“Fine for a short stay. Beyond that, some "eek" things happening”
Review of Americana Hotel

Americana Hotel
Ranked #710 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Americana is a useful hotel in terms of location (near Baker St) and price. Beyond that, it's a bit of a mess.

Here are things it has going for it:
- Under a five-minute walk from the tube station
- Around the corner from Sherlock Holmes attractions, Regent's Park, some restaurants and shops (Tesco express, e.g.), and a rail line (Marylebone)
- Private rooms with ensuite bathrooms
- Breakfast included
- 24hr access to a coffee/tea/hot chocolate machine, and an ice machine
- Free passworded wifi with a strong signal.

Here are some issues:
- The hotel is run down. Before booking, I read on Trip Advisor about the carpet, for example. People said the carpet was dirty. "Who cares?" I thought, "I'm not in London to see pretty carpet." But the carpet's dirtiness DOES impact you directly (where I put my feet while getting into/out of bed was sticky), and also indirectly (it suggests general maintenance issues with the hotel).
- And maintenance was indeed an issue. A couple of days in, we got a call from the front desk stating that water from our shower was dripping into the bedroom below us. Nothing wild was happening in/around our shower... just a regular shower caused it to rain below. The person on the phone said that the owners are aware of the problem, but do nothing, so could we put some extra towels down? And so for the rest of our stay our bathroom had a carpet of towels while showering. At least that carpet was clean.
- Which brings me to cleanliness. The cleaning staff didn't actually clean. They made the bed and arranged/changed the towels... but nothing else. The bathroom clearly went uncleaned, the soap dispenser got dangerously low, etc.
- The breakfast was pretty boring and simple. I'd rather have been charged a lower daily rate at the hotel and bought a yogurt at the Tesco Express down the block. Most of the breakfast was carbs (bread, pastries, croissants, cereal, etc.).
- The people at the front desk were mostly unhelpful. One guy seemed great, and everyone else was very reluctant to help with anything that required actual work. Our safe needed to be reset (something that would have taken 30 seconds after looking up the reset code), but over the course of a week it was never reset despite our asking. We asked for a few more hangers since we were missing some, but over the course of a week we never got more despite our asking. Etc.
- The room had a No Smoking sign on it, but clearly smelled like smoke.

In sum, my feeling is that if you're staying just one or two nights, the hotel will likely be fine for you. Beyond that, the issues above start to wear on you. I'm not sure I'd have wanted to pay much more to be in another hotel (again, we booked this one for price and location), but I'd certainly consider it.

Room Tip: While there is an elevator, it's a pain and time-sink to use. So if stairs matter to you, ask f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Americana Hotel

Reviewed 25 June 2013

I've never stayed in a lower ground floor room. It was not had best experience. The decor was very drab, my sons bedroom was bigger than the room allocated.the shower room was adequate but very small.
I'm not very familiar with London prices but £125 per night for this room/b&b was not the best value I've had. The bed was very hard, I thought I was sleeping on the floor! The'lift' if you can call it that would not accommodate a walker or wheelchair. So not for those with mobility issues.
Not cooked breakfast,buffet style, it was ok.
So overall, nice that tea and coffee was available at any time, the night porter and receptionist were very helpful, but the hotel itself need a full re vamp. Sorry but I've had better value for my money, elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed for 2 nights 7-8th June, pleasant helpful friendly staff, lovely continental breakfast, hot drinks machine 24-7 (although broken Sat pm with no alternative ie a kettle so had to do without) Lovely clean bedding and towels, Hot water plentiful. The small rooms didn't bother us as we only used Hotel as a base. but I have to say I agree with other reviews, this hotel is in need of refurbishment. Its such a shame as it has so many good qualities, but the shabby dirty carpets and it being in need of decorating, plus mold in the show units do let it down. So come on Americana get decorating and have a dark color carpet laid - you will soon get top ratings

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I booked this room because of the location and the good reviews. We arrived late at night and this room was the only one that was free. We had not been told we would get a queen size bed but had expected a normal double bed. I travelled with a friend and we are no couple, so that was very embarrassing. The room seemed to have been prepared for one person only - one blanket, two pillows at least, only one large and one small towel. The nightclerk organized a second blanket when asked to, but was not very pleased to do so. The room was very cold and the heating did not work. The TV did not work either. Both were not repaired even the next day. The walls were dirty. Room, bed and shower were very tiny. The shower, however, was rather new and ok. WiFi worked most of the time. There was hardly any noise from the street but from other rooms. Breakfast was really sufficient, with free coffee and tea the whole day. The personnell was friendly.
I booked this hotel for a different time span first. My credit card was charged immediately. Even though I cancelled the very same day, I had to wait for almost two months to get the refund. And even for this, I had to intervene several times. This was rather poor.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Have stayed twice at this hotel now - both times purely for location, and for that, almost (ALMOST) worth the price! The staff are friendly and polite, no complaints there. The rooms are small, almost verging on tiny, quite clean though not overly comfortable. First time I went the room stank of cigarettes, but the staff quickly changed my room when I complained. Breakfast is not bad, with cereal, toast, ham etc but on the other hand there's a free coffee/hot chocolate machine which you can use 24/7. A charming detail is the old-style lift.

In short; the Americana is not a bad place to stay if you need to stay in central London, but don't expect anything special.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Fantastic four night stay at this hotel! We couldn't believe how great the location was, and direct buses to key attraction sites of London! It's a quiet but very central area. We booked through Travel Republic and managed to get it much cheaper than other sites.
The hotel was very clean and cosy. Our room boasted a (free) safety deposit box, hairdryer, shampoo, and shower gel. Staff VERY friendly, after checking out, they said we were welcome to leave our bags without charge, come back to freshen up, and help ourselves to free coffee/tea (the machine is free for guests to use 24/7). There's a lift (a lovely old-fashioned one!) and free Wifi.
Overall a great stay, just what we were looking for. Will be back and will recommend it to all our friends!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank VeraM54
Reviewed 23 March 2013

A very tired hotel with tiny rooms. They only serve a cold continental style breakfast so don't expect a good old full English, just cereals & toast etc.
All staff were pleasant enough but I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple