“Very Nice”

Ranked #443 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Very Nice”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We got a cheap deal of the internet for one night and this was excellent value for money large room big bed very clean and very well appointed bathroom. The staff where very helpful and could not do enough for you.The hotel is well situated for convent garden etc.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bart L, Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor , following your recent stay at Hotel Russell.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our elegant, well appointed, spacious and comfortable bedrooms and the location suited you perfectly. Thank you for commending the team, it means a lot and motivates them to keep up the good work.

We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (855)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I booked 2 nights as a Christmas present for my partner. We arrived at 12.30 (1.5 hours before our room should have been ready). I took a chance and queued for approx. 15 mins at reception to see if the room was ready early. The receptionist booked me in and said the room would be ready by 1.30pm. As we wished to go out for a walk, I was invited to leave our bags with the concierge. On the concierge's desk was a sign, 'concierge away, please enquire at Reception'. I returned to reception and not wishing to queue again went straight to the receptionist. She told me she could not serve people out of turn and to return to the rear of the queue.
We decided to have a drink in the bar until 1.30. I returned to reception only to be told the room would not be ready until 2.30!
We went out for a walk (still with our cases), and returned at 2.30 to be told housekeeping was running behind and the room would be ready at 3.30!!
The following day we were out all day, returning at 5.00pm to find the room still being cleaned.
The housekeeper also left her master room key in out lock. I returned this to reception where no body seemed in the least bothered as to the security implications of leaving a master card lying around!
That night we had to phone down as we could hear music playing (despite us being on the 5th floor) until 11.30, quite late for a Sunday we thought.
I mentioned this at check out, only to be told 'there was no music playing last night', only for the same person to say moments later' oh, unless it was the wedding party'!!!
My initial thought was not to put these comments on a public forum so I tracked down the parent company PH Hotels and wrote to the CEO. Guess what....., a month later and I have had no response. I was looking to stay for another few nights in London but I will never stay her again.

Room Tip: Choose one in another hotel!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Barrie A

Thank you for your review.

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced on your arrival and during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests and did endeavour to get the room ready for you on your arrival, prior to check in time of 14:00 however we encountered an unforeseen delay as many of our guests opted for late check out. I assure you the team did their best in the given situation and I apologise if you felt unassisted due to concierge being away from the desk at the time. For future we shall ensure, the concierge breaks are covered so the guests are not inconvenienced during busy periods at Reception.

I will look into the key card issue that you have highlighted whilst assuring you that safety and security of all our guests is of paramount importance to us. The key cards are left in the room by Housekeepers for the lights and they are not master keys, however this shall be further investigated in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel facilities further.

I am sorry to learn that the noise from an event caused disturbance. We have volume controllers in place and for future shall review the room allocation and follow through to ensure that the guests not attending the event are located as far from the function room as possible.

Principal-Hayley group is committed to provide exceptional service to all our guests and I assure you, having received any correspondence following your stay, you would have had a response. I am sorry to learn that this was not the case. Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss the matter further as I am keen to restore your faith in Hotel Russell.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Kent, England
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

We just stayed for one night and found the hotel clean and conveniently located. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was a little small but nicely decorated. We got a deal and it was well worth the money.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Arterfamily
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased that we lived up to the usual excellent standards that we pride ourselves at Hotel Russell. I have made sure to share your comments with our team.

We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.

W Sussex
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The location is excellent, tube nearby and attractions within easy walking distance. The building is very impressive. The Concierge greeted us in a polite and friendly manner. Alas, after the initial good impressions there came disappointment.
Reception staff gave no eye contact and raced through breakfast times for the two nights my partner and I were staying. Our room was very small, very little space, with drape/blind part hanging from the window. There was a dark short hair in the bed, a tear at the side of the duvet cover that revealed a shabby duvet with long hairs attached.
We rang reception who said, they would get back to us with regard to changing our room. 3 hours later nobody called us. As we had to get ready for our meal and theatre we got ready to go out. We went to reception, again, on the way out and was informed, if we packed our things back into our bags they would move us, but as we were going out and time was short we had to decline. We decided just to ignore these issues and try to enjoy our time in London. English breakfast was very greasy and all plates were cold. Except for the concierge I found staff very unfriendly. We will not go back to this hotel or recommend it. We visit London at leased four times a year and will re visit other more caring hotels.

5 Thank Mag2707

Thank you for your review.

I was disappointed to read your comments, and I apologize for the unacceptable standards and service levels you experienced on this occasion. Each room is inspected by our team of Housekeepers prior to guest’s arrival and it is highly unlikely that the points raised in your review would have been overlooked. Nevertheless, I can assure you that attention to detail is a top priority and measures have been taken from our end to ensure each room is maintained to the highest standard possible.

I apologise for the miscommunication regarding the room move. It is unfortunate that you decided not to move due to time constraints and the opportunity to readdress the unfavourable impression created went amiss.

I have also noted your comments regarding breakfast and assure this shall be looked into.

On a positive note I am pleased that the hotel location suited you perfectly and the concierge impressed you. I want you to know that we truly do value you as our guest, and I would be pleased to welcome you back , the next time you are in London.

UK
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We have stayed at this hotel twice, once in a standard room and once in a suite. The location is excellent; easy to walk to many of London's attractions and with a tube station around the corner. The rooms we have stayed in were modern and the service from the staff was excellent.

I have stayed in many hotels in London and for the money and because of location, I don't think this can be beaten.

Room Tip: Be careful about having a room above the function room; we stayed when there was a large function on...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Russell. We very much appreciate your kind words and positive feedback and are pleased to learn that our well situated location and elegant rooms met your expectations fully.

We also very much appreciate your business, and look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Pembrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Great location and the building is very impressive especially the entrance with it's stunning staircase. Asked to change rooms as the first one we were allocated was tiny, 2nd one was larger but decor was a tad shabby with cracked plaster and peeling paintwork. Considering it is situated where it is the noise did not disturb and we had a great sleep. The breakfast was satisfactory and the dinner was excellent but a little pricey. Reception staff are polite but didn't seem interested in going "above and beyond" their calling to impress, phones were answered while guests were waiting to be dealt with at reception with no apology when completing the call and speaking to the waiting customer. Wii fi is charged and is quite expensive which was surprising given that so many hotel "chains" now provide this for free! I have rated the pool and childrens activities as excellent even though we did not use either or even know if this is available but it would be unfair to post a negative. I would definitely choose to stay here again and would be happy to recommend it to friends and family but would probably choose to eat elsewhere given the cost of meals.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Bart L, Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel Russell.

Due to the shape and size of the building we have a variety of rooms, each with its own unique style. Each room has been decorated to enhance the charm of the room. I am sorry to learn of the concerns you encountered with your room and will certainly highlight this to our team as we pride ourselves on our high standards.

I am glad that you enjoyed breakfast as this is freshly prepared by our team of Executive Chefs on a daily basis. Each dish is prepared on request and I am delighted that you found this excellent. Please be assured that our prices are in line with leading restaurants within the area.

I am disappointed to learn that a member of our team did not apologise for keeping your waiting whilst assisting another guest on the phone. We strive to create and maintain high standards and will ensure that this does not occur again in the future.

As per most establishments in the area wifi is chargeable. We prefer to give our guests this option rather than include this in the room rate. We also ensure that our wifi is fast and accessible throughout the Hotel for your convenience.

We appreciate your recommendation to your friends and family and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell in the not too distant future.

UK
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Booked one night in a suite via the hotel's website and bagged a great deal!

Check in was quick, simple, efficient and we were able to check in before the scheduled time. To make this an even more positive experience, we were given the choice of two suites. In view of the previous reviews referring to the traffic noise we opted for the 7th floor suite and enjoyed the view right across london rather than a park view. Traffic is audible but this is a city after all!!

The accommodation was spacious, spotlessly clean and the room felt fresh. Yes the Windows are old but
this is what gives this hotel it's stunning and impressive exterior.

The public areas were similarly impressive and there is a pleasant tranquillity about the place.

We chose the 'room only' option as I am not a breakfast lover so it is such a waste of money paying for a bowl of cereal and cup of coffee! The tea and coffee making facilities in the room were quite sufficient. There are numerous eateries in the locality should you prefer an inexpensive breakfast to the £18 or so the hotel charge (though I seem to recall its approx £12 if booked directly with the hotel when booking your room).

All in all it was a great stay and I am happy to recommend without hesitation, which is a relief as having read some reviews I was rather nervous before arrival!!!

Room Tip: Higher is quieter and we had a great view of the London Eye.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Julie_Hammond_13, Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 15 January 2014

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted to learn that you had a fantastic stay at Hotel Russell and were impressed by the services and standards offered.

Our team endeavours to meet all the guest preferences and I am pleased that the room chosen met your expectations and you had a wonderful stay. I agree, the building architecture is remarkable and enables our guests to marvel at the period features whilst at the same time enjoying the modern facilities and comfort that Hotel Russell has to offer.

I do hope that you will experience the sumptuous breakfast selection, freshly prepared by our chefs on your next visit to London. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Kind regards,