“Great location and stunning building but not perfect”

The Principal London
Ranked #434 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Glasgow
“Great location and stunning building but not perfect”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

The hotel is really well located for theatre district, British Museum and lots to do in walking distance. The tube station is just round the corner. The hotel is enormous and the public areas are incredible. Staff are warm and welcoming so any stay is comfortable. The negative is that the building is a shadow of its glorious past and rooms and amenities are compromised as a result. The rooms as portrayed on the website are as luxurious but in reality they can be a bit more spartan than one might be expecting. That being said it is a great location and good value too.

Room Tip: An external view beats the light well.
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your location as we are a stone’s throw away from many of London’s major attractions and transport links.

Our team endeavour to make each guest feel as welcome and comfortable as possible. We also pride ourselves on our high standards and ensure that our Hotel is exceptionally clean.

I am sorry to learn that you feel that your room was not as luxurious as you had envisioned. We have a variety of rooms available, each with has been individually decorated to enhance the charm and style of the room.

Each room has amenities which we believe will ensure our guests have a comfortable and relaxing stay. I only wish you had informed us of any requests that you may have had as we would have done our utmost to accommodate you.

I am delighted that you found our Hotel to be of good value and in an ideal location. I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
herts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

this is a lovely hotel ,the best looking one in the area .plenty of things to do within walking distance .loads of pubs ( which we found ) .rooms very nice-well our one was ,the breakfast would have been great for someone without a hangover , but i somehow had one .the only problem we found was that the whole place was so hot ,even with the window in the room open.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are ideally located as we are within walking distance of many of London’s major attractions and transport links. I am pleased that you found this beneficial during your stay.

Breakfast is extremely popular and our team of Chefs prepare this freshly each morning for our guests.

Each room is equipped with an air conditioner to allow guest to set this to their own optimum temperature. The coolest temperature is 19 degrees and I am sorry that this was too warm for you. I only wish you had informed us as we would have done our utmost to assist you.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

We chose this hotel for its location and were very pleased with all aspects of our stay. It's really easy to get to by tube or bus, and a large chunk of the capital is within easy walking distance. We booked a standard room which was perfectly good for us, and quiet enough (even given its location) to ensure a decent night's sleep. Breakfast was really good, with plenty of choice and impressive quality. Will certainly consider booking there again; at under £90 a night it was very good value for central London.

Dear Guest

We do appreciate your review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us.

We are extremely well located as we are within walking distance of many of London’s major attractions as well as transport links. I am pleased that you found our location ideal during your stay with is.

I am glad that you had a good night’s sleep and enjoyable breakfast as we endeavour to ensure that each guests is as comfortable and relaxed as possible during their visit.
We do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell in the not too distant future.

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights in Feb and it was fine - we had booked well in advance thru their website so we got a discount on the booking, free breakfast and free wifi (hint - look on their site before you book as you may get a better deal). The room itself was fine, spacious & had decent amenities. The negative was the wifi - the signal in our room was super spotty and we had to sign in each day. All that being said - super central, pretty close to many diff tube stops and the British Museum.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you had booked via our website and received a great promotional offer as we endeavour to provide a competitive rate for our guests.

I am glad that you enjoyed both the spaciousness of your room and the amenities as we endeavour to ensure each of our guests is as comfortable and relaxed as possible during their stay with us.

I am sorry to read that you encountered some difficulty with the wifi in your room. Each area of the hotel has a wifi point which is regular checked to ensure a strong signal and I will certainly take your comments on board. Wifi is refreshed each day and hence your username and password would need to used to login on a daily basis.

I am happy that you enjoyed both our location and rooms at Hotel Russell. We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back upon your next visit to London.

Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I booked the hotel as any London hotels at a reasonable rate where at a premium due to the Six Nations being on. I was very impressed with the location as Russell Square is very peaceful and very well located for Soho/Bloomsbury.

The hotel communal areas are very impressible as is the entire building. The bar area is very comfortable, so this would be ideal if a group was staying.

We had breakfast included in the rate and I must say it was very good indeed in a very pleasant setting.

Overall I good quality hotel at a very reasonable price or central London and a real pleasure to stay in such a historical building.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We pride ourselves on our high standards and endeavour to ensure each guest has a memorable stay with us.

We understand that guests want to relax whilst staying with us and hence have an impressive lobby area and comfortable Tempus Bar and Lounge. I am glad that you enjoyed this.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Check in was efficient and staff pleasant. I managed to check in an hour earlier than the stated check in which was a bonus. Location is excellent, tube station 3 mins walk away on Piccadilly line and british museum a 5 min walk. At £130 room only for a single it's not cheap but then again, it's central London!

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you had a lovely stay with us.

We understand that guests may arrive earlier than anticipated and our team do their utmost to ensure that your room is ready as soon as possible for you.

We are ideally located as we are a stone’s throw from many of London’s major attractions and transport links and I am glad that you found our location so beneficial.

Please be assured that our rates are extremely competitive and we endeavour to ensure that each room is extremely comfortable and relaxing for our guests.

We do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Kyoto, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I agree with many of the reviews on this site, the staff and location were excellent but the rooms were very average. My room was really noisy, both from traffic outside and from the corridor. It was really due to the fact that the room was old. The bed was fairly comfortable, but not as the same standard as you might get from the westin. Unfortunately the room didn’t have a fridge which I always find helpful. However the rooms were a very good size. It’s a shame that the hotel doesn’t have any fitness facilities and couldn’t recommend a pool. I found a local one myself. The hotel is very conveniently located round the corner from Russell square tube station, tesco and pret.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

We appreciate your review on Tripadvisor. I am so pleased to read that you found the service provided by our team excellent as we strive to create a relaxing and comfortable atmosphere for all of our guests.

I am sorry that you found your room noisy due to the central London traffic and the corridor. Usually our guest are extremely quiet, however I am sorry for any disturbance caused and I will certainly bear your comments in mind.

We have a lovely mixture of both traditional and modern rooms for our guests and I am also sorry that your room was not your preference. I only wish you had informed us as we would have gladly shown you a section of modern rooms.

Our team can provide you with the location of the nearest fitness facilities and day passes can be purchased from our Reception. I am pleased that you were able to locate a pool within the area.

We are ideally located and I am glad that you found our location so beneficial during your stay with us.