“Well, it's clean, but watch out for the duct...”

Best Western Mornington Hotel
Ranked #410 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Well, it's clean, but watch out for the duct...”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The plus points: when I told the girls on reception that I was never going to spend the night in the room they allocated me, they moved me without quibble. The new room was better; the bedlinen clean, the laminate (I think) floor spotless, and the white net curtains grey but not dirty. The kettle worked (though it was plugged in inside a cupboard on a special unit, watch out for steam) and there was an iron in the wardrobe. I didn't find hairdryer, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there, just not obvious. The minus points... The first room I was shown had a kitchen duct in front of the main window ... so you couldn't see out. As the room was on the fifth floor, I believe the staff member who told me it was an 'issue' all the way up the building 'for some people'. I take it those people are the ones who like light, quiet and don't worry too much about what might accrue between duct and window ... I don't know, it was dark when I arrived and I didn't wait to find out. The bathroom window was covered in perspex which couldn't be opened. Don't know why. The building is next door to a derelict one, which creeped me out a little bit, maybe cos the taxi driver was joking so much about the area. In daylight it didn't look so bad. I don't know what the food is like, the duct put me off everything, as did the dirt outside the window of the room I wound up in. Still, it is convenient for Paddington Station, just about. Would I stay there again? No.

Room Tip: Make sure you stipulate that you don't want a room with the duct outside.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear rebsaroo
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on tripadvisor. I appreciate all the feedback that we get and we will go through the feedback on a daily basis as it helps us to improve the experience for future guests.
I am sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. I am pleased that we were able to find you a room to your satisfaction. I have noted your comments about the duct and the dirt outside your window. If you have the chance I would appreciate you letting me know what room you stayed in so that I can address this issue of the dirty window with our housekeeping team.
Once again I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me
Email: byron@mornington.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
west texas
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel is in a good location, close enough to Paddington Station and Heathrow Express if you want to walk, and very short block from Hyde Park. It is close to a tube stop and bus stop has buses to Oxford Street and Victoria.

I need to use internet evenings to stay connected to office and personally. The Wifi is free but is an unsecured network requiring no logon, etc. Recent news stories have suggested that these are the most vulnerable to loss of personal information, passwords, etc.. I wish would go to a more secure network.

The rooms are European size and there is a step up into small bath which is a trip hazard. The towels are large. In addition to small soap bars, among the little containers of lotion, shampoo, there is a little bottle body wash that seems water down and not soapy. Sometimes these are not replenished. The wardrobe has a limited number of racks (not enough) and an ironing board which takes up a lot of room (but useful if needed). There are no drawers for storing non-hanging items. The linens are clean. The mattress on the bed was concave and sloped on the edge and high in the center.

If you use the breakfast option, the staff is friendly and the breakfast options hot (full English) or cold are good. For those who like orange juice, there is a fresh squeezed option.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JSCee
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear JSCee
Thank you very for taking the time to share your experience with us on tripadvisor. We appreciate all the feedback that we get as it is the most useful tool we have to improve the stays of future guests.
I am pleased that we met your expectations on this visit. I have noted your feedback about the Wifi. We did look at making it password protected but feedback from guests suggested that this was too much of an inconvenience. However we are continually reviewing the situation.
We have kept storage in the ro9om to a minimum. When we refurbished the hotel we took out a lot of the storage as it was taking up space and as rooms are not as big in London as they are else where we decided that it would be more beneficial to have more space with in the room however we are constantly reviewing this to make sure that we meet the majority of guest expectations.
Once again thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The room size is ok because i book in the family suite with a duplex type of room. The location great. Near hyde park, lancaster underground and famous Shopping oxford street. Because i did more sightseeing in london rather than staying in the hotel, i felt the hotel experience good enough to my standard. The service for breakfast was great, the people serving in the breakfast room was fast and friendly. I had been service by 4 different people in the reception. 2 out of the 4 are helpful and polite. The 2 others need to go again for hospitality training. Cold answer and unfriendly look. Summary from all of it, it is still a great stay

Room Tip: I like the family suite room duplex in the first floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear bigmamatraveling
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your recent stay with us on tripadvisor. I appreciate all the feedback that we get and we will go through the comments and scores on a daily basis to see make the changes that matter to our guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff to be friendly polite and efficient.
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Mornington for two nights in June. The hotel is close to the city, nice and tidy. Very good with ironing facilities in the room. Great service in the reception and breakfastroom. Lovely breakfast. I'm comming back to stay again in October!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Roger W
Thank you for your positive feedback. Edyta and her team in the breakfast room are very passionate about ensuring that our guests have a great start to the day and it is so pleasing to hear feedback on how well they are doing.
Thank you once again for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back in October
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The rooms are small, and the staff at the front desk had a somewhat condescending attitude. I felt I was imposing by asking a question. It is curious that responses I received from people outside the hotel, (market, tube etc) were more friendly and helpful than those I got from the hotel staff.

The hotel is in a good location near the lancaster gate tube (subway) station. Get an Oyster, a rechargeable ticket, and you can use the tube or bus to get almost anywhere quickly.

For dinner, the Mitre bar is behind the hotel and it has quite good food, as well as drink.

For breakfast, turn left out the front of the hotel to craven terrace turn left and proceed to the little laundry and dry cleaning shop that has a small breakfast nook. The Iranian cook there is very good. It's about 150 feet away.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Redtag
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and that you felt the service was not as friendly as it could have been. Please be assured that we have taken your feedback on board.
Auckland
Reviewed 21 June 2014

After hours of researching I finally made the decision to book into Best Western Mornington. Not once did we regret this decision. The hotel is very conveniently located to most attractions and also very close to the tube. The hotel and our room were always very clean. We had breakfast included with our package offering a very good range of hot and cold options. A special thank you to Edyta and her team who ran the breakfast room. Their cheerful, professional and helpful manner were a pleasure each morning. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Taniamartin65
Dear Taniamartin65
Thank you for your positive feedback .It is great to hear that you were pleased with your decision to stay with us and I appreciate your recommendation.