“Good location tiny bathroom slim people only small bedroom”

The Principal London
Ranked #439 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Good location tiny bathroom slim people only small bedroom”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

This was a Superbreak deal which I guess made it better value, I requested an updated room as we stayed 4 nights, we were given Rooney on 6th floor. The bedroom was smal/cramped and the bathroom was very very small glad I am not overweight as I would not have been able to use sink, why when it was done have a bath when a shower is more than adequate when there is not much room ?
Very mean mean with tea/coffee and shampoo etc was not good quality, MY REAL MOAN IS THE WIFI WHICH I REGUSED TO PAY £15 FOR, DISGRACEFUL.
Location is very good and breakfast was good but waitress had never heard of tomato juice when I requested it at breakfast time, also no porridge.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sango61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (855)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Staff fine,checked in early,standard room .bar very. expensive ,breakfast poor organization terrible ,ate breakfast in the bar area still had dirty glasses on the bar from the night before.would stay here again but would lower my expectations

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank macytron
guestservices_10, Guest Relations Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that you found both the bar and breakfast menus expensive. Our breakfast is a choice of a continental or full English Buffet and we ensure that we have a variety of different dishes to suit all of our guests. We pride ourselves on the elegance of our bar and can assure you that the prices are inline with other leading hotels in the area, but have certainly taken your comments into consideration.

I am sorry to read that some used glasses were on the bar area upon your arrival in the morning and have highlighted this to my Food and Beverage Manager.

I am pleased that you were happy with our staff and that you were able to check in early with us. I am pleased that you will be joining us again at Hotel Russell in the future and do hope that we can exceed your expectations.

Lincolnshire
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I have been staying at the Russell for many years. It has always been a little variable on the quality front- some rooms are excellent both in size and quality, whilst others are sub-average. This review needs to be read in the context that I have stayed in a good number of central London hotels at this price point.

Rooms are on the whole, typical for a London hotel. Reasonably comfortable, but there seems to have been some cost cutting recently on the in room facilities. Tea and Coffee in the room has gone down hill and the toiletries are very basic. The location is good and having a tube station literally just around the corner has always been an advantage.

Noise is my biggest concern in hotels and it is easy to get the wrong room at the Russell in this respect. Rooms to the front suffer from traffic noise, rooms to the rear from the air-conditioning units positioned in the inner 'court'. I was on the 8th floor on my most recent visit and this is about as good as it gets.

I can't say I like the new decor of the restaurant which especially grates at breakfast. The room is not especially bright anyway, but the lighting scheme now seems to be aimed at being trendy rather than functional. Half light might be OK for dinner, but something a little more vibrant for breakfast would be appropriate.

I won't be staying at the Russell again though. The issue is wi-fi. For business, having free wi-fi access is no longer a luxury. Even for leisure travellers, how can a capital city hotel justify charging for wi-fi access? (Heck, you can get it for free on the train!) There are enough hotels offering the same or better than the Russell- wi-fi is the final reason for me to change my loyalty.

Room Tip: You need to be high up to get away from the AC noise. 8th floor rooms are not the biggest, but they...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Kay549
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the size and quality of some of our rooms. Due to the age and structure of the building each room has its own unique charm. We do endeavour to meet all of our guest’s requirements and I am sorry that certain rooms were not completely to your liking.

We provide a wide selection of teas and coffees in each room as we understand that each guest has their own preference, but do welcome suggestions regarding the variety of beverages available.

We pride ourselves on providing good quality toiletries and I am also sorry that this did not meet your expectations and will certainly pass this on to my Housekeeping Manager for her consideration.

Regrettably the noise levels are beyond our control due to central London traffic. Due the complexity of the building the air conditioning units have been placed in the central courtyard and I do apologise for the inconvience of this.

In our restaurant we have ensured that we have remained within the style of grandeur of the building, but still ensured that this was functional. During the day we allow as much natural light in as possible and have a much softer setting for the evening ambience.

We have recently updated our wi fi to ensure faster, more convenient access for all of our guests at any location in the hotel. With regards to the price, according to our research we are in line with other leading hotels in the area. Nevertheless please be assured that we have taken your comments on board and I am sorry that you were disappointed by this.

We do appreciate your comments and please do be assured that they have been taken on board. I do hope that you may change your mind and that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night after a week in Scotland. We were offered an upgrade on check-in, but declined as it would be an added expense for just one night. We were offered a morning paper, but that was also an added cost. Wi-Fi? An added 15 Pounds. Need to print out our boarding passes for the next day's flight home...an added 5 Pounds. Are you getting the message? While most hotels are adding amenities to keep their customer base, this hotel seems to be going in the opposite direction!
Our room was on the first floor, small, dark and dingy, about a half mile from the elevator. The towel ring came off the wall when I tried to hang a towel, one light could not be turned off except by locating the plug and flipping the current off, and I burned my finger on the unshielded 1000 degree light bulbs at the bed side. Bright spot- Bernard the Concierge!

Room Tip: Take the upgrade.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wisconco
guestservices_10, Guest Relations Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 17 June 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay.

The hotel is a historical building with each room having its own unique charm, but I am sorry that your room did not meet your expectations. I do also apologise if you were under the impression that we provide all items at a cost. We endeavour to give our guests as many options as possible hence the mention of an upgrade to a more spacious suite to enhance their stay and a newspaper as we want our guests to be as comfortable as possible and be able to read the paper of their choice.

I am pleased to inform you that we have recently upgraded our wi fi so it faster and more convenient. This allows guest to access the internet throughout the hotel included their rooms. I am also sorry that you found the £5 voucher too expensive, according to our research we are in line with other hotels in the area, but will certainly take your comments on board.

I am sorry that you encountered a problem with the towel ring and lamp and can assure you that has been addressed by our Chief Maintenance Engineer as soon as we became of these issues. I do hope that your finger is now better and only wish you had informed us of this.

I am delighted, however that Bernard, our concierge provided exceptional service and will certainly pass this on to him. Thank you for your very kind comment.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to turn around your experience on your next visit to London.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed for 4 nights, the room was very small with frosted glass, no face cloths or slippers available even after request, air conditioning not working properly, cleaning staff entering room at 9 am after one knock, breakfast 2 star quality or less, upon sitting at table tea or coffee are poured out, with no regard to allowing time for fruit or cereal to be got , eggs swimming in grease, one waiter who had hair spiked was only person with any competence, the rest totally lacking guidance and training, all buffet food was more cold than hot every morning, bar food not up to any standard, with virtually no one eating there. This hotel urgently needs a change of management, to people that actually are capable of satisfying customers needs and thereby making money, customers are forced out of this hotel to eat.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MTY65
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced on your visit.

According to our market research guests prefer to bring their own slippers and face cloths. We can of course arrange this for you in advance if requested. I am sorry to read that a member of our Housekeeping team entered the room after one knock and have highlighted this to my Housekeeping Manager and I do apologise for this.

I was so disappointed to read your comments regarding your breakfast experience as we normally receive many compliments on the wide variety of hot and cold dishes available as well as the quality of our fresh food. I have passed on your comments to our Head Chef for his consideration. I am also sorry for the poor service you experienced as we do pride ourselves on providing exceptional service, but I am pleased that a member of our team was extremely helpful.

Please do let me assure you that our Tempus lounge is extremely popular throughout the day for continental breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea as well the bar area, and do hope that you will have the opportunity to experience this upon your next visit to London at Hotel Russell.

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Picture this:
9 pm of the 28th of May in Rome, I book an hotel room at the Russell for 100 pounds through a web engine ("Hotels London - making London more accommodating"....!) , I pay with card, after 10 minutes I receive the confirmation e-mail and I realize that the date I put was wrong (I put 28th rather than 29th which was the day after and the right date).
I IMMEDIATELY start calling the engine and when I eventually get hold of them someone tells me that the Hotel does not accept amendments...........
I phone the Hotel and a lady, Sophie, tells me that I should talk to the reservations team the next morning after 10 am... (by when I would have already no showed....) I told them that I just wanted to move the booking to the next day; and had to do it immediately otherwise I would have no showed and lost money + booking.
They DID NOT POSTPONE MY BOOKING AND MADE ME LOOSE THE NIGHT, THE MONEY AND THE NEXT DAY THEY SAID I SHOULD HAVE MAKE A NEW BOOKING AND PAY IT, OF COURSE ANEW.
I think this is unacceptable from A to Z of the process. The Hotels London engine gives NO ADDED VALUE AND THE HOTEL DID NOT CONSIDER HUMAN ASPECTS SUCH A MISTAKE POINTED OUT IMMEDIATELY.
This way of treating customers not only is not flexible but has nothing to do with hospitality and professionalism.

sara schivazappa (Rome)

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank SaraSchivazappa
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that you had booked the incorrect date. As mentioned in our email on 29th May, we do endeavour to accommodate all guests requests, however as per the terms and conditions which you had agreed to, any changes made to your booking need to be done through the company who had booked this. I am pleased, however that our team did try to assist you, however the new date that you had requested was already fully booked.

Again, I do apologise for any inconvenience caused, and I would like to reiterate our offer of a preferential rate upon your next visit as a goodwill gesture.

Thurso, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

On the whole this is a reasonable hotel. But beware, the websites do not show the standard rooms which is what we were given. For the price charged you can get better rooms in a Travelodge. Small, dingy and not the cleanest. We were upgraded to a superior twin which was slightly better. The beds were really comfy though.

The reception staff were not very friendly although all other staff were excellent.

Breakfast excellent, although very disorganised.

Room Tip: Check what you're getting.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. Please accept my apologies that you were disappointed with your initial room. Due to the size and age of the building each room has its own unique charm. We do have a variety of different rooms ranging from single rooms to suites and I am pleased that we were able to provide you with a room that met your requirements. We want all of our guests to be as comfortable as possible.

We pride ourselves on exceptional standards and I am sorry your room was not cleaned according to our high levels and have highlighted this to my Housekeeping Manager to address. Please let me assure you that this is an unusual occurrence

I was disappointed to read the comments regarding our reception staff as we normally receive many compliments regarding their professionalism and helpfulness, but will certainly take your comments on board. I am glad, however that you enjoyed the friendliness of the rest of our team.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast experience and will pass on your kind comments to our Head Chef. I do hope that we may the pleasure of welcoming you to Hotel Russell in the future.