“Lovely hotel, terrible sleep”

The Principal London
Ranked #447 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on a weekday for a course I had in London the following day. Reception was efficient enough. My room was a generous size and had all the comfort I needed. I was disappointed that the hotel did not offer any free wifi in the rooms, I think this is a basic that almost everyone has on their home therefore a hotel of such quality would do itself a favour my investing in this for guests.
The window being very old did not close properly which meant I was woken up on several occasions throughout the night by traffic outside and by a cold breeze coming in through the gap in the window frame.
Bathroom was nice with a good shower. I found the room a little dark for doing make up etc maybe a better positioned mirror or lighting would help.
Breakfast was good with a big selection.
Lovely hotel just a shame about the lack of sleep.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank ChaDeen
Julie_Hammond_13, General Manager at The Principal London, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you had a pleasant stay at Hotel Russell in a well appointed, comfortable bedroom and enjoyed the sumptuous breakfast selection offered in our Tempus Restaurant.

I have noted your comments with regards to the bedroom lighting and apologise you did not have a good night’s sleep due to outside London traffic noise. Our team would have done their utmost to rectify the situation with the windows or offer an alternative room if the concern was brought to their attention however I understand it might not have been a suitable option for you at the time.

We have recently upgraded our Internet facilities with a new supplier to high speed wireless in all areas of the Hotel with improved bandwidth. Currently we offer similar pricing should we compare ourselves to the local competition in the area. Free 30 minute access was previously available however in light of comments regarding slow connectivity and limited access, this has been replaced with voucher access that guarantees high speed and reliability.

I look forward to welcome you again to Hotel Russell in the near future.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed one night on business and paid £79 for this hotel - I guess special weekend rate. Stunning building in a great location. My room was a good size, clean and a nice view to the street to the front - a little noisy if you are a light sleeper. Receptionist was OK - a little brusque but efficient. I did not use the restaurant or have breakfast so cant comment - however if you want to avoid the vast cost for a breakfast in the hotel there is a lovely cafe in the park opposite.
All in all, a good experience.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front are not double glazed and can become noisy
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank WestWalesHorse

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to learn that your recent stay at Hotel Russell was enjoyable and the location was perfect as per your requirements.

I am pleased that the team served you efficiently in a professional manner and the bedroom allocated met your expectations. In future we shall make sure you are allocated a room more to your preference as you were concerned on this occasion by outside London Traffic noise. I look forward to welcome you back to Hotel Russell on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We visit Hotel Russell several times a year. We find it exceptional value for money. Over the years we have stayed at many London hotels but regard the Russell Hotel as being one of the very best we have experienced, if not the best, for comfort, cleanliness, food and above all the friendly and efficient nature of the staff. The receptionists always have a ready smile and spend some time in introducing the hotel to those guests on their first visit. Difficult situations are handled politely and efficiently. The rooms are clean, comfortable and maintained to a high standard during our visit. The breakfasts are very good with a wide variety of food and plenty of it to suit all tastes. The breakfast room staff are very friendly and are able to operate very efficiently during peak times. From time to time we have dined at the hotel when the food is excellent.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

It is a delight to learn that you choose Hotel Russell during all your trips to London and we continue to meet all your expectations in terms of standards and facilities offered. We value your custom and hope we will continue to offer the exceptional service that we pride ourselves at to all our guests and will be your preferred choice of Hotels in London for many more years to come.

I look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have just arrived at the hotel, here on business until Friday. Vital for that business is access to the internet from the hotel and on reading the confirmation slip indeed it lists internet amongst on offer within the rooms - along with sky TV, tea and coffee making facilities, iron etc. I have arrived at the hotel to be informed 12hrs access is chargeable at £10 which seems very unusual for a hotel that describes itself as luxury - charging for something that is included in the price of much cheaper hotels and on public transport! What is more frustrating is that the confirmation I received is entirely misleading in that it lists internet amongst other inclusive of price services. On approaching reception to flag this - next to a board with 'talkback' scrawled on it and encouraging feedback from guests - I am told it is listed because it is an 'option'. when I politely point out that there are many options such as breakfast in bed, room service etc that come potentially with a charge (as one would likely expect) but these are not listed, but Internet is explicitly listed in a misleading way, I am told there is. Itching that can be done.

There is of course something that can be done - I could pay the £40 required to have a half day access from the comfort of my 'luxury' room to internet that can be found free on public trains, taking total bill for 4days to £602 or I could stand by principles and advise other travellers to find a cheaper hotel that is aligned with modern expectations and provides wifi included in room rate, confirms room descriptions in confirmations clearly and does something about it when a guest advises that something fundamental to the purposes of their visit has been misrepresented.

Before closing, if just like to make it clear I have never posted on this site before or left negative reviews of places in a public forum but felt compelled to write this as I believe firstly, the service here was misrepresented and secondly, because I want the hotel to act on this feedback and provide wifi to guests as other establishments do!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Cmack1983

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you chose to stay at Hotel Russell during your business trip to London. However I am sorry to learn that you are dissatisfied with certain aspects of your stay, in particular Internet charges. I am dismayed that you felt you were misled by the Hotel in room amenity information. I assure you we do not advertise free Internet access either on Principal-Hayley or any other 3rd party booking websites. Internet is listed as a facility available in the bedrooms which the guests can opt to use as per their individual requirements.

The pricing is inline with other Hotels in the area and to keep our room rates competitive, we do not incorporate wi fi prices in our room rates which is a common practice in many other hotels. Free 30 minute access was previously available however in light of comments regarding slow connectivity and limited access, this has been replaced with voucher access that guarantees high speed and reliability.

I am sorry you felt this matter could have been handled more efficiently by our team. Please be assured this has been reiterated to the team and our Senior management team is always available to speak to should you wish to discuss the matter further with them on your departure.

Fast check in / out.
Massive room.
Friendly staff.
Great breakfast selection.
Nice bar area.
Restaurant good value for money...not sure about chips with my starter though?!
Location is superb.
Got this on late rooms.com so only paid £68 for the night. So really can't argue with the price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to learn that you had a fantastic stay at Hotel Russell and everything was to your satisfaction. I am pleased that the services and facilities offered in all areas of the Hotel met your expectations and you will consider Hotel Russell for your future visits to London.

I look forward to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Lovely hotel, excellent location - very near Russell Square Tube. Don't use the map on their own website though as its totally wrong!
Soho, Oxford Street etc is all walkable. We walked from Kings Cross and it was fine.

Room Tip: Dont get a room looking out over the generators (we were room 146) as they're noisy so earplugs...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Russell and its central location was ideal as per your travel requirements. I assure you the map details on Principal-Hayley website are absolutely correct, I am sorry if you felt it was unclear in anyway. However I agree with you, we are a short walking distance to Covent Garden and Euston and King’s Cross stations and a stone’s throw away from major London attractions. I hope you will choose to stay at Hotel Russell on all your future visits to London.

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here recently and hotel was lovely. Nice breakfast, polite staff and rooms were clean. Ate a meal in the bar which again was nice. Would definitely recommend this hotel. Lots of restaurants nearby and tube just around the corner. Quiet location and lovely location in Russell Square but central.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Julie_Hammond_13, General Manager at The Principal London, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am so pleased to learn that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay at Hotel Russell and our facilities impressed you. I am glad your room was to your liking and you enjoyed the breakfast and dining experience in the Tempus Restaurant and Bar. Thank you for commending our team, I agree they are an asset to the establishment. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again when you next visit London.