“1 of the best i've stayed in!”

London Marriott Hotel Regents Park
Ranked #300 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 January 2009

I booked my trip through show and stay as part of a theatre break and I chose this hotel and it was brilliant.

We arrived at 10.00am not expecting to get our room but just leave our luggage and we were surprised and pleased to get shown to our room straight away. (checkin is 3pm) The receptionist was very friendly and helpful.

the room was really good. A massive bed with plently of pillows to chose from. It was very comfy. The room was a good size and it was spotless. The bathroom was also spotless with plently of towels.

Breakfast was very good also. Plently to hose from and filled us up for the whole day.

Every member of staff we spoke to was more than helpful and always friendly.

I don't know what peoples problem is with the lifts. We never had to wait. It always came striaght away.

I have to say, after staying in quite a few hotels in London over the years, this really was the best. And I can't understand other peoples comments and I can be quite fussy!!!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Suz16

Reviewed 2 January 2009

Okay, we travel a lot. We live in London and had friends over and decided to book this hotel which is a 15 minute ride from our house. The hotel is in a great, north-central location, a kilometer from Regents Park, a 10 minute walk from Swiss Cottage tube on the Jubilee Line which gets you to Westminster station in fifteen minutes.

So a great value for a London hotel. But it ends there.

We booked the executive room for our one night new year's eve stay and the room was big, but the extra roll away bed was not in the room when we got there, and was delivered to us - not set up, just plunked down at the front of the door. The beds were so bouncy that it was impossible to get comfortable.

Parking - even by london standards is an OUTRAGEOUS 25 pounds. The hotel staff, who spoke better Arabic than English (!) told us that the hotel validated parking. Not true. They do not and we were incredibly surprised when we checked out. And then the exit machine was broken and we along with other guests had to wait until some dummy returned from break to raise the gate to let us go. Regarding the food: the breakfast room was lined out the door and so we skipped breakfast altogether. But that was not the worst: it was New Year's evening and we, along with our friends and our kids were watching the fireworks from the Executive Lounge, which of course is reserved for 16 year olds and up. Well, together we had 5 youngsters, who were simply sitting watching TV with no-one else in the room except an older couple playing cards and another couple with a young child. A manager happened to walk by (yet again another fellow who spoke more Arabic than English) and actually asked us to leave. When we suggested that he break policy and allow us 20 minutes to watch the nice flat screen and welcome in the new year he said "no, sorry, policy says so", and he actually had a security guard with him! So we left, although I gave this joker a piece of my mind, big time. The next day, our friends did not have their rooms made up until after 6PM, the shower water was anaemic and the bathrooms were desperately in need of upgrade.

The only saving grace of this hotel was the pool and workout room which was good. But the service was SO BAD and the rooms so mediocre that it astounded the mind. In our own city, a world class city, to have such a bad experience is really an outrage. I want to let all Trip Advisor readers know: DO NOT STAY HERE. Go to Gloucester Road and stay at either the Millenium Gloucester or Harrington Hall for a much cheaper rate and minutes from Chelsea, a walk to the museums and a quick ride to Knightsbridge and the Parks. I hope (but doubt) that management will respond to this note, but in our 20 years of travelling in over 90 locations around the world, this was one of the worst experiences ever.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
6  Thank Michael01UK
Reviewed 1 January 2009

I stayed in this hotel for two nights with my wife and two year old daughter. Hotel is a bit old fashion. The area is one of the nicest areas in London. We stayed on the 5th floor. We had no problem with the lift as it was the main down side of the hotel in the reviews. The room was spacious and clean, bathroom was spottlessly clean. Double beds were comfy. I did not like the pillows that were too fat. The only problem we experienced was balcony door locked. If anyone would like to get fresh air inside the room, it is not possible. The price included breakfast that was very good and plenty. We had dinner two nigts at the hotel and we liked the ambient. The waiter Serdar Ali was very polite to us.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Uustuner
Reviewed 23 December 2008

Stayed at this hotel the last couple of days with my two children 10 and 9. Ok you can get to Swiss cottage tube in 5 minutes walk max (Exit 1 from underground). M&S and Subway is less than5 mins (from exit 4)underground). To those who don't know know what M&S is, you can stock up on snacks and goodies and wine and more at normal prices rather than the minibar! This hotel is ok but I won't rate it higher than that. The staff were indifferent. The rooms- oh dear.... Marriott please listen, your ghastly feather pillows are too small if using one and too big for using two. This coupled with an over hot room(turned down a/c as much as I could but to no avail) meant a sleepless night. Hideous sleeepless night for me and the kids. Thanks but no thanks.Won't be back.

Stayed: December 2008
3  Thank NickyInWitney
Reviewed 19 December 2008

I spent a week there this month. I started at a low weekend rate and then was elevated to a higher weekday rate.

When I first stayed here a few years ago, I didn't get a good impression. It was run down. The neighborhood was boring and somewhat threatening, and it just didn't feel right. On this trip though, the price difference was so large and the convenient access to the Jubilee and Metropolitan (finchley road) lines made access to our client's offices easy.

The hotel has been re-done in the past few years, and it is clean and comfortable. Maybe it is me, but the area around the hotel feels like a cohesive neighborhood.

The biggest issues I had are ultimately minor. The elevators are incredibly inefficient. Meeting somebody in the lobby? leave your room well ahead of time. The Concierge Lounge is below average for a Marriott. While they did have "snacks" available every night, quantities were very limited and when they run out of the first tray or two, they replaced them with onion rings (which were gone after the first two or three people. The breakfast there was acceptable to good, though the toaster was broken all week.

The area restaurants are nothing to shout about. You are better off to just hop the Underground and just a couple stops later you are in the heart of the action.

By the end of the week, I was looking forward to the "close in, quietness" of the hotel. I found myself relived to be back there at the end of the long day.

While you can stay in a small boutique hotels close in for the same price, I would recommend this Marriott for those wanting a full service facility.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank GeoMedic
Reviewed 16 December 2008

I stayed in this hotel by myself in December of 2007 to do some sight seeing and meet up with friends before going to stay with family in other parts of the country. I payed $115 for a successful bid on Priceline, which was about half the rack rate.

It's a very pleasant, well appointed, freshly decorated and clean hotel in fairly typical Marriott style. I have stayed in so many 4* London hotels and frankly, they are very disappointing by American standards. Although the lobby and public areas are generally fine, the rooms tend to be small and shabby. You don't get king beds, you get doubles, and in twin rooms you get two singles. However, the twin room in this hotel did have two doubles (they put me in a corner room so it was extra spacious with windows on two sides).

I enjoyed lunch in the cafe and took advantage of the free wireless there. I also had dinner in the main restaurant which was absolutely fine, but more like another cafe than a restaurant, with a rather limited and uninspired ( but quite reasonably priced) selection of food and wine (very 3*ish)

I made use of the gym, which was small but well equipped and peeked in at the pool, which looked quite inviting.

The hotel is about a 7 minute walk from the nearest tube station and then a 15 minute ride into central London. The immediate area is mixed, with some exquisite single dwelling homes and some dingy council flats. However, it is well lit and I felt perfectly safe walking by myself at night to and from the tube station. Despite the name, the hotel is NOT right by Regent's Park.

For the price I paid, this hotel was excellent value. If I had paid full rate, I would only be giving it three circles. Next week I will be spending a night in the London Marriott Maida Vale ($106 on Priceline). It will be interesting to see how they compare and I will post a review of that in the new year.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank Fifiann
Reviewed 8 December 2008

Having just stayed for four nights, making a long weekend break in London, I cannot honestly think of a better hotel to recommend. The reservation process was so simple and the staff were friendly and helpful every step of the way - something that continued when I actually arrived at the hotel and was maintained throughout my time there. The reception staff and concierge could not do enough for me - from recommending places to go and the best places to see, to getting theatre tickets and suggesting walking tours of London that left me with great memories. The food was superb in the hotel. There had clearly been a recent refurbishment of the hotel as everything appeared to be new and the condition of the hotel exceeded its four star rating. Although, the care and attention each staff member displayed probably means that the Marriott Regents Park is like this every day of the year!! It was truly outstanding, set in a great location to explore London and with staff members who were true service professionals. Mr Marriott and his organisation have something to be very proud of!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple