“Grand Hotel on Piccadilly line one block from British Museum. We'll be back!”

The Principal London
Ranked #439 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Sandy Hook, CT
“Grand Hotel on Piccadilly line one block from British Museum. We'll be back!”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I chose the Hotel Russell because I love opulent old hotels, but there are three other reasons to recommend the Russell. A tube station for the Piccadilly line (has all the most famous attractions) is right around the corner, it is a block from the British Museum, and leafy Russell Square Park is across the street.

After reading through the many varied reviews on this site, and looking at the somewhat confusing hotel website, I decided to communicate directly with the hotel to make sure I would get a room I would like. We stayed in a second floor "Victorian" junior suite, room 136, The Queen Mary, with large windows looking out over pretty Russell Square park. I'm not sure why our room was a "suite" (it didn't have a separate living room) but it was nicely decorated and roomy, with high ceilings, king bed, desk, two comfortable overstuffed chairs facing a marble fireplace and a large flat screen TV. The bathroom was updated with a great tub/shower and marble tiled floor, although the glass surround allowed water to spray and leak onto the floor. (I didn't complain because it wasn't that big a deal to us). There are 2 decorating schemes for the rooms: Modern vs "Victorian". The second floor has Victorian suites like ours. It was a great room, and we looked forward to coming back to it at the end of each day.

Because I booked directly with the hotel we had free internet, which worked without problems. We appreciated the complimentary breakfast buffet. From the reviews, there do appear to be some rooms that are shabbier than others, but we had no complaints about ours. We paid 1300 pounds for 7 days. The staff was great, and bent over backward to meet our needs. Well worth it.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly and speak to the property manager. There do appear to be rooms to avoid. J...
1 Thank highrock53
Bart L, Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you had a lovely stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We are ideally located as we are a stone’s throw away from many of London’s major attractions and transport links. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our ideal location.

I am sorry that you found our website slightly confusing as we have endeavoured to make our site as user friendly as possible. Please be assured that your comments have been taken on board.

The Queen Mary Suite has been named after the Queen Mary statue which is situated just outside your room. It is an extremely spacious room which has captured the style and grandeur of our Hotel.

We do also have a modern selection of rooms available for our guests should they wish to experience this style of room.

All of our direct bookings include complimentary wifi and I am glad that this was beneficial to you during your stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your full English breakfast buffet and the exceptional standards provided with our team as we endeavour to create a memorable relaxing stay for each of our guests.

We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (855)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I am the type of traveller who normally books into a Premier Inn or a Travel Lodge, so maybe my review is a little biased!

I stayed in this hotel at a discount after finding a knockdown price on the internet (same price or even less than a Premier Inn).

I was completely bowled over. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous - a massive, imposing building with a marble-clad lobby, chandeliers, sweeping staircase, everything. The staff are courteous and polite, and although I didn't use anything beyond the room, there was a lot of extra stuff (currency exchange, concierge, wake up calls etc).

Corridors are wide and spacious and tastefully traditionally decorated, as was the room I stayed in. Of course, because I got it cheap the view wasn't anything special (internal courtyard!) but the room itself was really lovely - mahogany finished, everything so pristine and well done. The bathroom was immaculate right down the last detail.

The location of the hotel is brilliant. Russell Square is literally a 2 min walk from the British Museum, the square itself is very pleasant with a large, square public garden in the middle and Georgian architecture all around and an Underground station just round the corner (even the exterior for this was architecturally pleasing!) on the Piccadilly line just 2 or 3 stops away from Piccadilly Circus.
The neighbourhood it's in is very plush and is a pleasure to walk through. I walked back from a evening at the theatre in Covent Garden and entering the neighbourhood it felt like I was walking the streets of Sherlock Holmes's London or some other period novel. The area is so tranquil and clean and with some really lovely architecture.

I fear at normal prices I wouldn't normally be able to stay there, but if there are discounts available I wouldn't hesitate to stay there in the future. It was an absolute pleasure.

1 Thank Jimmytraveller2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for review. We are absolutely delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We pride ourselves on our high standards and ensure that each of our guests has a relaxing and comfortable stay.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your visit and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell in the not too distant future.

Rugeley, England
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Both check in & check out was efficient and friendly.
Our rooms were very clean and comfortable. Facilities included TV, Coffee & Tea making facilities, ironing board & iron and hair dryer. Bathroom not large but the shower cubicle was a double and the shower was powerful. No noise was heard from inside the hotel only from the road outside.
We went to breakfast at 7.30am both days and there were no queues. Good choice of food and the service was good.
Food in the Tempus Bar was very good but expensive for the size of portions. Drinks also expensive we paid £30 for 2 double brandies.
Hotel location is good as there were lots of restaurants nearby. The tube station is just around the corner so it was easy to get to all the sights of London. There was also a Tesco express opposite the tube station which was handy.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us at Hotel Russell.

Our team endeavour to create a memorable experience for all of our guests and ensure that you have a relaxing visit with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your room, especially the powerful shower and quietness of your room as we do want our guests to be comfortable throughout their stay.

Breakfast is freshly prepared by our team of Chefs who create a variety of dishes to suit any palate, I am pleased that you enjoyed this also.

All of our Tempus Bar dishes are also freshly made to order and please be assured that beverage prices are in line with other leading establishments. I am glad that you enjoyed your food.

We are ideally located and I am so pleased that you found this beneficial during your stay with us. I do hoe that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Derbyshire
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Originally, booked for 2 nights, 12th and 13th April 2014 for the London marathon, change of plans required an extra night for the Friday for which I received a discount. Hotel reception was very efficient, single room was on the sixth floor and had been refurbished and more than adequate. Hotel seemed to be busy but it was marathon week end and there was a wait of about 10 minutes for breakfast on Saturday morning which I believe in the circumstances is acceptable.
Sunday morning the restaurant opened at 6.15am for runners, and they probably served the best porridge I've ever had in a hotel, I think in general there could be a little more variety in fresh food-fruit, cheeses, bread etc. but on the whole the level of food on offer was good. The hotel is situated opposite Russell Gardens which is a nice place to relax, it's about 2 minutes walk from the underground, approx. 15 minutes walk from Euston/Kings Cross etc. and centrally located for many of the sites in London, there's also a wide range of eateries nearby and a Tesco round the corner, yes I would definitely stay there again. Btw, there's an excellent Italian restaurant about 300 metres away-the Verdi, turn left out of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room, the higher the better (7 floors).
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank G. M
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that you had a lovely stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We receive many compliments regarding our porridge and I have to agree it is the best porridge I have ever tasted. I am also pleased that you had the opportunity to experience this. We opened earlier than normal to ensure that all of our marathon runners were energised and ready for the race.

We have a wide variety of dishes available for our guests each morning, however we will certainly take your comments on board.

I am glad that you enjoyed your ideal location as we are a stone’s throw from many of London’s major attractions and transport links.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

It is my second time at this hotel in the last 4 years and I can confirm that this hotel keeps all qualities I found 4 years ago. Professional staff, nice rooms, very well located with a fair daily rate.
I will return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are so delighted that you had lovely stay with us at Hotel Russell yet again.

We genuinely pride ourselves on our high standards and ensure that all of our guests have a memorable, relaxing stay with us.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell for your third in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Thankfully just a one night stay because our 7th floor 'executive' room sprang a leak in the heavy weather and the hotel were prompt and courteous in kind offering to move us but either a room with bed too small for my 6'5" partner or one that backed onto an industrial vent. I reluctantly went for the latter and was offered a complimentary breakfast but I just want to leave as I can't even get a nap before going out later tonight. Concierge was patronising telling us these issues are to be expected with grand London hotels. Looking around it's more accurate to say they're to be expected when backlog maintenance isn't addressed. Really unhappy and this is a group I've previously given a lot of business to in organising work events.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank charlieksays
Bart L, Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read that you were unhappy with your stay with us.

Please be assured that we strive to create and maintain high standards at Hotel Russell.
I can personally assure you that our Maintenance team ensure that all maintenance concerns are addressed as soon as possible.

I do apologise for the disappointment experienced with your new room nevertheless, please be assured that your comments have been taken on board.

Our Concierge team are well known for their friendliness and helpfulness. I am sorry that you felt that the information provided was patronising and I can genuinely assure you that his intention was to provide you with assistance.

I understand that you have now made us aware of your concerns upon your departure. I do hope that you accept our offer provided to you in the goodwill spirit that it is intended.

Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed here one night with friends, found the deal whilst booking theatre ticket package.
A marvelous old style building, with similar decor in the grand reception, staircase and Tempus bar.
Room rather basic, and an old fashioned bathroom, but an incredibly comfortable bed and pretty quiet considering it is on Russell Square.
The tube is literally around the corner, and it was an easy 10 minute walk home from the West End, and very safe area too. A nightcap in the Tempus bar with its opulent decor and leather settees was also a bonus.
A bit busy for breakfast, queuing to get in, and a nice spread of continental and cooked (but perplexed by the tiny plates!).
I would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for you review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you had a lovely stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We are extremely proud of our rich heritage and I am so pleased that your enjoyed our marvelous establishment.

We have a variety of rooms for our guests, and each room has been individually decorated to enhance the charm of the room. I am glad that you enjoyed the incredibly comfortable bed and quietness of your room. We endeavour to create a memorable and relaxing stay for each of our guests.

We are ideally located as we are within walking distance to many of London’s major attractions and transport links. It is a very well known and safe area and I am also pleased that you found our location so convenient.

Our Tempus Bar has captured the richness and grandeur of our Hotel and I am happy that you had the opportunity to experience this.

Our breakfast is extremely popular as our team of Chefs create a variety of fresh dishes each morning to tantalise your palate. The large plates are used for usually used for the hot items, whilst the smaller plates are for normally used for breads, pastries and fruits. We also have bowls if preferred.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you to Hotel Russell in the not too distant future.