“What a Charming English Hotel is Meant to Be!”
Review of Commodore Hotel

Commodore Hotel
Ranked #900 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I was booked into an expensive horror of a hotel for a business conference in early May for most of my stay but on my own and paying my own bill for three days before and booked into the Commodore at Lancaster Gate. I've stayed in London scores of times and usually in Mayfair in a flat. The other reviews I read here and elsewhere said important things like "clean" "congenial staff" "good value"...even "good food". The critics cited very small rooms. My room was spacious as I booked a double for a very good rate. My bath was small but more than adequate and all very clean and fresh. The tv worked ... the window opened...the linens were fresh and ...well nice. Most of all the staff from the charming host (s) at the desk..to the porter...to the maids and wait staff...all helpful, warm, efficient. I look forward to staying there again soon. They know what they are doing.

Room Tip: I asked about the reviews I'd read noting how small the rooms were. I peeked into two that were...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank kathleen c
qurious, Manager at Commodore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Thank you for the kind comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward to welcome you back!

Reviewed 14 May 2012

Had a wonderful stay at the Commodore early May, 2012. The Staff is amazing. Extremely helpful and friendly, it was truly a pleasure to stay at this hotel. The room was bigger than expected after reading some of the reviews here, much to my delight. I had an Executive Double room and we could with ease fit two adults and infant crib without any problem. I had requested the crib in advance and it was set up with sheets and a pillow when I checked in. The staff at the Commodore do not miss a beat.

The room I thought was very well maintained, from the nice art on the wall and crown molding in the ceiling to the up-to-date bathroom. Breakfast was good, internet (at a charge) fast. Overall, I had a great experience at the Commodore and I think this hotel has a great value (less than $200/night + tax) for what you get, considering its location close to Hyde Park. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
qurious, Manager at Commodore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Thank you so much for the kind comments. All our staff read the reviews and yours will be much appreciated. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in the Executive double room.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back!

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Essentially we picked the hotel for its location. The staff were helpful, breakfast was good, clean but it's a really small hotel with tiny rooms.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mark M
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in March. It was a lovely stay, warm welcoming staff, the reception area is furnished beautifully. We had a lovely room, much larger than we expected for London. It was well appointed and very comfortable, we thought at £98 is was good value for London. Good location 2 minutes to the bus stop and 5 minutes to the tube and loads of taxis in this area if you wanted them. We travelled by coach so it was really handy that the bus for Victoria stopped 2minutes away and didn't need a taxi at all. Hyde park is just across the road which was lovely as we were there in warm sunny weather (yes it was March!). Breakfast was excellent loads of choice and coffe or tea was served at your table plenty of staff on duty so everything on the breakfast buffet was well stocked at all times. would definitely stay here again if the price was good.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lovetotravelBath
Reviewed 25 April 2012

The staff were distant and not friendly. The lift was the smallest we have seen. The triple was was not any bigger than a small double. WIFI was charged. EVERY other accommodation we stayed at in Europe provided FREE access.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Aileen C
qurious, Manager at Commodore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are sorry that you were disappointed on this occasion.

We do not have any triple rooms in the hotel. The room you stayed in is a standard double room with a sofa bed. We advise our guests that this room is more suitable for two adults and one child.

We make every effort to inform our potential customers that Wi-Fi is not included in the room rates. Please accept our sincere apologies in the case you were not informed of this at the time of making a reservation.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Booked our 3-nights stay during Easter holidays directly at the hotel website at a good price, the hotel is nice and situated close to Lancaster Gate tube and Paddington stations. Our twin room was small (which is traditional for London city centre, however the bathroom was spacious. Breakfast was rather poor consisting of plain yoghurt, boiled eggs, fruit, ham and cheese (I stayed in neighboring hotels of comparable rating several times and must admit that breakfast selection there was a bit better).
Overall experience is average but if the offer is good, I'd stay there again.
A big downside was my attempt to book a taxi to go to Euston station at the end of my stay. My train was departing at 8:50 am and I was planning to have breakfast and leave at 8:15, but when I asked the receptionist for advice, she persuaded me to leave at 7:45 due to 'awful traffic on bank holidays' (needless to say that breakfast was starting at 8:00). I agreed and she booked me a taxi for the fixed price of £12. It took me some time to check out but the receptionist assured me that the taxi is waiting and it's not a problem at all, so not suspecting anything I got into the taxi at 8:00 and (surprise!) was at Euston at 8:15. I was even more surprised when the driver asked for £23!!! I argued that the receptionist (and the book available in the hotel room) stated that the fixed price was £12 but the driver disagreed and insisted that the trip itself cost £15 and he fines (!) me for £8 as I was late to get into the car. Here I should say that it wasn't my first trip to London and I booked taxis via hotels many times before - getting into the car 5-10 mins later was never an issue and the price always matched the one announced at the reception.
I think this taxi company deteriorates the hotel's reputation and they should change provider of this service asap.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MRS_O_P
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed at the Commodore for 2 nights and it was quite ok. The breakfast was according to british standards and therefore had a limited choice. The room was also matching UK standards- although a family room not spacious. For whatever reason there were 2 single and one double bed in the room although the hotel was informed that we are three people/family. All in all a nice stay. Especially reception staff was helpful and friendly, however wanted us to book a taxi over them which would have costed 10 pounds more.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Happ_Ines_Travel

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We have noted all the points you raised.

The room you stayed in is the only one in the hotel with three separate beds. We mainly cater to couples and singles.

The mini-cab company we use has fixed prices. We would recommend this service for longer journeys rather than shorter ones.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back to Commodore hotel!