“Helpful staff, dirty carpet”
Review of Commodore Hotel

Commodore Hotel
Ranked #891 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I would have liked to have given this hotel a better rating because it is a pretty hotel with a very helpful staff. However, our basement (!) room had stained carpet, which was threadbare in places and a clogged shower shower drain. The mini-bar menu listed items which weren't there. The hotel is very close to lovely Hyde Park, but there is very little else around.

Room Tip: Avoid Basement rooms, they are gloomy!

Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Commodore Hotel for eight nights from the 28th July. I had booked a single room but was upgraded to a double (room 608). This room was very clean, had a large bathroom and the bed was very comfortable (which was great after my long days sightseeing).

The best part of this hotel is the staff. Whenever I entered or exited they were always friendly and helpful. Particular mention to the breakfast team. Not only was the continental breakfast delicious, the staff were lovely- a great way to start a morning!

The hotel is also in a brilliant location. A quiet street, in leafy area near Kensington Gardens, only a short walk to tube and restaurants.

My stay at The Commodore Hotel really made the first week of my holiday memorable and I would definitely recommend it and stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We received a complimentary upgrade on our stay at this hotel and we were given the Viceroy Suite. It was an amazing room (2 Levels!) and it was definitely a shame we were only staying for one night. The staff were friendly, if a bit quiet and it was a really calm, relaxing hotel to stay in. Unfortunately we had to leave very early the next morning so we didn't get to experience the food. Also, any other travelers should be aware that they do not sell alcohol at this hotel! It isn't very clear on the website. There are mini bars in the room filled with water and soft drinks. The location of the hotel is great too - only a 10 minute tube ride to Oxford Street and other major tourist attractions.

2  Thank jennysl04
Reviewed 10 August 2013

“Commodore hotel Londra 7 agosto 2012
Hotel scarso. They offer us the room L'8. We were very surprised as this was an underground room with limited light and air.
The room also was not clean.
We were very surprised that booking.com can offer tris kind of hotel Without checking them in advance!!!!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank FORREST_PAOLO
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This beautiful old Victorian had just about everything we needed for a 3-night stay. The location is wonderful for those who love to walk, run (stone's throw from Hyde Park), go antiquing (10-minute walk to Portobello Road), jump on the tube to to go site-seeing, etc. Within a 5-minute walk, also, are many restaurants with every type of food and for all budgets, as well as good pubs. Unfortunately, the pub in the hotel that was mentioned in online descriptions sits empty, as the newer owners do not serve alcohol for religious reasons :( Wine and beer can be purchased just around the corner for consumption in the room, though.
Our room was, as requested, quiet and large, and very comfortable and clean (no view, though -just roof and building... can't have everything). The entire premises were very clean and inviting, but though our ensuite bathroom was very attractive, the lighting was dim, there were no hooks on which to hang anything (minor complaints) and the old woodwork was water damaged and could use some repair. Also, the handheld shower nozzle could not be angle-adjusted and it was nearly impossible for even we short people to stand beneath (the huge bathtub was great, though, and filled quite quickly). And it was entirely impossible to get a consistent water temperature (HOT, cold, HOT, cold...), but I presume that's not uncommon in an antique building. The room had a surprising abundance of storage (huge armoire, dressers, desk) plus a snack fridge and safe, as well as plenty of electrical outlets.
The staff at the Commodore were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable and were quick to address any minor concern we had (like the TV didn't work when we arrived, but the young man who arrived to fix it discovered the connection had been jostled). A bit of a language barrier caused a little confusion over cold tea at breakfast, but the matter was resolved quickly. The cold breakfast consisted of hard-boiled eggs, croissants and rolls, cereal, bananas, apples and oranges, cheese and sliced ham, juice, coffee and tea and was enough to keep us going for hours. I would have appreciated some more tea bags left in the room, as they were not replenished during our stay, but I'm sure they would have been provided had I remembered to ask.
The biggest downside for some, I suspect, would be the limited use of the tiny elevator/lift, as it does not stop on all floors. Staying on the 4th floor, we had the option of either walking all the way up by stairs, or taking the lift to the 6th floor and walking down two levels. For people in good shape, it's no big deal and a bellhop is always available to carry luggage for guests, but for anyone adverse to using stairs, it could be an issue.
Overall, we were extremely happy with our stay here and would be happy to return. Because we had to make an early flight out of Heathrow on Sunday, we asked the night before to have our breakfast served early in the lounge and it was waiting for us when we arrived downstairs at 6:30 a.m. - very much appreciated. A tip for money-conscious travelers: do not take a taxi recommended by a hotel; the hotels get commissions of about 50% of the fare! We booked through a local company that a nearby shop owner recommended and it cost us nearly half of what the hotel-recommended cab company charged (and about the same as it would have cost us to take the tube and train, in a lot less time - about 45 minutes).

1  Thank canamandi
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I was in 504 in the corner, I had a small balcony and as the sun was shining it was a win. The hotel was very well run, the rooms clean and the service prompt. It was everything I expected from this type of hotel. The location was great close to the park, within easy walking of paddington. I liked the fact the area was quiet but I could get to some small shops and resturants in a few minutes.
Getting around was easy, I walked to High Street Kensington, to Oxford street and Leicester Square and around Hyde Park, if you don't want to walk (which i even do in the rain) Lancaster Gate tube was close by in one direction and bayswater a little further in the other. Lancaster Gate gets you on the Central line and into the middle of oxford street in a flash, and bayswater will get you to high street kensington in a few stops more..

I was very pleasantly surprised by the water pressure in the shower, for some reason this can be a pain point in even 5* hotels in England. This had plenty.
Breakfast was simple, a continental, but there was a good variety more than many hotels of this class offer.

Good solid, clean simple hotel, a good choice and I would stay here again, I have stayed in a few hotels in London in this same category and price point, though a little high on the price side it was the best so far.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, I had 504.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Hiddent
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Booked an executive room which had the added bonus of having a roof terrace. Nothing would have made me happier than enjoying the balmy summers evening sitting out enjoying a G n T but unfortunately the hotel does not serve alcohol, I noted that a previous reviewer mentioned it was down to the owners religious beliefs which maybe I can understand but this should be made very clear at the time of booking. I do think it smacks of double standards as there were plenty of pork products available for breakfast. Overall decent room with terrace, bathroom could do with some TLC, nice staff, no bar!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business