“Best Hotel in London for this price!”
Review of Americana Hotel

Americana Hotel
Ranked #698 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Killyleagh, United Kingdom
“Best Hotel in London for this price!”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This Hotel is the best I have stayed in, in London for this price and location. First off, The location is excellent being only a 5 min walk away from the very central Marylebone Road, Baker Street Tube Station and Marylebone Station. Marylebone Road is also home to the world famous Madame Tussauds, the University of Westminster, many restaurants, bars, cafes etc and is only 1 mile away from Euston Station, which is very easily walked, as I did this during a tube strike.

Rooms. The rooms are quite small however they are clean and modern, well fitted out with wardrobe, bed,bed side cabinets, desk and chair, wall mounted TV and very importantly a large mirror. I am going to make a point of saying there is a large window - double glazed that provides lots of natural light and ventilation. Bed is comfortable. There is also a safe and hairdryer. Bathrooms consist of the basics - shower, toilet , wash hand basin and are nicely finished.There is also a large wall mounted mirror in the bathroom if the large one in the bedroom isnt quite enough, :-p . Most importantly there is free WIFI throughout the whole hotel.

Hotel. The hotel public spaces are warm, inviting, modern and nicely finished. There is an open plan dining and lounge area. Lounge area has communal seating and a large wall mounted television which can be nice to wind down in after a busy day site seeing. The dining area has mostly two-seater tables. Free tea, coffee, hot chocolate and pastries are available all day from the dining area. How very generous I thought! There is also a desk top computer with access to the internet for any non smart phone or tablet users. Some people may find the corridors in need of a paint job but to be honest how long are you spending in the corridors, every where else in the hotel is well finished and clean. One important and very useful service is the ability to leave luggage at reception after check out if you have a long wait until your journey and want to fit in more of London before leaving

Food. The hotel only serves Breakfast. There is plenty of choice here but it does not serve cooked meats such as sausage or bacon. It is more like a continental breakfast of breads, pastries, cold meat, cheese, spreads, fruit, yoghurts, juice etc. Great variety of herb teas and green teas. As I said it does not do lunch or dinner. However there are many many restaurants nearby- one to check out is the Allsop Arms, just two minutes walk away which has excellent breaded halloumi and cocktails.

Staff: The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful ALL of the time, not just when it suits them.

I stayed in this hotel on a part business, part relaxation trip with my girlfriend and found it to be a valuable haven.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Dirty walls and carpets in rooms and corridors. When I asked for an iron I was told there was one shared iron by reception. Tiny rooms. Have to say the staff were friendly though and the bed itself was comfortable. Spend less on gimmicks like red and blue LEDs on the shower head and more on a luck of paint, new carpets and guest irons.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Ric M

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Good points: Convenient location, room was clean and the bed was OK.
Negatives: Tired decor, noisy from the busy road (we had a basement room and could hear the tube train!!), very basic breakfast, small room + expensive for the facilities provided.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jinny232
London
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Now that I have moved out of London I needed a base for the occasions when I have to stay over in London. I think the Americana is going to be the perfectly placed for me as I will be able to walk to Lords for the cricket or take a short cab ride to a theatre, galley or any of the museums that I want to visit.

The beds are comfortable and although my room was on the small side it was prefect for my needs. There was no tray in the room but this was amply compensated for by the free coffee service in the lounge and the fresh ground espresso was a step up on the instant that hotels leave in their bedrooms. The rooms were clean and tidy and I much appreciated the huge bath sheets that are provided instead of the normal bath towel. It was a pity that it was let down by the staining on the carpet that smelt as though it had been recently cleaned and the poor state of the laminate on the bedroom door.

The breakfast buffet had a good selection and the lady who takes charge there made me feel most welcome. The staff at the reception were most helpful and nothing was too much for them. They were able to give me good directions and even checked the rail time table to help me on my way home. I found all the staff there to be service minded and from my experience that is a rare thing these days.

I will certainly be staying again and can recommend this small gem.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank BusterGray30
Augusta, GA
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We had a bit of travel fiasco on the morning of our trip, so the Americana Hotel was booked last-minute. Yes, we had a roof over our heads, but it was definitely less than our expectations. I'm not sure the carpet throughout the hotel has ever been cleaned. The laminate is peeling off every door I saw. "Making the bed" consisted of pulling the duvet cover up toward the head of the bed; we know this because we found my boyfriend's t-shirt folded up in the bed when we got home that night. The bathroom seemed clean when we arrived, but given the otherwise little attention paid to the rest of the room, we're not sure it was actually cleaned while we were there. I understand "it's London" and rooms are going to be small, but we didn't even have the room to put our suitcases and open cabinet doors and navigate around the bed - it was one or the other. The safe in the room was broken, and instead of trying to fix it, the manager at the desk preferred to just change our room. In fact, the desk staff was less than helpful throughout our stay. Only one of them is a native English speaker (in the home of the English language), and communication is definitely not their forte. The hotel does offer a nice breakfast, but that is pretty much the only positive thing I have to say about this place. Do yourself a favor - pay a little more and stay at a more acceptable hotel with better standards of cleanliness and better attitudes by the staff.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Red2014
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed here as the usual venues were full and there is a limited budget for expenses. Rather tired and shabby room but clean and comfortable bed and en suite. Breakfast fine and for central London a bargain. Staff were also very friendly

Room Tip: Had a room at the back on the ground floor which was very quiet.