“This hotel ruined my holiday”

Le Meridien Piccadilly
Ranked #524 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Manama, Bahrain
“This hotel ruined my holiday”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

I stayed for a week at this star wood hotel. I was a Platinum Starwood member but as a result of this stay have not stayed in another Starwood hotel and have moved to Hilton instead - an overal better experience

Thus is meant to be a 5star hotel. Expect a 3 at best. I was upgraded due to being top tier on Starwoods scheme. I changed rooms twice. In all the carpets are threadbare, the bathrooms are very worn and falling to pieces. I was upgraded to a junior suite and the noise from the road was terrible. The room freezing cold, dark, worn and dirty. The furniture many years old and falling apart. The room smelt.

I was entitled to breakfast the executive lounge. Each morning it was full and the staff told me to come back later. In my week stay I had no breakfast. Only on my last day was I told that I should have been given a voucher by the staff member to use the main dining room.

Please do not book this hotel if you want to enjoy a hotel. This is nothing more than a very expensive bed for the night purely because it's location is on Picadilly circus. My first room did not even have a desk in it to work from.

Utterly appalling

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank GlobalHiltonGuest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
S. CA.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

I am staying at this hotel 16 days this month (just finished 11 of them). I have never encountered a more caring, hard-working & friendly staff at any Starwood property (and I have been at around 50 of them)!! Their goal is to do whatever they can to keep their customers happy and they made us feel like family. First, I want to tell you about the guest relations dept. It is run by David, who does a great job making sure everything is in order for you. His top assistant is Joanna ... hands down the best guest relations person I have encountered in years!! She made sure everything was set up perfectly for my wife's special birthday (without me asking for these things), including, but not limited to, wonderful godiva chocolates with libations for the entire family, an amazing birthday cake, a special arrangement of flowers, a wonderful room, etc., etc. Plain and simple ... Joanna is the best out there. If she would move to Southern California, I would hire her myself in a minute! Three cheers to the guest relations / front desk at this property!! And, I need to also mention Maria who manages the front desk- what a wonderful lady!! The best group you may ever find at Starwood.

Second, I want to discuss the restaurant manager - Vaibhav. He is quite new to this hotel (about 4 months). It is in his restaurant also that the breakfast is served (as an alternative to the lounge). My teenage daughter loves her eggs very well done. To be blunt, this is not the norm in Europe I have found. And, for a couple days, she simply was not getting the eggs cooked 100% to her satisfaction. That is, until Vaibhav heard about it. You can often judge a hotel by how they handle a small problem. How did Vaibhav handle it? By not only ensuring he would have the problem solved immediately (which he did), but by also sending a incredibly thoughtful bottle of Mumms Champagne to the room with some Cokes for the kids. The bottle was in our room before I even got back from breakfast (what a surprise)! This degree of service and caring you simply do not find at most hotels. Vaibhav also followed up daily to ensure the eggs were coming out right every day and even asked if he could send an email to the next Starwood hotel we are planning to go to to coordinate with their breakfast chef on this "issue". When I happened to ask Vaibhav about some nice restaurants in the local area, that night I found an envelope in my room detailing his top pick from each cuisine type and exactly what dishes he personally orders at each restaurant. In fact, the Sushi place he highly suggested ... he insisted he walk me over to the place 2 blocks from the hotel the next day because it was a tough place to find and so he did!! Incredible service deserves to be recognized and this is what I am doing in this post. There are a few more people I want to mention at this hotel and I will do so momentarily. Staying (16) nights at a hotel for the very first time - you get to know a lot about the hotel and their staff. What a super hotel overall - and as dedicated Starwood members know - finding a Category "5" this great is a real find! 48,000 points for 5 nights here - what a bargain!! Cheers.

Finally, as I wind down my 16 night stay at this hotel, I feel this is one of the nicest, friendliest hotels in the entire Starwood chain and FILLED with sensational people in all departments (in fact, I am stunned at what a wonderful job Starwood has done in hiring all these great people). Let me mention a few so if you ever stay here and face any sort of problem, you may know who to contact. First, in housekeeping, the manager is named Edita - what a classy lady. I truly believe this woman could not only run all of the housekeeping in this hotel, but could all run the entire hotel if given a chance!! Running the hotel lounge / bar as well as the platinum lounge for breakfast, afternoon tea and tapas is Holger (from Germany). This guy runs these areas of the hotel like a Swiss watch. He is a rock star for what he does. We even went out for an evening to see ‘We will rock You” - the Quenn musical and had a great night out together. His crew includes Karol (a super talented young man from Poland who is also in school to become a film director), Mae (who has the great sense of humor and charming disposition), Lena and Sophie (from Germany) (both wonderful ladies). Working in the restaurant are Joy (from Thailand) and Payal (from Hong Kong) - both super lovely ladies. The night manager is Sari (from Spain) and she is also wonderful to work with. The restaurant manager, Vaibhav (from India) is a superstar (see my previous posting about this guy). There is also another manager of restaurant by the name of Fernanda (from Brazil). You would not believe the charm and class radiating from this woman. I invite all members to stop by the restaurant and say hello to Fernanda. Then you tell me if I have overstated her charm! Guest relations - David has an incredible crew. I told you about Joanna (from Poland) earlier. She is the person you wish for before you get to the front desk and actually meet her! And, Drew is wonderful as well from the front desk as is Maria, the Supervior (what a lady!!) OK, I have probably missed someone and the moment I discover who it is, I may edit this post. Needless to say, this hotel has a KILLER staff of hard-working people from around the world. None of the (50) Starwoods I have been to already ranks higher than this hotel for customer service. I can not wait to come back to this hotel!! Thank you everyone for my greatest stay ever!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank THEGUYFROMSOCALIF
Pepa2008, Associate at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 22 October 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your favourable review on the Tripadvisor Website.

We are thrilled to learn that you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us. I am delighted to read that you found the service provided by our associates professional and friendly and I have shared your kind words with them as everyone works very hard to deliver Le Méridien Brand Service.

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your kind feedback and we hope to welcome you and your family again in the future.

Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

stayed here for one night on a business trip and would not come again. the hotel has very old doublewindows that don't close properly so you will have all the noise from the street. the bed sags in the middle and the room was very tiny. i had stopped to count how often i stumbled over my luggage. also you can see that this hotel understands renovation by just painting over everything again and again. just looks ugly and this is not a renovation.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank das_ubersoldat
Pepa2008, Associate at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 9 September 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments on the Tripadvisor website.

I am sorry to read that you were disturbed by the noise emanating from the street. May I suggest that for any future stays you request a quieter room.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Le Méridien Piccadilly.

Le Méridien Piccadilly

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

We stayed here September 3-6, 2010. I was nervous after some of the bad reviews I read on this site, but it turned out to be a great choice. We asked for a renovated room at check-in and the hotel was happy to oblige. The room was lovely! It looked exactly like the pictures on the website (queen bed w/ gray upholstered headboard, a red arm chair, and dark wood wardrobe, desk, and side tables). It was not large, but basically what I would expect from a standard room in a big city. We were on the 5th floor and had a nice view of a red-roofed church and clocktower. The bed was comfy, no noise at all from the street, and the bathroom was nice. One morning we did hear a baby crying in the next room, but as to people talking or anything like that there was no noise through the walls.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. We're both very busy (and not big planners) so we didn't read any guidebooks or make any plans before we left. Luckily, all we had to do was step out our door, buy a map at the newstand on our block, and we had the whole city at our fingertips. We were able to walk almost everywhere (Hyde Park, the British Museum, the National Gallery, the Tate, etc.) and easily got a cab or hopped on the bus or subway to get to other attractions. The hotel is also a short walk to great shopping and restaurants -- I really can't imagine how the location could be better.

As for the service and amenities, the staff is very friendly and anytime you call with a request they call you up a few minutes later to make sure you got what you needed. The hotel also provides free passes for the Tate, so you don't have to pay to see the special exhibitions (basic admission is free, but the special exhibitions were by far the most worthwhile when we visited). I never looked at the pool or gym, so I can't comment on those.

My one complaint is that, like some other high-end hotels where I have stayed, they charge PER DEVICE for internet access. This is a big pain and causes needless inconvenience and discomfort. I don't mind paying for internet access (although I prefer when it's free!), but to pay 16 GBP per day for each device adds up to an extortionate amount for the average modern family. My boyfriend and I each brought our laptops and blackberries, and in my case my blackberry cell service wasn't working in London, so to access my work email I needed to use the WiFi connection. But to connect two laptops and one blackberry would have been 48 GBP per night (around $75) -- about a quarter of the cost of the room itself! We settled for just connecting one laptop so we could read restaurant reviews and check google maps on the larger screen, but missing my blackberry service was a source of stress I didn't need. I need my blackberry to access my work email, so each day I had to find a cafe with free WiFi before I could see if I had any new work emails. Why put people through this? Just make internet access free, or charge per room rather than per device. This hassle is the reason I can only give the experience 4 stars. Otherwise I think I would have given a 5-star review.

One final note: as to hotel class, Le Meridien Piccadilly looks, feels, and operates like a really nice 4-star hotel, not a 5-star as it is rated. However, the prices are not 5-star prices either (the super fancy places were running about 2-3 times as much when I looked). Whether you pay with Starwood points (as we did) or cash, the value for the money is excellent. I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kate0614
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2010

We felt that the room was what you would expect in a 4* the bathroom was more a 3* but the staff were a 5*+. Its a great location for sightseeing around central London. The swimming pool was lovely and the breakfast was superb.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jools08
Pepa2008, Associate at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 6 September 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your favourable comments on the Tripadvisor website.

We are delighted to learn that you found the Hotel had an amazing location for the shops and Central London’s historical sites also that you appreciated the food, the friendly and professional service as well as the facilities that the Health Club - Le Méridien Piccadilly offers.

Once again thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back to Le Méridien Piccadilly.

Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

My colleagues and I were dreading going to the hotel following the bad reviews on Trip Advisor. They couldnt have been more wrong. We stayed for 4 nights and loved every minute of it. Having stayed in several hotels in the London Area in the last year this has been by far the best one. Hotel staff from concerige, reception staff, restaurant staff to the cleaning staff were all extremly helpful and pleasant. Staff at breakfast were always courteous and we even had her toast made for us without asking.
Rooms were the best we have stayed in this year, very spacious and clean. Have booked to stay again in October.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Pepa2008, associate at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 3 September 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay and Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your favourable review on trip advisor.

We were elated to read your positive feedback that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found our facilities very comfortable. We are delighted to hear that our associates are a huge asset to the Hotel and that they delivered Le Méridien Band standards of service to our guests. I have passed on your kind words to all associates.

Once again thank you for your visit to Le Méridien Piccadilly and we look forward to welcoming you back to soon.

New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

We had a great stay! We had a very large room - the exec suite - which accommodated all 4 of us. We were also in a great location within walking distance of everything. The only exception was the concierge which we felt was not as helpful as we would have liked. Maybe bad time of year with all the tourists.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Pepa2008, associate at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 2 September 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your kind comments on the Tripadvisor website.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly and that you appreciated the comfort and spaciousness of the Executive Suite. Also, please accept our apologies for any shortcomings in service by our Concierge Desk and I have shared your comments with the relevant associates to ensure Le Méridien Brand Standard is maintained.

Once again thank you for your comments and for staying with us. We hope to see you again in the near future.