“over priced London hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Principal London

The Principal London
Ranked #433 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“over priced London hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

Excellent location. Very dark, dreary interior, although the marble is impressive. £15 for wifi - outrageous!!! Comfortable bedroom, but top of sink tap missing and bath/shower dangerous for older people to climb in and out. Very bothersome housekeeping staff forever knocking at the door - something I have not come across before during my frequent travelling. Very good breakfast with extremely attentive staff. Hardly any lobby chairs - beware if you want to wait for any length of time before/after travelling. Overall, I found this hotel overpriced for what was on offer.

1 Thank Aquarius0
guestservices_10, Guest Relations Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay. We are extremely proud of the richness of our architecture which was created over 114 years ago and receive many compliments regarding this. Nevertheless I am sorry to read that this was not to your liking.

We have recently upgraded our internet facilities to ensure faster, more efficient coverage which allows guests to access this in any area of the hotel and makes this more convenient. Please let me assure you that our prices are in line with other leading hotels in the area.

We have a variety of different rooms and bathrooms to suit all guests and endeavour to accommodate any requirements. I only wish you had informed us of your concerns at the time as we would have done our utmost to accommodate your requests. I do apologise that the top of the tap had come loose and have requested our maintenance team to ensure that this is checked on a regular basis.

As per most hotels our housekeeping team will knock three times before entering a room unless a 'do not disturb' is displayed and do apologise that you found this bothersome. Please let me assure you that this was not our intention.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the comfortable room and breakfast as well as our attentive staff as we pride ourselves on providing exceptional service.

As well as the lobby area we do have our Tempus Bar and Lounge area which you can relax in and do hope that you may have the opportunity to experience this in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Scarborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

Location is perfect easy to find. Prior to arrival, found out my booking wasn't in the system so I had forwarded my email to the receptionist who then took another 20 mins to input the booking. Once she in putted the booking I was then asked to provide a card to pay for the room even though the confirmation clearly stated that it had been paid for already. I wasn't going to pay an extra £200+ for a mistake that the hotel had made.

Providing it was already 12 midnight and I wasn't allowed to go into a room I had already paid for. I think this hotel is one of the worst I have ever been to. The night manager was extremely rude and inconsiderate. I cancelled the booking and stayed at another hotel that night.

I can't express how badly I was treated I have never experienced this before. It's an experience I will not forget.

6 Thank Ib B
guestservices_10, Guest Relations Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced. Our Reservations team are usually extremely efficient in creating bookings and if possible we would like to have some more information regarding this as this may have been booked through a third party. As per most hotels credit card details are taken upon check in, this is a standard procedure even if the booking has already been paid for and I am sorry if this was misunderstood in anyway. I do apologise that you felt you had to cancel your booking due to this and for the manner in which the night manager addressed the situation as this is quiet unusual. If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to contact our Guest Relations Executive, Bebita Dhaya at bebita.dhaya@principal-hayley.com as we would like to genuinely address your concerns.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Walsall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

when i found out i had been booked into the russell hotel i looked on here at the reviews and for a week i panicked the reviews were a little worrying, we arrived at Russell square tube station took a 2 minute walk and found the hotel, it was perfectly located. we walked into reception and were in awe of its historic beauty, a huge crystal chandalere took my breathe away. the Lady at reception was extremly polite and helpful and checked us in straight away and pointed us in the directions of the lifts. every member of staff we saw all said hello with smile. our room was on the 6th Floor facing the park so we had the most wonderful view over the park and the square. The room although a little tired was amazing, yes it could do with new carpets, double glazing and ceilings painted but i had spotlessly clean sheets on the most comfortable bed i have ever slept in, with lots of pillows, lots of space for clothing and suitcases with coathangers available, the bathroom was also spotless with fresh towels, toiletries and all those little extras that help make your stay nicer. tea & coffee facilities were available although we never used them. the room had aircon which yes is a little noisey but did not prevent me from sleeping. next morning we went into the restaurant for berakfast, every member of staff we saw again smiled and said goodmorning, the breakfast was a self serve buffet but everything you could wish for was there, cereals, toast, pasteries, full english, fresh fruit fresh bread. tea and coffee. the food was goregous apart from the scrambled egg. but cannot complain about anything else. we stayed here on a theatre break for our wedding anniversary and it was wonderful, no complaints it was a really wonderful stay and i would definatly reccomend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: if you can upgrade to a superior do as you will have lots more room, and defianlty ask if they have...
1 Thank kelly76x
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am extremely delighted that you had such a wonderful time with us. We endeavour to make each guest feel as special and relaxed as possible whilst staying with us. I am so pleased that you had a wonderful sleep and enjoyed the crisp, clean sheets and towels as well as the amazing view. We understand the importance of breakfast and ensure that we have a variety of dishes for all taste buds and I am also pleased that this was done with a smile. I will certainly pass on your very kind comments to our team. We are currently going through a refurbishment programme and will certainly take your comments on board.

It will be our pleasure to welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Our stay at the Russell Hotel, on Russell Square near the British Museum was very pleasant. The staff were helpful and the hotel's proximity to the underground made it very convenient. The rooms were very pleasant and surprisingly spacious for London.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

As a business hotel, this places fails to hit the mark completely. Generally you want a decent bed, laptop safe, working TV and good coffee. It's not much to ask for.

Location is fantastic, with the British Museum close by and a good selection of restaurants and a Tube station within a minute's walk.

Room was unclean (bedside table not cleaned). No view to speak of as the windows were frosted over - could have been an internal courtyard perhaps.
TV rebooted a couple of times, and also lost signal a few times.
Light switch crackled in use, which was a bit scary.
Towel rail stayed on all night, and aircon too noisy to run at night, meaning a warm stay.
The crowning achievement was the laptop safe - it's portable! What's the point in providing this if you can just pick it up and walk out with it?!? As I was on my own, I did consider taking it on a tour of London to keep me company and to make a mockery of the whole thing.

Breakfast - nothing special, and the pot of coffee I was served tasted suspiciously like instant Kenco. Very black coffee with no residue makes me suspicious that it was. Eggs looked particularly unappetising, and the sausages were cheap and overcooked.

It's not the worst hotel I've stayed in, but if I was paying the rack rate of around £250 B&B I'd be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank AlasdairMc
guestservices_10, Guest Relations Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am so sorry to read that you were unhappy with certain aspects of your stay with us.

We do pride ourselves on providing excellent standards and I am so disappointed to read that you found the table in your room unclean and have highlighted this to our Housekeeping Manager. She has asked me to apologise to you on her behalf.

I am also sorry for the maintenance issues you encountered and only wish you had informed us as we would have been more than happy to rectify this for you. The televisions are checked on a regular basis, however thank you for informing us that this needs to be reset.

Our Chief Maintenance Engineer has personally inspected the light switch and ensured that it is safe to use.

I am sorry that you were unaware where the towel rail switch was located as a member of team would have gladly assisted you.

I do agree with you that the safe should be secured in the cupboard and sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that this caused you. Thank you for highlighting this to us and please be assured that this will be done as soon as possible.

We understand the importance of breakfast and hence ensure that we have a variety of dishes available to suit all palates. We normally receive many compliments regarding this and I am also sorry to read that this was not to your liking.

I only wish you had informed us on the day of your concerns as we would have gladly sat down with you to address them. Nevertheless, we do appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback and do hope that you will have another opportunity to visit us again at Hotel Russell as we would like to turn around your experience for you.

Coleraine, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I have stayed here several times on business because location is great, staff friendly and accommodation ok. This was the first time I saw a menu on the breakfast table! It was a laugh. Firstly it breaks the Trades Description Act because there is a banana on the cover and in the 2 years I have been coming here I have never seen one on offer at breakfast. Secondly the breakfasts are self service, have always been mediocre and to discover they are now charging £19.50 for one is outrageous. Go to one of the many little cafes on the side streets between the hotel and Paddington! Thirdly if you fancy having an omelette made for you instead of the plastic scrambled egg on offer you will be charged a further £12.50! Finally if you want a cappuccino instead of their awful tea or coffee it will cost you another £2.50. Management here obviously feel their guests are fair game for exploitation.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Arnie120
guestservices_10, Guest Relations Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that you were disappointed in particular with the breakfast part of your stay. We provide a selection of fruits including bananas in the morning, however I am sorry that the bananas seem to be taken before your arrival at breakfast. We can of course arrange this upon request.

I can assure you that our prices are in line with other leading hotels in London and we normally recieve many compliments regarding the variety of dishes we have available. I am also disappointed to read that you were not too happy with the service provided. I only wish you had informed us of your concerns at the time as we strive to create and maintain high standards and would certainly have rectified any issues you may have had. Nevertheless, if you do join us again at Hotel Russell please do let us know as I would be more than happy to sit down and discuss your feedback with you. Atlernativley if preferred you can contact our Guest Relations Executve, Bebita Dhaya if you would like to discuss this further as we do value any comments that we receive.

Yours Sincerely

Long Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

Very convenient location, at Russell Square tube stop, direct line from Heathrow. Old world charm and friendly staff. Hallways on room floors a bit mundane, beautiful staircase.

2 Thank plakmt
guestservices_10, Guest Relations Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed the charm and ambience of our Hotel as well the service provided by our team. The staircase is exceptionally beautiful and I am pleased that you had the opportunity to view this. I do hope that we may have the pleaure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell in the not too distant future.