“Excellent value at Hotel Russell London”

The Principal London
Ranked #444 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent value at Hotel Russell London”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Just returned from spending a few days in London at the Hotel Russell, Russell Square. An excellent hotel with well appointed rooms, good service and good food

1 Thank Haigh99
guestservices_10, Guest Relations Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn you had a fantastic experience at Hotel russell and you enjoyed the standrds and services offered. I look forward to your next visit.
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (855)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lond
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Big Hotel. Everything comes with an extra cost. traditional. High ceiling, indoor room -special price no air. Noisy.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. Iam glad you had an overall enjoyable stay at Hotel Russell. Iam sorry if you felt the prices were on expensive side however we offer comparable prices should we compare ourselves to the other competition in the local area. I have noted your comments about the external noise in the room and hope that you will have an opportunity to experience one of our Superior bedrooms on your next visit. We look forward to your next visit.
Pwllheli
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed at Hotel Russell in Holborn just a 10 minute walk from Euston Railway Station for one night prior to catching the Eurostar (St. Pancras nearby too) to Brussells the next morning. Got a very good rate on the hotel which was very impressive. The rooms, meals were all very nice but I personally, enjoyed the 2 or 3 drinks we had in the Lounge in the evening. Very peaceful with dimmed lighting accompanying the decor splendidly.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. Iam glad to learn that you had a fantastic stay at Hotel Russell and everything met your expectations especially the ambience of the Tempus Bar. I look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.
new york
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Hotel Russell in a Deluxe twin room. The room was very nice and clean. I was out visiting my daughter and my friend called the front desk to ask for someone to come up and check the air conditioning. They said someone would be up in 15 minutes. My friend decided to take a quick shower and when she came out of the bathroom 10 minutes later with nothing on a maintenance man was in the room. She screamed and ran back in the bathroom. Without so much as an apology he left.

Later on we went down and asked for a manager and told them about the incident. They said they would check into it and get back to us. The next day they said they spoke to the maintenance man and he understood he should not have entered the room unannounced. We told them that we expected some compensation due to this incident and they said they were sorry, but could not offer us any compensation aside from a drink at the bar and would give us a discount on our next stay.

They seemed totally annoyed by our complaint and really did not go out of their way to remedy the situation. Most of the staff were unfriendly and not helpful in anyway. I was very disappointed because I chose the hotel because of the good reviews.

Room Tip: Get a front room facing the park, very pretty and try to upgrade to a deluxe room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank soniram
guestservices_10, Guest Relations Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. As you are aware , we launched a full investigation on receipt of Ms Post’s comments and apologise that such an incident happened in the first instance. As stated earlier in my correspondence , the maintenance team member followed the standard procedures and knocked three times before announcing and letting himself in. If he would have heard the water running in the shower, he would have waited or called in at a later time. Unfortunately, the knocks on the door were not audible enough due to running water and such a situation arose. We are extremely apologetic for the series of events and assure you procedures shall be revisited to prevent any such situation to reoccur, though I assure you this is the first complaint of this nature.
I am sorry you were inconvenienced. I assure you this is an isolated incident and not indicative of the usual standards we pride ourselves at Hotel Russell. I am sure you will appreciate the fact that the circumstances surrounding the incident were unfortunate and unintentional. I feel the team were empathetic towards the situation and a future offer of a preferential rate along with a complimentary upgrade is a fair offer under the circumstances. I trust this experience will not deter you from returning to Hotel Russell in the near future.
Moscow
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Stayed in march 2012 for 12 days. The rooms were very clean and were cleaned every day. The staf was friendly, but there are quite a few foreign girl working at the receprion desk and they have problems understanding English, so if you want to ask them for directions or for an adapter, you might not be satisfied. The British museum and the tube station are just around the corner. You can find Tesco, Whiterose and Pret-a-manger within 1 min walk from the hotel. The Euston train station is an 11 min walk away. The room was VERY small, the shower a bit rusty, plus there are big problems with pressure in the water pumps, so if you are used to long hot showers then you might forget about that. Loved the staircase, the interior was nice, but one day the electricity shut down so had to walk up to the 6th floor and that wasnt a great experience, although the hotel offere a free drink. The breakfast was really nice, great variety of foods, although you should eat early or you wont find a place to sit. The Wi-Fi is not free. I got a card from the reception and went down to the business center, which is not open 24/7 and had an unpleasant surprise when i could use the same card the next day as it has expired. So you pay 5pounds even for 5 min. The hotel is nice but too overpriced

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Iam glad you had an overall enjoyable stay at Hotel Russell. I have noted your concerns and assure you immediate remedial action shall be taken into all the points highlighted. I apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the power outage however it was a National Grid issue beyond our control. Our teams made every effort to assist the guests in such a situation. I am sorry to learn that you could not use the Internet voucher at the kiosk at your preffered time however Iam sure the Duty manager would have been forthcoming in offering assistance if the matter was brought to our attention. I trust we will have another opportunity to welcome you back again.
Durham, UK
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Revisiting Hotel Russell, still on business, but first time as a coeliac.
The agency who booked the room hadn't told them about this, so I had a long wait whilst they worked out what I could eat - any chance of a gluten free menu next time? However the food was ok when it came. The room was a disabled one, at the back on the second floor, close to the extractor fans, and so fairly noisy. It had a fridge with complementary water, but the tv was still as fuzzy as before, and the wireless still expensive. One thing I found out is that Russell Square is only a short walk from Euston, so no need to take the tube! :)

Would I stay again? I possibly would, but not without considering the other options.

• Stayed March 2012
guestservices_10, Guest Relations Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. Iam glad that your overall stay was enjoyable however I apologise we did not meet your expectations fully. I have noted your comments regrading the dietary requirements and apologise in absence of any advance notification, you had to wait whilst your request was being met. I am sorry if you felt the room was noisy. I am sure you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon when we can make amends and restore your faith in Hotel Russell.
manchester
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My husband and I stayed once more at the Russell over the Easter weekend for four nights. We had a wonderful time, and as usual the staff are so welcoming and friendly. This time we had two evenings in which we had a meal wihich was good. However the lovely Agnes and Christiana made it a five star experience by their lovely warm welcome and service. Believe me you won't get any better service in London. The staff in the mornings are also so helpful and kind, nothing is too much trouble.
My husband and I have been to the Russell many times, and I also visit regularly with my mother. Trust me, we wouldn't go anywhere else now, from the moment you walk in to the moment you leave everyone couldn't be more helpful. This time we had a room on the 7th Floor and it was amazing, overlooking the park, massive room just wonderful.
Also everywhere is walkable and not too far, Oxford Street is 15 minutes and you have a tube station round the corner from the hotel. We will be back before the year is out again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 5th floor as they have been revamped.
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you had such a wonderful stay and everything was to your satisfaction. I have personally congratulated the team members highlighted for offering exceptional service to all our guests. Thank you again for your candid comments. I look forward to your fothcoming visits to Hotel Russell.