“Very good”

Ranked #447 of 1,069 Hotels in London
England
“Very good”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

After booking I did read a few negative reviews on TP.But I'd already paid(special offer).

But on arriving our worries vanished immediately.We were booked in by a pleasant young man,and it only took 3 minutes and we were off to our room(7th floor-701)what a really nice room(suite)good size,large bathroom.no bath but large walk in shower(shelves please for toileteries?)We overlooked the central area/courtyard,windows open but with secondary glazing.

Noise of air con/ventilation units could be obtrusive,but glazing kept out 80% of the noise.

Tea and coffee making bits and bobs,room safe,plenty of towels,large screen tv.Comfortable bed.We were just surprised what value we had stumbled across,almost to good to be true.

Never dined in apart from breakfast which was also included in offer.And breakfast was really good everything you could wish for a good hearty English or quick continental breakfast.

Very well mannered staff,very helpful and polite nothing too much trouble a delight really.

Had drinks every night in the bar,again staff very polite and anxious to serve.

Location of hotel is 10 minutes walk from Euston station.About 20/25 mins from Covent Garden and 30 minutes from the Thames(Embankment,H of P,Westminster Abbey)

Nice relaxing gardens and cafe just across the road from hotel.

From our visit and opinion we would glady recommend this hotel for your stay in london.

Room Tip: Book a suite as they are large and not overly expensive.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shroppiefly
Julie H, General Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Hosting a multitude of people from all over the world from different cultures, environments and all with unique requirements, we try our utmost to ensure that each and every guest enjoys their stay at Hotel Russell. I am so pleased that you had a fantastic stay with us and not only you will visit us again but also recommend us to family and friends. Thank you !

I am glad that you did found our team members helpful and breakfast selection delicious. I will be sure to also mention to our Housekeepers that you found your room facilities well appointed, clean and up to the high standards that we pride ourselves at Hotel Russell.

We have received so much glowing feedback regarding our beautiful building and it is a delight to learn that you were also impressed by the magnificent architecture.

Thank you once again for your kind words and we always look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Russell

Kind regards,

Regional General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (855)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We (wife and I) stayed here for two nights in June 2014. Although I knew we had booked a superior room, we were both pleasantly surprised at the large size of the room when we first walked in. Plenty of room to open all 3 of our suitcases, pull everything out and re-organise our stuff before flying home to Australia. Even with everything strewn about the place, there was still plenty of room to walk around. The bathroom was modern and clean, and the shower was just awesome.

The lobby and staircase were beautiful, and the outside of the hotel was just stunning. The tube being just around the corner was very handy since we only had to walk about 50m then could relax all the way to Heathrow. If you are a walker then you will comfortably reach anything from Russell Square, if not then the tube is right behind the hotel. There are also plenty of good pubs, cafes and restaurants close by.

The breakfast was good, though if it is not included in your room rate I would definitely recommend going somewhere else close by, as 20 quid per person is waaay too much for a breakfast! Also, one hour of free wifi at a time is a little stingy in this day and age, but it enables you to get any online banking etc done.They would be my only complaints - otherwise, we were very happy here and would stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending some valuable time reviewing us. It is pleasing to note that our location was ideal for you and you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Russell.

We have received so much glowing feedback regarding the rich decorative style and architecture of our building and I am sure you will agree this is a statement piece of Victorian grandeur which was on an epic scale for both its time and even to this day.

We are happy to read that our rooms are spacious, pleasant and welcoming . It is very refreshing to read that the core components of your stay were excellent!

Thank you for commending the team and the standards offered as we are indeed passionate about our service and quality at Hotel Russell.

Please be assured that our pricing is inline with other leading hotels in the area, however I am sorry if you felt it was expensive.

We are constantly seeking feedback from our guests, and therefore, the comments and feedback that you kindly shared in your review, are indeed appreciated and will be used to review for future improvements.

We always look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Russell.

Kind regards,

Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The fantastic stair gives a feeling of royality - it´s a honor to have breakfast in the beatiful restaurang. The breafast is very rich and fresh including the most typical english dishes as bacon, eggs, beans, sausages served with juice and high classic sorts of tea.
Don´t forget to enjoy the Afternoon tea in the magnific bar!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay . I will be sure to mention to our teams that you found our Hotel facilities well appointed, clean and up to the high standards that we pride ourselves at Hotel Russell.

It will be a highlight for me to share your comments with our Breakfast teams as they all work very hard to carefully prepare the dishes using the freshest of produce, to suite every palate.

I thank you again for your comments and I hope you will consider visiting us again in the near future.

Kind regards

South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

A beautiful, classy hotel, with marble and chandeliers aplenty. Our room was excellent, with a large, very comfortable bed. The staff were very attentive at all times? We only had breakfast, which was buffet style, but there was a wide choice and the food was good. Service from the staff was very efficient and pleasant.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MAUREEN J
Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending some valuable time reviewing us.

It is with great pleasure I learn that your stay was overall enjoyable. Thank you for your very kind comments as we are very proud of the rich heritage of our hotel and I am delighted that you enjoyed it.

I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again on your next trip to London.

Kind regards

Reviewed 8 July 2014

After the website making a mistake they would not change a wrongly booked date, and were very awkward. However I needed this hotel so I booked again and was very disappointed. Room was too dark and barely cleaned, I found pubic hair in my bed! I arrived at 2:30pm to check in and they said I wasn't allowed in my room until 4pm (despite the website saying 2pm) and was stuck waiting around that area. I was in a rush the next morning and the breakfast cost a lot for what it was, and was almost cold. The building is very beautiful but everything else was a complete let down.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
10 Thank Elliott D
Julie H, General Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry to learn of your disappointment.
As per the terms and conditions of your booking we regrettably could not change your dates on such short notice. If we had the availability we would have certainly done our utmost to assist you.

I am dismayed to read your comments and can personally assure that you that this is not the high standards which we pride ourselves in. I only wish you had informed us of your concerns at the time as we would have done our utmost to rectify this for you. Nevertheless please be assured that your comments have been taken on board.

Please do contact our Guest Relations Executive, Bebita Dhaya at bebita.dhaya@principal-hayley.com as we would like the opportunity to turn around your experience for you and provide you with the exceptional standards which we are so well known for at Hotel Russell.

Kindest regards

Regional General Manager

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Hotel Russell is located at a very convenient and safe location. Metro station is just a stone throw away. The building is very nice but the room is quite old and dark. But my husband and I had a very nice stay. Price is a little bit high but I think it is normal for a London hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kaiy15
Birmingham
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Iconic building and the location of a Hotel Russell is ideal if you want to walk easily to Covent Garden, Oxford Street and all central London locations, the staff were very friendly, breakfast was ok but I was disappointed with my room for a 4 star, the bathroom was great but the bedroom although has good standard of cleanliness it felt a little dated. I'd definitely stay again for work because of location, but manage expectations on the room decor.

• Stayed June 2014