“Great location and decent service”

The Principal London
Ranked #448 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Hotel Russell is in a great location for exploring London. Close to a few tube stations but even better a short walk from many destinations. Close to shops and restaurants aplenty.
Was here for a conference and they handled a large group of people very well. Room was large, breakfast was very well done. My only complaint was a relatively slow internet speed but I think that was something unique to my time there. A nice little pub located behind the hotel as well didn't hurt.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank thatcraigguy
There are newer reviews for The Principal London

Reviewed 19 August 2014

A weekend in a seventh-floor room was a little less grand than anticipated. The room was small but had all the essential amenities (are biscuits now a luxury!?) and a good view, but felt poky compared to my family's third floor room. Coombed ceilings and a slight run-down feel didn't help the ambience! Being close to the service area meant banging of doors and trolleys, too, which - when added to the uncollected room-service trays outside some other rooms - made it feel a bit like the staff quarters. Noise from evening receptions also made it's way to the 7th floor!
Staff were fine, although my newspaper order have still not arrived and generally, it was all a bit disappointing. The building is impressive, though, and this is an excellent place to explore London from.

Room Tip: Avoid floor seven!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank OldGlenbogle
Julie H, General Manager at The Principal London, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to learn of the disappointment experienced with certain aspects of your stay with us.
We have a variety of different rooms to suit our guest requirements and I am dismayed that you were disappointed with your room. I only wish you had informed us as we would have done our utmost to assist you.

We have a noise controller in place to ensure our in house guests are not disturbed and it is extremely unusual that this sound would reach the high floors.

Please be assured that your comments have been taken on board as we strive to create and maintain the high standards we are so well known for at Hotel Russell.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here for a weekend trip to London. Both the room and bathroom are tiny. Would not recommend to a claustrophobic person. The situation is OK, as it has a tube station nearby, it is close to the British Museum and not too far away from the Soho.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the size of your room.

We have a variety of different rooms available to suit our guest requirements and only wish you had informed us of your concerns as we would have done our utmost to assist you.
We are ideally located as we are a stone’s throw from many of London’s major attractions and transport links. I am pleased that this was beneficial to you during your stay.

I do hope that you may have the opportunity to experience one of our more spacious superior rooms upon your next stay with us at Hotel Russell.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I first saw this hotel on a self-guided tour of Bloomsbury. I was gob-smacked, to use a British expression. It is such a gorgeous, impressive structure, designed about 100 years ago by the man who did the interiors of the Titanic. I said to myself, "I wonder if I could stay there?", and to my astonishment, I could! It is not cheap, but neither is it beyond reason for a hotel in the heart of London. The ground floor lobbies and bars are exquisite, and give one the sense of travelling during the Belle Epoque. The room itself, on the fourth floor, was OK. Nothing spectacular, but also nothing terribly wrong. Adequate facilities, including TV and internet. But I'm still glad I stayed for the experience, and had a drink in the bar where the Bloomsbury group sometimes congregated. If that's the kind of stuff that turns you on, stay at the Russell!

Room Tip: We turned down a room on the "first floor" (one up from ground level. Learned later that t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marshall_Mangan

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed the rich architecture of our grand establishment. We have ensured that this has been well maintained over the years and I am so pleased that you had the opportunity to stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We have variety of different rooms ranging from modern to traditional and I do hope that you have the opportunity to experience a traditional room upon your next stay with us at Hotel Russell.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Hotell Russell will not disappoint. It is comfortable and close to everything. It is located close to the Russell Square stop on the tube, lots of places to dine near by, and major attractions within walking distance. Hotel Russell is listed as a four star hotel and fits the bill according to European standards. The rooms are slightly bigger than most European hotels, and that's a huge plus. The rooms are recently updated with modern amenities.

Customer service was average.

Initial interior appearance seemed dated compared to the rooms.

Room service is good but very costly.

The paid wi-fi is a turn off. Do NOT be fooled by the mention of free wi-fi. You can get 1 hour free per every four hours. Connectivity is good though.

Overall, recommended but the beds are a little rough.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank ReginiaCordell

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you had a comfortable stay with us at Hotel Russell.
We genuinely endeavour to create and maintain a comfortable and relaxing stay for all of our guests.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the spacious of our rooms as well as the amenities provided.
We have received many compliments regarding our complimentary one hour wifi which resets after 3 hours. Please note that all direct bookings receive complimentary wifi.
All of our beds are of an extremely high quality, however we will certainly take your comments on board.
We appreciate your recommendation and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell in the future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Have not written many reviews previously but felt that it was necessary in this case...

Have been to London on a number of occasions both for leisure and business and felt that this hotel was one of the best. The design of the hotel sets it apart from many of the others the staircase in the main lobby area being particularly impressive.

Stayed for a 3 night break. Staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. Is within walking distance to many tourist areas however russell square tube is literally next door and the next tube stop on the Piccadilly line from kings cross/st pancras.

Room was located on the first floor at the back of the hotel (It seems that many of the suites are located at the front of the hotel with views over Russell square so may be worth an upgrade if you would like that added extra). Room was a nice size for a hotel in central London and very well presented. Comes with iron, hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities. Bathroom generous size with essential complimentary toiletries.

Breakfast was excellent with a wide choice of both hot and cold food on offer. Staff in restaurant and bar were very helpful and nothing seemed too much trouble.

Also sampled the evening meal and Tempus bar both drinks and food on offer very nice and worth a visit. Would recommend the cocktails. Although I didn't personally sample the afternoon tea package it looked very nice.

Would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend a visit both for business or leisure purposes.

• Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank atayLancs
Reviewed 16 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Elsje B