“4 Night Stay During Olympics”

The Mandeville Hotel
Ranked #175 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel during the Olympics with my 19 year old son. Staying here was not the original plan, but we had to change plans at the last minute and they had availability. The rooms were very clean and the hotel is two blocks from the Bond Street tube station. However, compared to other hotels that I typically stay in, the rooms seemed a bit small. My 19 year old son did not like that the hotel did not have a fitness center. The bathroom was very clean and modern but rather small. They publish a "Late Night Menu" but acted surprised both nights that I ordered from it, initially telling me that the kitchen was closed, though I was able to finally place an order.

Room Tip: Consider asking for a larger room than the type that you normally stay in. For the best view, ask fo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CyberRabbit
There are newer reviews for The Mandeville Hotel

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Ultra Modern hotel that l use for business meetings and lunches as its so well situated in London. Unfortunately the last time l was there a mouse ran across the bar floor right infront of my very eyes, l mentioned this to a member of staff who said that they were having a problem at the time. Chances are l bet this could happen in any hotel restaurant if the truth is known but it did un-nerve me and put me off my meal. It wont stop me revisiting the Mandeville though,

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Mandeville H, Manager at The Mandeville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Dear Freddy,

We are sorry you experienced it... We have sorted the matter right away !

See you again soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 4 August 2012 via mobile

I have justed completed a 6 night stay at the Mandeville hotel in London, magnificent location. I found the rooms to be rather small, even for London, yet the location does compensate for this. A special mention does need to go out to the Bar Manager, who was magnificent, putting up with us during the Olympics.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Rod,

Glad you stayed with us during the London 2012 Olympics ! We will definitely share your comments with the Bar Team.

Follow us on twitter @MandevilleHotel and facebook.com/themandevillehotel

See you again very soon !

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 2 August 2012

The location is AMAZING!!! If you like boutique hotels that are in the mix of everything, this hotel is for you. Don't expect the Four Seasons, but it is a nice clean hotel. Also note a single means a twin bed in a room the size of double bed, extremely tiny and should not even be available to the public....The concierge's were the best and the bar next store servers the best kobe beef sliders. I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tshurst

Dear Tshurst,

Thank you for taking the time to review our lovely boutique Hotel, indeed we are not the Four Seasons Hotel but as you mentioned, the hotel is clean and the location is amazing.

Please note that the size of the standard rooms are standard to the size of other central london hotels...

We would love to welcome you again very soon! Plese contact info@mandeville.co.uk

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 31 July 2012

The Mandeville has everything going for it, including terrific decor, a top-of-the-line though small bathroom, and an outstanding location. The wallpaper in the elevator is to die for, and the rooms are really pretty. I want the drapes! And the pretty decorative pillow on the bed -- with that beautiful rose picture.

The Mandeville is on a par with other luxury boutique hotels in its price range, such as the Bloomsbury Hotel. The lobby is a bit smaller, though, but is well done and has a neat vintage toy car on display -- i like these quirky touches. These days, top interior design, luxurious fittings, and top-of-the-line toiletries are expected in these kinds of hotels, and service/cleanliness should be "transparent" meaning you don't think about it.

However, there were a few wrong notes that made me feel like they just don't know how to BE that luxury boutique hotel. First, there was no bellman -- we volunteered to drag our bags upstairs through a series of doors and corridors. Second, the floor of the elevator was worn out, the carpet in our room was somewhat grubby around the bathroom entry area, and the desk chair, in a chic red fabric, had a huge stain on the seat. Should have been cleaned or else slipcovered. Third, and this was really cheesy -- they provide a Nespresso machine for your morning coffee, with four pods of coffee. After you use those four, you have to PURCHASE individual pods for GBP 3.95 each. Seriously? I know that sounds like quibbling, but it's so cheap. Even a lowly Courtyard by Marriott will replace your coffee packets daily. And this is just my taste, but I find it cheap to have a pay-bar fridge with a paper seal on it. I'd just rather not see that standing next to the very pretty desk. I would love a fridge in the room, tho. But not a pay fridge.

The other sour notes are to do with the quality of service. The lobby called to tell us we'd left a shopping bag in the check-in area, and were sending it up. We waited 20 minutes, needing the umbrellas that were inside it, then went down to see about it; front desk said it had gone up, we went back upstairs, then in another 20 minutes went down and were directed to the concierge, who couldn't find it. We finally saw it squished into a window well and pointed it out. "Ow, I didnt know that was to go up!" was what the concierge said. Later, the concierge chastised us for asking for him the code for the wireless (free, which is nice) -- i was supposed to know I had to ask the front desk for that. They were helpful with a car reservation, though, but the way they handled it made me worry that the pickup would happen. Other hotels are "yes madam, just a moment madam," approach that tells you they've done it a million times and is very reassuring.

Just some odd sour notes that I have not experienced in the smoothly run Bloomsbury Hotel and the Marriott Grosvenor Square, hotels that are similar in terms of quality interiors, good locations, and price.

On the other hand, the doormen were perfectly kind and helpful, and the staff found us a room even though we checked in early (which is good, because I don't think they have a bellman's closet to store luggage).

All in all, I think I'd go back to one of the other hotels -- they just don't make those mistakes.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Paula S

Dear Paula,

We are sorry for the unsatisfactory service you have received. Could you please contact us directly info@mandeville.co.uk for us to investigate further ?

Thank you for taking the time to raise those subject with us.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 31 July 2012

The hotel was quiet and its located at the center of London shopping areas, lots of café and restaurant near by located at James street and Christopher place and a short distance walk to oxford shopping street. The disadvantage of this hotel such mainly reflect on the hall trip was the windows does not have and sealing, so all the outside noises coming into our room, the garbage car used to wake me up daily @ 6 am and it was very nasty feeling that I can’t go to sleep again. The room was very tiny and we can’t move and store our stuff properly. No tea or coffee machine in the room, which is un usual for a 4 starts hotel! I love London and am usually visiting that place 2-3 time a year, and in every visit am trying to discover a new hotel, but this time my experience was so bad and I will not do it again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Nuha1974

Dear Nuha,

We were sadden to read your review of The Mandeville Hotel. Please contact us directly info@mandeville.co.uk in order to discuss about your issues further.

Please accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectation.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 30 July 2012 via mobile

The Mandeville is excellently situated, 5 minutes walk from Bond Street station and right in the middle of a bohemian area known as Marylebone Village. It is a small hotel, with only one restaurant, and the Deluxe VIP room that I ended up in is nowhere near as large as that might sound. It is a pleasant place to stay, although there is no kettle in the room (they have installed a Nespresso machine instead, with a charge of £1.50 for each extra pod!). The bathroom is fairly splendid, with Etro toiletries but no toothbrushes.

A boutique hotel with potential, it just misses the mark.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank francescw

Dear Frances,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at The Mandeville Hotel. We are indeed a rather small boutique hotel with only 142 bedrooms !

As you might have noticed, the 3 capsules were complimentary, then any additional ones are £1.50 (less than an espresso outside...)

Kindest Regards,