“Needs Updating”

Ranked #433 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Needs Updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Beautiful hotel, friendly staff, fantastic marble staircase. The room was definitely smaller than expected, but looked clean. Very long walk from lift to room. Unfortunately the bed was awful - old, creaky, uncomfortable. Really needs an update. Not sure I'd bother staying here again as Bloomsbury has lots of hotels with better rooms than this at similar prices.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Firstly, if you seek a hotel provides continuous WIFI, this is not your choice. You can only use internet for 1 hr in every 4 hrs. Not to mention the terrible bandwidth of 80 kbps. I think this ruined my stay.
The location is really good. Right by Russell Square tube station, this hotel locates in the middle of stores and restaurants. You only need to spend 5 mins' walking from here to the British Museum. The park of Russell Square is right outside your front door. You can enjoy an after-dinner walk with friends or family.
All in all, great location, terrible wifi!

Room Tip: All rooms here are really nice! Book in advance if you don't want to pay 400 pounds for a room p...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Alfred W
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Hotel Russell from the 19th to the 21st of July and on arrival we were hit with the "OMG" factor. This very old hotel is beautiful. From the ornate grand staircase to the bar/ loung area this place exudes old time elegance. The room was a comfortable size not too snall, tea and coffee facilities supplied were a huge bonus after a long day being a tourist. The room also included iron, iron board 40inch lcd and safe and a Bath...Bonus!! (After travelling from Paris)

The water pressure for showering was excellent with a modern-day system.

All in all we had a brilliant short stay in London made all the nicer by coming "home" to this hotel and its friendly staff each day.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jashanco
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Myself and my boyfriend went to this hotel 20/07/14 to the 21/07/14. After upgrading our room to a suite we then went up to our room, which completely took our breath away. We stayed in the queen Elizabeth suite and it was stunning. the queen size four poster bed was so so comfortable it was easily the best hotel i have ever stayed in in London by far! All of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel was very clean and the location was brilliant, just a quick walk across russell square and you're practically on Oxford street and literally round the corner from Euston station. We didn't eat at the hotel due to us having reservations at other restaurants however if we were to stay here again we definitely would have a meal, the restaurant looked and smelt lovely. This trip to London was a present from my boyfriend for my Birthday, and after we had checked into our room and gone up to drop off our bags we had a knock on the door off room service with a small selection of cakes and 'happy birthday' written on the plate in a sauce, which was absolutely lovely and very kind of the staff. We will definitely be staying here again, and I am also sending my parents for a night here in August, thank you Hotel Russell.

Room Tip: The suites are so worth the price, they all face the outside of the hotel rather than the inside giv...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leanne B
Stratford-Upon-Avon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed jn this hotel for the weekend to catch up with friends in London and to go to the theatre. It's conveniently located near a beautiful park and although it doesn't provide parking, , there's a NCP carpark next door which is quite reasonable if you're staying long.
The room I had was a double room which was an upgrade with a good discount. It had the view of the park . The room was spacious, very clean and the bathroom was spotless. It was great to have air conditioning since the temperature was 26 C.
Travelling around is easy with the underground just around the corner of the hotel. Check in and check out was efficient , thorough, and friendly.
I will definitely go back to this hotel. The architecture of th the building is fabulous. I only
regret that I missed out on the bronze dragon, called Lucky George on the second floor . It's the twin of the same dragon that sunk with the Titanic in the Atlantic .Maybe I'll be seeing it next time.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Julie H, General Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you had a lovely stay with us at Hotel Russell.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our ideal location and we have also created a discounted rate for our guests with the car park.
We genuinely endeavour to meet all of our guest requirements and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the rich heritage of our building.

I do hope upon your next visit to Hotel Russell you may have the opportunity to meet George our lucky dragon he does certainly provide us with luck.

Belmullet Co Mayo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed in the Hotel Russell and had a really great stay. The reception staff were friendly, professional and efficient. The room itself was quite large. It would be unkind to say that the room was tired because the hotel has a certain old world charm that means a slightly worn carpet and peeling wallpaper only add to the experience. The room was clean and well appointed. The public areas are very elegant and feel welcoming and luxurious. I did not dine here so I cannot comment on that. WiFi is available but at a cost. The location is excellent. Russel Square tube is just around the corner and for the fitter guest many attraction can be reached on foot with a little walking. Plenty of buses around too. Stay here sometime. I don't think you will regret it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Pat Caff
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you had a great stay with us. We genuinely want all of our guest to have a memorable and relaxing visit.
I am glad that you enjoyed our ideal location as we are a stone’s throw from many of London’s major attractions and transport links.

We are currently planning our refurbishment programme and will certainly take your comments on board.

We appreciate your recommendation and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have spent my last business trip in London in this hotel and I cannot complain. It is situated in a great area, the staff is very professional and nice. The room was fine, clean (not so quite, there was a kind of noise all the time but I was able to sleep, so I did not care in the end) and big enough for a business traveler who use the room just for sleeping. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cindy T
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you had a enjoyable stay with us at Hotel Russell.
We are ideally located as we are within walking distance of many great attractions and transport links.
I am sorry for the noise you encountered, however pleased that this was not a disturbance to you.