“Good Hotel”

The Mandeville Hotel
Ranked #164 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Good Hotel our room was quite big since we had an upgrade. The Staff very nice and helpful. Free WIFI and Complimentary News Paper every morning. Continental Breakfast nothing special. The Manager Monica gave us two extra hours free for check out. Prices are on the upper side. Very central location. Room was very clean with an Nspresso machine

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quitter.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,048)

Reviewed 30 May 2014

It was my first stay at the Mandeville Hotel in London. I enjoyed the great central and at the same time quiet location. I also enjoyed the (single) room, although a bit small. Price of the room was expensive but so it is for most of the hotels in London. Wifi connection is terrible. One of the slowest internet connections i've seen in years. I imagine this hotel being chosen by many people who are in London for business (including myself). If this is the case, there is a lot of room for improvement. Also, changing the password every day is a bit annoying. Finally, the staff was not friendly at all. Upon my arrival the receptionist wouldn't bother to say hello. After telling her it was my first time at this hotel, she rushed to say (really first thing you say to somebody who is visiting for the first time?) that there is a fine of up to £250 for breaking the no-smoking ban (free suggestion: probably worth investing in a bit of PR/Marketing training for the staff) and that i had to secure the pre-paid booking with my credit card (in case i would break/steal something?). Again, if the target audience is business people, average service standards must definitely improve

1  Thank Pasquale M
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Good hotel with good team.
Rooms are a little small but still comfortable and with all the facilities including an espresso machine that was a great help in early morning wake up.
It is my 3rd or 4th times in this hotel and I will keep using it as far as my meetings will be a walk distance from it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Little touches - nice toiletries, umbrellas (definitely needed when we stayed!), robes, slippers, interior decorating, surprise cakes..............!

My partner and I stayed overnight on Monday for a quick trip to the city and to take in 'Miss Saigon' at the Prince Edward Theatre (awesome, by the way....). Our room was beautiful (Rm 423) - not sure what to do with two showers in the bathroom though......(yes, two)! We had a couple of problems with breakfast (which Reception were very apologetic about when we discussed it with them) but apart from that it was great. Perfect location, 2 minutes walk from Oxford Street, all staff from Reception, concierge, doorman were all friendly and helpful. It was my partner's birthday and we returned on Monday afternoon from a little shopping expedition to find a plate of little cakes with 'Happy Birthday!' piped in chocolate on them - how lovely! And they were delicious too - based on that, I'd say the Afternoon Tea at the Mandeville would probably be great (although we didn't actually HAVE afternoon tea, so I'm only speculating!) :-) Other reviews here have said it is expensive - yes, it is quite expensive (although I did get a deal on the Internet) but it is beautiful and well positioned for the centre. No, there wasn't tea in the room, only a coffee machine thing, but that wasn't an issue for us. And we used the Wi-Fi on our phones and iPad and didn't have a problem. I loved it!

Room Tip: Rm 423 overlooked Mandeville Place - quiet and well appointed deluxe room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Nice and clean, but very small rooms.
The service is good but a bit confused (like the cleaners remove all your coffee cups so then you can't make coffee for hours because some other guy is supposed to deliver the coffee cups, which he never does).
Internet is totally useless, slow as a modem in the 1980s. When telling the reception that I had tried to send a 10 MB e-mail all night without any luck, they replied: "Well sir, 10 MB is a VERY BIG mail!!!"

1  Thank lalalars
Reviewed 12 May 2014

It's a Victorian or Edwardian building in a quiet street ( for a capital city) although double glazed the traffic noise woke me early. Located behind Oxford Street and near Bond Street it's a good location for a shopping trip.
The bedroom (standard room) was delightful and not dominated by a TV. The wallpaper, carpets and furniture were in excellent condition. There was a Nespresso machine for coffee, but you were snookered if you wanted to make cup of tea.
I really wanted a hotel with breakfast and was loathed to pay £45 for breakfast for two so am unable to comment on the food, but the Gentleman's afternoon tea looked good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeff K
Reviewed 9 May 2014

A week ago I stayed at a hotel near the marble arch and this week I stayed at the Mandeville. Though the latter is smaller, I preferred this hotel to the other one. Staff are very friendly, they take a genuine interest in you & your comfort. Concierge services are great too. Best thing is that it is located right in the center of Marylebone high street & James street and in both directions there are loads of good restaurants, shopping, supermarket, etc. It is also 4 mins walk from the Bond St tube. Only drawback is that there is no tea making facility in the room. So tea drinkers like myself either have to order room service in the morning and drink tea at the bar at night or go out and buy some from the nearby cafes. I am not a morning person so I had to order room service tea for the 4 mornings I stayed here. Such a shame, but it is what it is. I find it bizzare that in a tea drinking country, a hotel does not provide tea facilities. Hmmm...anyway, recommend this hotel for those who want to be in the middle of the London action.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple