“Wonderful hotel”

The Principal London
Ranked #448 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stay in London a lot on business found this hotel really good. Staff on reception ,concierge , bar staff all helpful and friendly. Room spacious and extremely clean. Would definitely recommend it .
Kathy

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Julie H, General Manager at The Principal London, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am absolutely delighted that you had wonderful stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We genuinely endeavour to create and maintain high standards for all of our guests. Please be assured that your very kind comments have been shared with our teams.

I appreciate your recommendation and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

There are newer reviews for The Principal London

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Hotel Russell last weekend and we had a wonderful stay. We had a delicious afternoon tea on the day of our arrival. The surroundings are sumptuous and I loved the history of the hotel and the decor. The location is central for many famous sites and attractions. The staff were very friendly and helpful especially at breakfast and on arrival. We will definitely stay again.
Thank you very much for a lovely visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alnmouthcottages

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your review. We are so delighted that you had wonderful stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We are extremely proud of rich heritage and have ensured that it has been well maintained over the years. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the friendliness and helpfulness of our team, especially from our breakfast team. Please be assured that your very kind comments will be shared with them.

It was our absolute please and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Russell in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

So... as I write this review, I'm actually in the hotel now staying on the 3rd floor in a single room. I have to say I'm bitterly disappointed. The taps were not clean, the bed is so uncomfortable I feel like I've slept on a slate bed and the windows are not double glazed so I can hear EVERYTHING even with headphones in. This is my first time to London on a training course and can safely say I would not be booking here again. For a 4* rated hotel I'd expect at least decent double glazing and some form of sound proofing. Worst stay anywhere by far. This is my second night and debating whether or not to make a complaint or just bite the bullet and leave and forget the place. The staff are friendly enough but when you go to a 4* you expect a good night sleep... non of which I've had. In all seriousness I have had better nights sleep at premier inns for a third of the cost of this place. Really disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014
Julie H, General Manager at The Principal London, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your stay with us.

I do apologise that you found your taps were not cleaned properly. Please be assured that your comments have been shared with our Housekeeping team as they genuinely pride themselves on their high standards.

All of our beds are of an extremely high quality and we usually receive many compliments on this. We can also provide a bed more suitable to your requirements if requested.
I am dismayed to learn that the central London traffic noise was a disturbance to you at this high level and I only wish you had informed us as we would have done our utmost to provide you with a room more to your liking.

I am pleased that you found our team friendly and should you wish to join us again at Hotel Russell in the future we will certainly ensure you receive a room more to your preference.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Booked in no problem, went to a concert and arrived at the hotel at gone midnight, no problem at all, had a lovely room, nothing to complain about, we were looked after superbly by Richard Shaw and Francis at breakfast the next morning, they could not have been more helpful, it made my stay! I will go back as this type of service lacks in other hotels! Keep up the good work!!

Room Tip: Only saw one so cannot comment !
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are absolutely delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We genuinely want all of our guests to have a relaxing and comfortable stay with us. I am so pleased that our team, especially Richard and Francis were so helpful. Please be assured that your very kind comments will be shared with our team and I am sure that this will make their day.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Regional Manager

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I'm giving 5 stars as I'm really looking forward to staying here next week.
I have just booked this hotel with lastminute.com - 3 nights standard twin room £325.03. Breakfast was not offered as an option. On checking the Hotel Russell website I found out if I'd booked directly with them breakfast would be included for almost the same price - £325.60. So by booking with lastminute.com we lost out on the breakfast and their price match doesn't cover matching other amenities offered by competitors.
Word of advice - check before you book as the Hotel Russell direct could the most competitive way to book.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank 767Louise

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that you had a wonderful stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We ensure that our rates are extremely competitive and will always provide the best available rate when our guests book directly with us. I am so pleased that we were able to provide you with an excellent price including complimentary breakfast. We genuinely endeavour to look after our guests.

We do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

When we arrived, the clerk could not find our reservation for 10 minutes.
The room we got was very small, faced an interior courtyard, filled with machines & equipment.
We had numerous problems connecting to wifi in the room.
When we checked out, a breakfast charge was on our bill, when it should have been included. After complaining, the charge was removed.
All of these problems for a room that cost approximately $450 a night!
Never again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank John J
Julie H, General Manager at The Principal London, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay encountered in checking you in. I am pleased, however that our team were able to locate your booking as this may have possibly been made under a different name.

We have a variety of different rooms to suit our guest requirements. Each room has been individually decorated to enhance the style of the room. I am sorry that your room was not to your liking and I only wish you had informed us we would have gladly provided you with a room more to your taste.

I am dismayed that you had some difficulty in connecting to our wifi as this is usually very swift, however I have taken your comments on board.

I do also apologise that the breakfast was incorrectly posted onto your account and do understand the poor impression created. Please be assured that your comments have been shared with our team to ensure that this does not occur again.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Since this location is advertised as a "luxury hotel" we expected better. First, the good news: the location is fantastic, the outside of the building is lovely as is the lobby, and the staff at the door and front desk are very attentive. The bad news: our room was dim and had no view at all. The paint was dingy and peeling in a several places. There were stains on the ceiling and two deep cuts in the carpet as you entered the door that were very dirty: obviously they had been there for some time. In fact, the carpet really needed cleaning. While we had a fairly large room (for which we paid a premium) the overall quality of the accommodations was disappointing for the price. One final observation: during our stay, the hotel hosted a seemingly endless series of professional seminars on the main floor and in the basement, where the hotel provides a business center (two desktop computers and a printer). There was constant traffic through the lobby, surrounding the business center, in the hotel bar, on the stairs and the two tiny lifts involving this side business that has nothing to do with the hotel's guests but probably brings in extra income. Again, it was somewhat annoying and did not support the hotel's "luxury" image.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank justatraveler926

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay with us.

We are extremely proud of the grandeur of our hotel and have ensured that this has been well maintained over the years. I am pleased that you enjoyed the rich heritage of our building.
Due to the shape and size of the building we have a variety of different rooms, each with its own individual charm and style. Each room has been decorated to capture the features of the room.

I do apologise for the disappointment you experienced with your room and please be assured that your comments will be discussed in detail as we genuinely pride ourselves on our high standards. Please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Relations Executive, Bebita Dhaya at bebita.dhaya@principal-hayley.com as she will be happy to assist you with your concerns.
We are also a well established Conferencing Venue and we ensure that all of our guests throughout our Hotel are provided with an exceptional service by our teams.

I am pleased that you were impressed with the very attentive service provided by our team and do hope that we may have the opportunity to turn around your experience for you at Hotel
Russell in the future.