“Unclean but convenient in a way”
Review of Americana Hotel

Americana Hotel
Ranked #705 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 May 2014

It's about a block from the underground and the underground system is easy to work. So that's. Plus but the rooms are so dirty that I don't think they ever get cleaned. Completely dusty and gross.

Staff is rude unless you get the older gentleman. They weren't helpful and made us feel like it was a bother when we asked them where things were.

Room was never cleaned when we were staying here either. Even though we did NOT put the sign on the door for not cleaning.

Rooms have no AC and it's very hot. I would stay somewhere else next time. It would be cheaper and better located if I stayed closer to central London.

Breakfast consists of white bread and yogurt. Just save yourself the headache and stay someplace else

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Travelingabroad9

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during the start of march, great location, staff extremely friendly and helpful, rooms could do with a bit of painting but you get what ya paid for we stayed 3 nights with continental breakfast - central London , great links across city - would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We didn't mind the room was on the top floor as we are healthy and there is an unbelievably old (a bit nostalgic, though) elevator going to the floor beneath the top floor. However, the room was very tiny, the bed only queen size, there was only one leaflet, one pillow and one towel although we booked for two guests. The heating didn't work and it was very cold. The walls were dirty. The TV was broken. They said there was no other room free. We stayed for one night only and that was enough.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
1  Thank Helga G
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This Hotel is the best I have stayed in, in London for this price and location. First off, The location is excellent being only a 5 min walk away from the very central Marylebone Road, Baker Street Tube Station and Marylebone Station. Marylebone Road is also home to the world famous Madame Tussauds, the University of Westminster, many restaurants, bars, cafes etc and is only 1 mile away from Euston Station, which is very easily walked, as I did this during a tube strike.

Rooms. The rooms are quite small however they are clean and modern, well fitted out with wardrobe, bed,bed side cabinets, desk and chair, wall mounted TV and very importantly a large mirror. I am going to make a point of saying there is a large window - double glazed that provides lots of natural light and ventilation. Bed is comfortable. There is also a safe and hairdryer. Bathrooms consist of the basics - shower, toilet , wash hand basin and are nicely finished.There is also a large wall mounted mirror in the bathroom if the large one in the bedroom isnt quite enough, :-p . Most importantly there is free WIFI throughout the whole hotel.

Hotel. The hotel public spaces are warm, inviting, modern and nicely finished. There is an open plan dining and lounge area. Lounge area has communal seating and a large wall mounted television which can be nice to wind down in after a busy day site seeing. The dining area has mostly two-seater tables. Free tea, coffee, hot chocolate and pastries are available all day from the dining area. How very generous I thought! There is also a desk top computer with access to the internet for any non smart phone or tablet users. Some people may find the corridors in need of a paint job but to be honest how long are you spending in the corridors, every where else in the hotel is well finished and clean. One important and very useful service is the ability to leave luggage at reception after check out if you have a long wait until your journey and want to fit in more of London before leaving

Food. The hotel only serves Breakfast. There is plenty of choice here but it does not serve cooked meats such as sausage or bacon. It is more like a continental breakfast of breads, pastries, cold meat, cheese, spreads, fruit, yoghurts, juice etc. Great variety of herb teas and green teas. As I said it does not do lunch or dinner. However there are many many restaurants nearby- one to check out is the Allsop Arms, just two minutes walk away which has excellent breaded halloumi and cocktails.

Staff: The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful ALL of the time, not just when it suits them.

I stayed in this hotel on a part business, part relaxation trip with my girlfriend and found it to be a valuable haven.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank David M
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Dirty walls and carpets in rooms and corridors. When I asked for an iron I was told there was one shared iron by reception. Tiny rooms. Have to say the staff were friendly though and the bed itself was comfortable. Spend less on gimmicks like red and blue LEDs on the shower head and more on a luck of paint, new carpets and guest irons.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Ric M
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Good points: Convenient location, room was clean and the bed was OK.
Negatives: Tired decor, noisy from the busy road (we had a basement room and could hear the tube train!!), very basic breakfast, small room + expensive for the facilities provided.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jinny232
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Now that I have moved out of London I needed a base for the occasions when I have to stay over in London. I think the Americana is going to be the perfectly placed for me as I will be able to walk to Lords for the cricket or take a short cab ride to a theatre, galley or any of the museums that I want to visit.

The beds are comfortable and although my room was on the small side it was prefect for my needs. There was no tray in the room but this was amply compensated for by the free coffee service in the lounge and the fresh ground espresso was a step up on the instant that hotels leave in their bedrooms. The rooms were clean and tidy and I much appreciated the huge bath sheets that are provided instead of the normal bath towel. It was a pity that it was let down by the staining on the carpet that smelt as though it had been recently cleaned and the poor state of the laminate on the bedroom door.

The breakfast buffet had a good selection and the lady who takes charge there made me feel most welcome. The staff at the reception were most helpful and nothing was too much for them. They were able to give me good directions and even checked the rail time table to help me on my way home. I found all the staff there to be service minded and from my experience that is a rare thing these days.

I will certainly be staying again and can recommend this small gem.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo