Best Western Mornington Hotel
Elysee Hotel(London)
  • Restaurant
The Columbia(London)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslancaster gateclose to hyde parklibrary barsingle roomcentral linebayswater roadwinter wonderlandbreakfast staffmarble archminute walkbreakfast roomheathrow expressironing boardkensington gardenssmall roomexcellent breakfastquiet street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is a really difficult hotel to review. On arrival you mustn't be put off by the semi derelict former hotel next door all boarded up. The Mornington reception and bar is superb, the reception staff are excellent. The interior of the hotel is immaculate and clean as are the lifts. The bedrooms are clean and the bed very comfortable, the bathroom is well appointed with quality fittings, but and there is a but - the bedroom is tiny, it is almost impossible to walk round two sides of the bed. The bathroom is barely 6ft x 5ft. There is not sufficient space for two medium size cases to be opened. The air conditioning unit seems to be pre programmed and you cannot adjust the temperature and the sash window will only open about 4 inches and there is no wedge to keep it open so a shoe was used. The sound insulation between rooms is poor - you can hear the keypad of the safe being used in the next room. The breakfast is good value for London and the staff are excellent once again, the basement breakfast room feels airy even without windows.
So that is why the hotel is difficult to rate because the good bits are excellent and the poor bits aren't good at all. It is well situated and is just about value for money in this part of London. A hotel that could be 3 stars or 5 stars depending on how you feel.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room as they must have large double rooms.
1  Thank Fotofinder
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Fotofonder
Thank you very for posting comments and feedback from your recent stay on tripadvisor. We appreciate all the feedback that we get as it is the most useful tool we have to improve the stays of future guests.
I am pleased that on balance you enjoyed your stay. I have taken note of the positive points and areas we need to improve. In general our rooms are small compared to an international standard of 4 star hotels. Unfortunately this is a London phenomenon due to the age and nature of the buildings.
We are in the process of refurbishing all of our sash windows. However we will continue to keep the lock in place to stop them from being fully opened due to the potential danger of someone falling out of them.
It is great to hear that you found the staff excellent. I am very fortunate to have a team that is passionate about ensuring all of our guests have a great stay with us.
Once again thank you for your feedback. I hope that you will choose us again when you are next in London.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here and would definitely come back.

Brilliant, efficient and friendly customer service.

Smart, clean, well appointed room. The only negative that the single room was really quite small - perhaps only to be expected when in such a central location.

Brilliant location - two minutes walk from the Italian gardens in Hyde Park, 15 minutes walk from the Serpentine and two minutes from the nearest underground. 10 minutes walk from a vibrant area full of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear OutdoorsyG
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on tripadvisor. I appreciate all the feedback that we get and we will go through the feedback on a daily basis as it helps us to improve the experience for future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and the brilliant efficient friendly customer service. I am very lucky to work with a team so focused on creating a great experience for all of our guests.
I have noted your comment about the room size. After 10 years of running hotels in London I agree with you that unfortunately London generally offers very poorly sized hotel rooms.
Once again thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Thank you Best Western Mornington as you made our 30th anniversary celebration very memorable. Husband and I are Best Western members in the United States and we have always wanted to travel to London. Mornington became our Home for 6 nights. The Mornington’s location is excellent for travel. Close to Paddington, next to Lancaster Gate , and Hyde Park. We booked early and strongly recommend the full breakfast option. The staff at the front desk were very kind, rooms were spotless, and service during the AM breakfast became a comfort every morning after long days of exploring .

If you want a ‘cookie cutter” hotel, walk down the way. It is an older property , but we wanted quirky, fun , and history. We did ask for a quiet room, and we were were blessed with 403. We booked a ‘Small standard” . Husband and I are a couple in our late 50’s and we learned to travel small and light with just small carry-on cases, so the 8x12 bedroom space worked well. If you have oversized luggage or are not familiar with old manor home room size, you may want to option for a larger space.

Explore the neighborhoods, walk and discover, but a grand ‘Thank You “ to the Mornington and staff.

Room Tip: Do book the breakfast option, Ask for a quiet room, Do inspect if you have lots of luggage,
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank oceanview117

Dear oceanview117
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us again and thank you for your lkovely feedback about the team
Once again thank you for your feedback. I Look forward to hosting you on your trip to London next year.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Visited this hotel a couple of weeks ago, the staff were very friendly and helpful, the hotel was spotless and the breakfast was good, the rooms were a touch on the small side but well equipt, the staff were exceptional, the location was brilliant, the food and drink were very reasonable, will return on our next visit to london.

Room Tip: When you go to your room with in minutes the reception will ask to make sure you are happy with the room, just be truthful and pleasant and they will offer you alternative rooms to chose from.

Dear kim r
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff to be exceptional. I am very lucky to work with a team so focused on creating a great experience for all of our guests.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The hotel was in an excellent location and close to Hyde Park and Lancaster Gate tube station. The staff were very helpful, polite and the breakfast service was excellent. The next door exterior could put you off but I would recommend the Mornington Hotel

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear A W
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us again and thank you for your lovely feedback about the team
Once again thank you for your feedback. I hope to welcome you back again when you return to London.