“Nice hotell in quiet area.”
Review of Commodore Hotel

Commodore Hotel
Ranked #902 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Very Nice staff. Nice quiet area, near beautiful Hyde Park. Very ok rooms. A bit cramped in the corridors. A Dangerous fire trap! Ok breakfast. Need taxi to Central London (but otherwise a Nice long walk) The hotel and rooms are clean og nice. You will hear the neighbours. Recomended for two night stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tommy F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,015)

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Me and my friend spent one night here. It was easy to find just a five minute walk from Lancaster Gate tube. It in a very quite area and felt very safe. The building is listed and had some interesting features inside and out. Our room was average in size, clean and had all we needed. Unfortunately, when we returned later there was a bad smell of paint but the receptionist moved us with no trouble. We also had the bad luck to have very noisy neighbours in this new room and had little sleep this was reported at 2.45am. a member of staff did speak to these people but the noise continued. We do not blame the hotel they did all they could. The buffet breakfast included in our price was not great (cooked breakfast was extra) which was disappointing but we still found what we required. It was a shame the breakfast waiting staff totally lacked any customer service, their English was poor and they did not speak in sentences just odd words that come across rude for example we queued for breakfast and when our turn came the member of staff just pointed at the table and said "you here" I would return to this hotel and I hope when I do the breakfast is improved slightly and the staff are better trained.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This was our first trip to London and the Commodore Hotel was our first stop. We had booked this several weeks in advance and was a little apprehensive since we had never been to the area. Let me just say, staying at the Commodore Hotel was a great beginning to the most wonderful trip we have ever taken. The staff was excellent and went over and above what we could have ever asked for. Since we had an early flight we arrived way before check-in time and they didn't hesitate to let us check in early so that we could rest before we hit the streets of London. The accomodations were excellent. The room was clean and comfortable and plenty of room. We were so impressed that we went ahead and booked another night for 2 weeks later when we would arrive back in London to be able to fly back home from Heathrow Airport. On the morning of our departure they realized we would be checking out before breakfast. When we arrived down to check-out there was a specially prepared breakfast waiting for us in the cozy lobby. This was so appreciated. I do need to also mention how convenient this hotel is. A quick walk and you are in Hyde Park, where we spent hours. It was also an easy walk to Trafalgar Square and all the sites in that area. We also walked right from the hotel to Picadilly Circus in the evenings. This was a little more of a walk, but how better to experience London at night.
Thanks so much for making our first visit to London a wonderful experience. We are already planning our next adventure there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sincere3201
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed in the Commodore Hotel as it was a bit of a last minute reservation. My room was in the basement area and had a door to the outside near the dust bins. The room was on the small side with a small bathroom. It was certainly adequate for one person and I had a comfortable double bed. The hotel was between two tube stations, Queensway and Lancaster Gate. I would go down to Queensway/Baywater as that street was a very nice street with shops and restaurants and banks. Several restaurants stayed open late, which was good for me, as I would get back from my Central London explorations quite late.

The lift was rather small and I had some difficulty with the luggage, however the desk staff was very friendly and helped me with whatever I needed help with. There was no phone reception in the basement area, and I missed several phone calls. There was also wi-fi for a charge, in the rooms. I believe there was a mini-bar in the room, however it was non memorable. There was good closet space. Behind the curtains was a glass exit door to the back area with the bins. It worried me a bit to think someone could break in, however, there was a good lock on the door and I did open it for some fresh air at times.

Overall, it was a decent hotel, not extremely remarkable. The lounge area was nice and I stayed in the lounge to read a bit, a few nights. I had a bit of room service, but didn't get the breakfast with the hotel package. I would stay here again, but not in a basement room.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in a basement room again, there is no phone reception down there.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I booked this hotel a few months ago for our stay in London to go to the radio 2 festival in Hyde Park, and had booked an executive room with continental breakfast for 2 nights. We weren't expecting luxury but our room was very basic and drab, I can't imagine what the standard room was like. However it was a great base and we slept well.

Pros
Walking distance to tube station and Hyde Park
Quiet location a block back from Bayswater Road
Large comfortable bed with nice bedding
Abundance of hot water

Cons
Small dreary room with a threadbare carpet.
Shower soaks the bathroom floor
Breakfast adequate but the queue makes you wonder if it's really worth the hassle (skipped on 2nd day)
Make sure you close bathroom window if using at night to avoid being the subject of peeping toms etc due to window angle and neighbouring buildings

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Considering this is marketed as a 4 star hotel our one night stay was not good. Granted the public areas at the reception were acceptable, as we're reception staff very pleasant and helpful. BUT our room was not good. The carpet was stained and looked so ground in dirty that I didn't take my shoes off! The bedding sheets had holes in them, the bedside lamps did not work and the shades etc were very dusty. Our window overlooked the back or side of the hotel not pleasant and we had an incessant drone from extraction unit I believe. The bathroom was also not good taps to the sink were old worn and the tap joint with sink was black with caked on dirt very unpleasant. The towels were also old and going grey instead of white. The door was in need of a paint as were some wall areas where furnishings have been moved and not covered over. Furniture was ok apart from the wardrobe which was something that had certainly seen better days.

Breakfast limited tables we had to wait for a table. The food was continental cold meat cheese eggs. The rotating toast was not good after three attempts we had slight colour on one side the other was uncooked. Having a low fat diet I was left to have banana or tinned grapefruit, prunes toast. The yogurt was unappetising a large bowl was filled with yogurt and you ladled it from there I found this disgusting and it looked so runny too.

Positives: comfy bed, location, reception staff during the stay and small lounge area. Would I go again no. Not what I expect from a 4 star hotel sadly.

Room Tip: Avoid room 63 ask for a refurbished room if they have any.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Firstly we turned up 2 hours after checkin time, and they couldn't find our reservation which meant the room wasn't ready. The location was good, close to the bus and tube and a safe neighborhood. The lobby was very old fashioned. Staff were okay, straightforward answers for everything. Included breakfast was pretty basic, cereal, ham, cheese, bread, coffee. Any Internet has to be paid for which, considering the prices of the rooms if you don't have a good deal is pretty rich. We noticed that there was a very strong smell of cigarettes through the hall, I guess from the smoking rooms (maybe I'm a little young but the inclusion of smoking rooms seems so old fashioned to me...not worth it for the smell it leaves throughout the whole ground floor!) So the room was a strange shape, but it wasn't bad. Most of the room was broken in some way, taps dripped, towel hanger wasn't screwed on, shower fittings broken, mould on the bathroom ceiling, carpet stained...the bed was clean though. But why do hotels insist on pushing 2 beds together the supplying a bedcover which is NOT BIG ENOUGH FOR 2 PEOPLE??! All in all I wouldn't recommend this hotel at all. It did the job ( being somewhere to store the luggage and somewhere to sleep) but that was definitely all.

• Stayed: September 2013