stayed in.

My main grumbles are that having spent £270 advanced discount booking for the room (ie you end up paying more for the room if you book late) they want to charge for breakfast, an average of £25 per person. They seem oblivious to the fact that a nice restaurant/cafe is next to them "Caffe Concerto" where you can have the equivalent offerings for a fraction of that price. Our party of four ate for £48 including tip compared to the £100 pounds the hotel would have cost.

My other grumble is that the bar prices are steep (you expect that from any hotel these days) and the tip automatically added...but the actually moan is that there's a space asking for gratuities. I find this cheeky and I wish hotels, bars etc stopped doing this practice hoping you'll tip twice.

Check out was cold and in stark contrast to the check-in I'd experienced the previous day.

Doorman extremely courteous helped with the luggage from the taxi and made every effort to open the door at every exit and entrance we made and even flagged down a taxi for our trip back to the station. I wish I'd paid attention to his name badge but I guess the hotel manager will know their staff if they are reading this review.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear BRSR

Thank you very much for your feedback posted on TripAdvisor following your recent stay.

I was delighted to read that you experienced a warm welcome and appreciated the services provided by our Doorman throughout your stay. I have taken the liberty to share your kind comments with our Head Concierge. I was concerned to discover that you experienced a stark contrast between check in and check out related to service. This is certainly not the high standard of service we are aiming to provide and I have shared your feedback with our Guest Services Team. Please be informed that our pricing structure is in line with our main competitors. We value your feedback and will certainly look into improvement opportunities.
Once again, thank you for posting your feedback and for choosing to stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to Le Méridien Piccadilly in the near future.

Le Meridien Piccadilly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed there in a Saturday night. The room was rather small, dated and cramped bathroom and had 2 very small windows. Breakfast was excellent and location is great but this place needs a makeover. The corridor to our room was very low. This could be a great hotel but it's not one now

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear johnzbath,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your impressions on TripAdivsor.

It was very pleasing to discover that you appreciated the hotel’s unique location within the City Centre of London. I must sincerely apologise for the shortfalls in product you have experienced during your stay. We always strive to ensure that every guest has an enjoyable time and I was of course very disappointed to see that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Rest assured that we are working closely with our Owners to improve our service and product.

Once again, I am truly sorry for any shortcomings you may have experienced and I sincerely hope that this experience will not deter you from choosing Le Méridien Piccadilly or Starwood Hotels for your next visit to London. Please feel free to make your reservation directly through my office and I will be pleased to assist you.

Le Méridien Piccadilly
Paris, France
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I only write reviews when I have something to add.

Stella, the lovely associate at the front desk at Le Meridien, made all the difference. This is why it's so important to have 'hospitable' people who want and enjoy being in the hospitality business.

I travel a lot, both for business and leisure. and both my husband and I have travelled, worked, and lived in London. First, let me say, we found ourselves in another Starwood Hotel down the road, that was the worse that we have ever stayed, in the world. Having planned a birthday celebration weekend, we changed our hotel to Le Meridien. From the beginning, Stella took great care of us. Great rooms (two adjoining for our ourselves and our kids) with amazing light and views from the top. A great bottle of wine for us for the birthday and great organic pean and apple juices for for our kids. The gym and the pool are treats, for a London hotel, and the location cannot be beat.

Preferring to stay at smaller, out of the way boutique hotels in London, I was a bit tentative about staying at a large Starwood chain hotel right near Piccadilly. Since this was our kids' first trip to London, having a central location and a place with a bit of larger public spaces was required. Le Meridien Piccadilly came through with flying colors in all areas for our kids', thus our family's, first tour grand tour of London.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

As a Starwood member, we've stayed at numerous hotels. This was one of the worst services that we have seen. The rooms are dated, only several towels no refill on our Kleenex boxes for 2 days!! Great location but would never come back to this particular hotel.

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Jgc1963
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Jgc1963,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us.

We pride ourselves on offering a high level of service. I am very disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay.

We would very much like the opportunity to discuss the points you have raised further, therefore can I kindly ask you, to contact my office directly.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hear from you at your convenience.

Kind regards.

Le Meridien Piccadilly

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I have stayed in many starwood hotels around the world, and this has to be the one with the worst service. This is my second time staying at the hotel, and I was hoping to give it another chance, but the service remains very poor, especially at reception. Good location, rooms were old and slightly run down but big. However, bad service just spoils everything. I am never staying here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Llyla
Dear Lyla

Thank you for sharing your impressions on TripAdvisor following your recent stay here at Le Meridien Piccadilly.

We are aiming ourselves to provide our guests with excellent service at all times and I feel sorry if we fell short on this occasion. I was concerned reading your comments about the poor services received at Reception and please be assured that your feedback has been passed on to the Department Head. I thank you for your feedback as we are only able to enhance our services by receiving guest comments such as yours so we can further look into improvement opportunities.

Thank you again, for your review and we do hope that you will continue to make many more enjoyable stays at Le Meridien Piccadilly and Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Stourport-on-Severn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed here when I took my wife to London on a Theatre weekend. Friendly and considerate staff, and excellent facilities, however, be aware there is no on site car parking. We were upgraded to a suite because our room was not yet ready and nothing seemed like too much trouble.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark S
Dear Mark S,

Thank you very much for posting your comments on TripAdvsior following your recent stay at Le Meridien Piccadilly.

It was very rewarding to see that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated your room upgrade . I was pleased to read that you appreciated the friendly and professional service provided by our associates and I have shared your comments with them as they are dedicated to make every guest feel special.

Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This hotel is in a fantastic location, adjacent to Piccadilly Circus, and within walking distance of nearly everything: Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, London Eye, Buckingham Palace, and Trafalgar Square. Plus there are at least 3 tube stations within blocks. The hotel itself is very nice. They allowed us an early check-in which we very much appreciated. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, with wonderful beds, showers, television, and mini-bar. They had a very nice buffet breakfast which wasn’t included with the room, but we thought was well worth the money. The bar area was not very nice; they didn’t have many beer and wine selections, and it was very small and dark. The biggest drawback, and I consider it a major drawback, was their wireless internet. They said they had wireless in the public areas and in the rooms, but it was so weak it was actually worthless. So, if you want to have access to internet in your hotel, this is not the hotel for you. So, I still would recommend it for the other amenities, but just know you aren’t going to be able to access the internet.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor and at the back, to reduce noise from the street. Don't exp...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Travel_Buff_BL
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Travel_Buff_BL,

Thank you very much for your detailed comments posted on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you appreciated the hotel’s unrivalled location in the heart of London which is indeed well placed for business and tourism being close to many major sights, theatres and transportation link. It was also encouraging to discover that you valued our well-appointed rooms and I was pleased you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. We are taking your guest feedback very seriously and I thank you for sharing your comments about the poor WIFI connection. I have shared your feedback with our IT Department to look into improvement opportunities related to the addressed issues.

I apologise for any shortcomings you have experienced and I sincerely hope that this experience will not deter you from choosing Le Méridien Piccadilly or Starwood Hotels for your next visit to London. Please feel free to make your reservation directly through my office and I will be pleased to assist you.

Le Méridien Piccadilly