“Forced to stay in a smoking room, otherwise ok”

London Marriott Hotel Regents Park
Ranked #306 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Tampere, Finland
“Forced to stay in a smoking room, otherwise ok”
Reviewed 31 July 2010

We stayed at the London Marriott Hotel Regents Park for two nights.

We booked through Priceline and upon arrival, we were given a smoking room, which was not so pleasant for us non-smokers. The room absolutely reeked of smoke and even the walls were turning a bit yellow. We had to keep the windows open all day and night because of the overwhelming stench. Otherwise the room and bathroom were fine.

The staff were friendly and professional and really apologetic that they could not offer us a non-smoking room as none were available at the time.

The location could be better, in fact calling it Regent's Park is a bit pushing it in my opinion, as the actual park is nearly a mile away from the hotel. The location is not central by any standards. Nevertheless, Swiss Cottage is a nice and safe residential area away from the main tourist crowds and where you see regular Londoners.

Transport connections were also a downside of the location as the Jubilee Line tube at Swiss Cottage was closed due to engineering works during our whole stay. The replacement bus rides took ages to get anywhere from Swiss Cottage so we often went to Chalk Farm in Camden to catch the tube from there.

Overall, considering the cheap rate we paid, the stay was ok, although a bit marred by the unpleasant room. Nevertheless I think there are better areas to stay in London.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2010

On the day we arrived the great service began. We had arrived early and though they did not have a room available they we nice enough to take all our luggage to a separate place so we did not have to look around town with them. They had to make several trips and each time they did it with a smiling face.

I shared a room with my sister, a 2 double beds, and the rooms are surprisingly large for an European hotel room. Each day the rooms were cleaned though they did not see that we had run out of tissues though it was not a big deal. They do have housecleaning that can come in from 8 am to 6 pm but if you prefer they come in at a certain time they only ask that you give them a heads up. We had no problems even though we did not specify (we left at around 8:30 and didn't come back until 8pm on most days.)

Our parents' room's AC didn't work properly but they fixed it they day they were notified and promised a replacement room if they couldn't. We had an inclusive breakfast which is buffet style and has everything you will need. If you don't get the breakfast included I would recommend you go to the little cafe just 2 minutes away. It is by the library building right of the rock climbing walls. Fantastic for a much smaller price.

The location is pretty good, only around 25 min away from central London but we arrived on the weekend and the Jubilee and Metro... something lines were down and we hadn't known ahead of time so we were very lost from a bit. The Swiss cottage area is very quiet and has few restaurants so I would suggest eating else where before returning. The Hotel food is great but expensive.

The fitness center is equipped with many cardio machines and though quite small met my needs. The pool, though I didn't go in, is a good size but does not go very deep.

Another note, the tall, hot pink flower center piece in the lobby is horrendous but don't be afraid, it does not carry on into the rest of the hotel

I hope this was helpful to you all.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Lucky_Girl1990
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 25 July 2010

The London Marriott Hotel Regents Park is an oasis of comfort and tranquility in a residential area of North London, situated nearby Regents Park (natch) and close to the famous Abbey Road recording studio. It is clean and comfortable, staff are most helpful and solicitious, and the full breakfast buffet is outstanding if somewhat pricey (however one can opt for the less expensive cold breakfast buffet, which also is good). We stayed for about a week with a two-day sidetrip, during which we looked forward to returning to our "home away from home" at the Marriott Regents Park. The Swiss Cottage underground stop is an easy walk, as are lots of stores and restaurants along Finchley Road. Lodging costs in London generally are more expensive than in the U.S. (but nowhere near as dear as in Paris!), but you get what you pay for, so if you want to stay somewhere in London with business-style amenities that's comfortable and convenient, the Marriott Regents Park is a great choice.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2010

This was an average hotel in its cleanliness and accomodations. The hotel caters to business travellers and not families. The pool was restricted to children throughout the day during the week and the window of availability was not at all accommodating or flexible. We had to walk through the lobby to get to the swimming pool which was not convenient and inapproperiate.
We found the location convenient to the subway which allowed us easy access to travel around London and see the city.
We would recommend this hotel to a business traveller, but not a to a family on vacation.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Otis_and_friends
Pori, Finland
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Rooms are fine and clean. Staff generally friendy, but some smal details drop it to midlle class. When I ask they deliver to more coffee to our room, lounge guy (not receptionist) write it down and nothing happens and such little things. Food and drink is expensive but its to be expected this class hotel. In total its a good place to stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Florida
Reviewed 8 July 2010

This might get long! Checked in for a long weekend with our kids at 10PM, and asked for a non-smoking room. Sorry sir...we have none left. I have a Marriott silver card and my profile says non-smoking. I have no objections to other people smoking, but not in my vicinity please. I told the receptionist this was not acceptable and played the "I have a silver card, doesnt that get me any priveleges?" card. (Without that card, she was clearly going to tell me to sod off). She went into the back office to talk to someone (who didnt have the courtesy to come out, I must add), eventually coming back to tell me the best they can do is a king size suite, but still on the smoking floor and the would guarantee to move us the next day. Now I got a bit mad and she implied, then quickly retracted that because I had a special rate, I could not presume to get non-smoking!! They offered to show the room first, and although the floor itself reeked of smoke, the room was just about okay, but only had a flimsy sofa bed for the kids.

Next day I confirmed in the morning we, and our luggage, would be moved when we got back. Of course sir. On returning the room was indeed changed but of course the luggage was missing. Cue lots of discussions between porters, concierge, reception and me standing there like a spare part. Maybe 20 minutes later the porter who was sent to find the luggage reappeared and I asked him what was going on...oh we put it in your room 15 minutes ago. WELL COULDNT YOU LET ME KNOW!?!?!?!?

Anyway, apart from some annoying service issues, the hotel itself is actually pretty good for London (and I have stayed in a few bad ones over the years!). Weekend was full of families with kids. The room was quite large, although our bed was a bit soft. Assuming the Jubilee line is actually working it is an easy tube ride into London. The food (breakfast and dinner) were of a good standard, and the place is not overly priced (for London!).

Would I stay there again? Probably, but I'd need a guaranteed non-smoking room!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Having stayed at numerous Marriotts around the world, I would rate this location in the upper quartile. By London standards, the price is reasonable. The hotel is set in a leafy area north of Regent's Park, near the Swiss Cottage Underground station on the Jubilee line. The quality of the furnishings and their standards of upkeep are above the Marriott norm (and above the London norm as well). The hotel rated five stars on cleanliness, and was kind enough to grant us a check out extension on our last day. You would not travel to the hotel as a destination in its own right, but it certainly is a pleasant enough place to stay. I would have liked the hotel more had it offered free or low cost Internet access. GBP 15 per day is a bit steep, and the prices in the business center are no better.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family