“Beautiful hotel in a great location!”

The Principal London
Ranked #442 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel in a great location!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with family in August 2013. The hotel looks beautiful inside and outside and is only a short walk from the russell square tube station. Our room was at the front of the hotel and we had a lovely view of the BT tower and the park opposite. The rooms were very clean and very spacious with tables and chairs and room to put luggage. Now the breakfast was possibly the best hotel breakfast I have ever had! The breakfast hall was beautiful and there was a wide selection to choose from including porridge, fresh fruit, toast and cooked breakfast, it was all delicious! I would definitely recommend this hotel not only for it's central location and nearby shops including pret a manger and tescos, but it's lovely rooms and friendly staff and of course the breakfasts! I will definitely be returning on my next trip to London

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Emily B
Bart L, Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you had a wonderful stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We have a variety of different rooms each with its own charm and I am glad that you enjoyed your park facing room. Our team ensure that our rooms are cleaned to an extremely high standard and I glad that you enjoyed this as well as the spaciousness of the room.

Our Tempus restaurant is home to some of our exquisite statues and I am happy that you enjoyed this during your full English Breakfast. Our team of Chefs have ensured that a wide variety of dishes have been created to suit any palate.

We appreciate your recommendation especially due to our friendly team, lovely rooms and great breakfast.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (855)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This was our first stay, having noticed and admired the hotel's exterior over a number of previous visits to the capital. Certain mixed reviews on this site prior to our 2 - day city break with friends had led me to wonder whether the customer experience would match the facade of this visually stunning building. I needn't have worried. We were happy to wait in the exquisite lobby for the 2 or 3 minutes until a reception desk became available. While we waited, a member of staff came out to apologise for the delay. Trust me, I've been delayed a heck of a lot longer than that in more expensive, and far less friendly London hotels, the staff of which could learn a lot from the Russell. It was a nice touch and set the tone for our stay. The reception staff were smiling, friendly and helpful - again some of the better known chains should take note. The room, 559, was clean, tidy and perfectly adequate in terms of size. Ditto bathroom. Some reviews have complained about noise from the aircon fans outside but we honestly could barely hear anything. Breakfast was excellent and the restaurant itself a visual delight, in keeping with the character of the building. A bit of a queue around 9 am, but staff were friendly and efficient, meaning no more than 5 mins to be seated. Location is second to none for the West End and heart of London. I must have stayed in more than 20 similarly priced hotels - we paid £125 p/n with full breakfast - in the area over a lot of years and this is the best by a country mile - certainly the first I have enjoyed enough to feel compelled to review. In short, a lovely hotel, full of character, with friendly and helpful staff that are a credit to their employer.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GSXRTom
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us at Hotel Russell. We strive to create and maintain high standards for our guest and I am so pleased that you enjoyed the friendliness and efficiency of our team.

I am glad that you enjoyed our personal touch as we endeavour to make guest feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible.

Our Housekeeping team pride themselves on their high standards and ensure that each room is immaculately cleaned for your comfort.

Breakfast is freshly prepared by our team of Chefs each morning and they ensure a wide variety is available to suit any palate.

We are a stone’s throw from many of London’s major attractions including the West End and I am happy that you found our location so ideal.

We genuinely appreciate your time in placing a review and very kind comments regarding our friendly and helpful team.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next
visit to London.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Hotel Russell, Russell Square. A top notch hotel at a respectable price,fanatastic staff good food in central setting. 10 minutes walk from Euston station 2 minutes to underground.
The staff were very helpfull and you can leave your luggage to collect later on your last day.

Room Tip: Bathrooms a little small ask for bigger room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that Hotel Russell has been named one of your Top London Hotel’s.

We strive to create and maintain high standards and I am so pleased that you enjoyed the value, fantastic staff and good food.

We are a stone’s throw from many of London’s major attractions and I am happy that you found our location so ideal.

Our Concierge will happily store your luggage whilst you explore London and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell in the not too distant future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This Victorian Gem is full of character. We stayed in an Executive room which was very comfortable and well equipped. The Hotel's location is ideal for Covent Garden, theatre land and the iconic central London places and venues.
All the staff are delightful. If you want a very quiet room, ask for one that isn't facing Russell Square.
Be advised that breakfast can be very busy; but you have an extensive period to select from.

Room Tip: Go for the higher floor upgrade.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We are extremely proud of the rich heritage of our building and we have ensured that this has been well maintained over the years.

We appreciate your very kind comments regarding our team as they genuinely endeavour to create a relaxing and memorable experience for all of our guests.

Our rooms each have their own charm and style, I am also happy that you enjoyed the quietness of your room.

Breakfast is extremely popular with our guests, however we do ensure that our team is extremely efficient and our guests are served as soon as possible.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Province of Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had a very pleasent 2 night stay in february, reasonable prices and most importantly great location walking distance to a lot of areas . being just off jubilee line which is perfect for Heathrow
recommended

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We are ideally located as we are a stone’s throw from many of London’s major attractions and transport links including the Piccadilly line which leads directly to Heathrow airport. I am glad that you found our location so ideal during your stay.

We appreciate your recommendation and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I remember staying at this hotel and getting a really nice room the first time but for the price that i paid at this hotel it was a little disappointing.

I paid roughly 180 GBP for hotel for one night and from what i remember the last time i must of rented a suite because the room this time was really small and the worst part was the shower.

The shower was a bit awkward in that if you go to the into the shower you better have 10 towels on the floor to soak up the floor. The drain wasnt working properly and the showers levers were really hard to figure out. Of course once you get the hang of it will seem simple. There was an english sign to tell you how to turn the water on and control it. I opened the water and the knob came off. The air in the room was a bit dry. The room was heated with a really old school heater and i had to walk really far just to get to my room and It didnt come with wifi.

I will say that the hotel is well situated near the tube station literally around the block and from my experience from staying in london for work it is convienent to local attractions that is if you are a walker. I do enjoy walking alot and also taking transportation so if you walk in the morning and take the tube back you should be okay.

I only gave it 3 stars because of the first time i stayed here i recall the rooms being nice but as i said it might of been because i stayed in a room that was a suite which i believe was around 220 GBP a night. Would likely not stay in this hotel again unless they had a really cheap deal. In the states i have stayed in hotels much cheaper with better amenities such as gym, free wifi, free breakfast. I also think that they charged people for converters. It would of been nice to let people borrow them and return after check out return them.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay with us.

Please be assured that our rates are extremely competitive and we always ensure that our guests receive exceptional service during their visit.

Each room including the bathroom is inspected on a daily basis, however I do apologise that you had difficulty operating this. I am pleased that the instructions were helpful.

All of our rooms are air conditioned and we do provide portable heaters for guests who prefer a warmer temperature than the maximum setting of 28 degrees.

I only wish you had informed us that you would like to book a suite as our team would have done their utmost to upgrade you.

We have many different packages available to suit our guests and bookings made directly through our website includes complimentary wifi for the duration of your stay.

For health and safety reasons we prefer to give each guest a brand new, sealed converter which they can then keep for the duration of their trip. We have received many positive comments regarding this.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell in the not too distant future.

Frinton-On-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Spent Friday night 28/02/2014 as a delegate for a conference.
Very well managed. Had to wait for breakfast due to hotel being full.
Apart from that every thing you wanted was offered and available when needed.
A very pleasant surprise from the usual goffering that now passes as the norm for service.
Food very edible for mass catering. Very clean and a pleasure to visit.
Look forward to next occasion.

Room Tip: Do not accept rooms on the 8th floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am so pleased that you had a wonderful experience with us at Hotel Russell.

We are extremely well known for our high standards especially with regards to our Conferencing and Banqueting expertise. Our team ensure that a meticulous service is provided and our chefs freshly prepare each dish with flare and creativity.

Breakfast is extremely popular, however our team also ensure that they are as efficient as
possible and our guests are served in a timely manner.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Russell for your next event in the future.