“Better than expected”

Ranked #969 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Roskilde, Denmark
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Me and my friend was so nervous for staying at this hotel because of all the bad reviews.
But. The hotel personal were so nice and helpful. We got a room on the first floor. Small but fine (we only stayed there to sleep, and what else do you need a hotelroom for?)
The only negative thing about the room was that the water in the shower was to hot.
The breakfast was fine (2 kinds of toast, marmelade, cheese, butter, milk/juice, coffee, tea, 4 kinds of cake, cornflakes, eggs).
The location was perfect! Close to Oxford street (great shoppingstreet) and close to hyde park and notting hill.
On the day we had to check out we could leave our bags in the reception and then come back later to collect it. It was free!
I will recommend this hotel if your in London to see London and not to stay in a hotel :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JLN1232013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

While reviews of the original hotel (Kensington Rooms) are poor at best, it still appears to be of a far higher standard that this place. As a result of the 'Maintenance Issue' at the other hotel, staying in this awful little place cost fare more than it would have had I not rejected it at the much lower price available when i made my booking. To say this is comparable is a joke and Lastminute were even less help that the hotel group, refusing a refund as alternative accomodation had been offered.
To make matters worse, on check-in, i was told this had the same problem 'no availability due to maintenance issue'. Despite this claim, I overheard them on the phone stating they had accepted a booking by someone else (no doubt at a much higer price). They eventually 'found' me a room as i protested.
Free breakfast was offered as a concession but not taken. Numerous fire-doors were permentantly propped open and the hotel was in a general poor state of repair. The shower thermostat did not work resulting in a cold shower (trickle) in a cubicle with a broken door. An external door was wedged half-closed and as a result seemed highly insecure as the bolts didnt mate with the sockets. The bed was terrible quality and only some of the power sockets were functional.
The cleanliness was to a higher standard than the rest of the hotel would indicate but its the cloest to a positive I can think of. The location is handy for Paddington station and busy enough to feel safe. If you got a different room, noise at night may be reasonable but room one was down a flight of steps in a stair cupboard and had stairwell custouts in the ceiling. This noise from people using the stairs was enough to wake you up repeatedly.
On the second night i was there, nearby works sounded like fracking was taking place next door, although I accept this may not be the norm. WIFI was supposedly available but being in a cellar room, was virtually alwatys unavailable. No mobile signal was available in the room either.

All in all, a poorly maintained hotel barely suitable for a basic overnight stay if comfort isnt important. £280 for two nights seems like daylight robbery. It is my opinon that they actively resell rooms to higher bidders and automatically try and move people into the worst hotels.
Regardless, I wouldn't even consider using either of the two hotels again and the same applies to Lastminute.com

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank cynik1ll

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Hong Kong
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Maintenance problem (still!): They need me to transfer to another problem once I arrived at the hotel, and I have no idea where the new hotel will be, as My mother will be joining me the next morning, I insisted to stay there in a single room.
Facilities: The room is absolutely different from the photos. Small and stuffy room, no wifi in the room, dirty bed sheet, small bathroom, the "private bathroom (toilet part)" is located OUTSIDE of the room, and everyone can go in, bad bed - the bed is very soft and my back hurts the next day, the light in the bathroom (shower part) so as the wardrobe inside the room are placed askew, as if they are falling down at any time, uncontrollable water temperature - When I checked at the very beginning, there was hot water coming from the shower, but when I wanna take a shower later that night, there was not any hot water, on the next day, there was only hot water but not the cold and I could not even control the temperature of the water.
This place is ridiculous, I am never coming back again. Do more research before you decide to book this hotel, I am sure you can stay in a better hotel with the same price.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are super noisy as there are lots of bars and busy traffic outside
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Emma L
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My friend and I stayed here for one night this month and were appalled. The internet was down upon arrival and as a result it meant their card machine was down also. We had already walked around for most of the day but were told we could not have our key until we had paid the balance in full. After we had finally got back from the train station (nearest cash point) we headed up to our room (top floor!). The photos on this hotels website are very generous. The room was a LOT smaller than it appeared and quite dirty. Our bathroom had a door but this had no handle or lock, we had cracked window panes and the shower managed to scald us both (on separate occasions!) Didn't bother risking the breakfast the next day.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank lorna909
spain
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Hi me and partner stay here for 3 nights in room 106. we found that the wifi is not working for 2 days and were very disappointing but the guy in the reception gave us a usb key to use the internet but with one usb key we are not able to use and my partner was very bored without the internet we informed this in the reception and one guy in the recption gave his personal laptop and later he manged to provide us the wifi and we were very happy so that we can watch football matches live. the two indian guy in the reception who helped us a lot by guiding us about the places in london, i will definatley recommend this hotel for others, So paddington is best for its price and services.

will recomend this hotel to all my friends in spain.

Room Tip: please choose rooms on the first floor only
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
walsall
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We booked this hotel for it's location as we just needed a base for 2 days, wasn't encouraged by the reviews but the fact it had a bathroom swung it for us.
However on arrival (3pm) we were told that we couldn't stay there as they had no internet and plumbing problems, no attempt was made to contact us so it came as quite a shock.
We were escorted round by the receptionist to their sister property which was a 5 minute walk away (see Assaha hyde park for review)
On the upside at least it was in the same location as that was the prime reason for staying here, on the downside, it was very unprofessional of them not to contact us, and they didn't really seem at all bothered.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank neilharris
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We booked a visiting business colleague into this so-called hotel. Upon checking in & then being shown his room, he was so appalled at the standard that he refused to stay there and complained at Reception, where he was advised that he had been allocated the best room in the property! He promptly left & the hotel has refuted his complaints.
The carpets were stained, the furniture was dilapidated, the walls were scratched & marked, the net curtains were filthy and the tiny bathroom was filthy.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business