“Go somewhere else - not worth the cost”
Review of So Paddington

So Paddington
Ranked #970 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Bed was comfy, wifi strong and free, close to Paddington station, and receptionists nice. But...I got the 4th floor room that smells like damp mold. No elevator. Thank goodness the weather was nice and street noise doesn't bother me so I could keep the window open the entire time - otherwise the smell would have been unbearable. I don't have a keen sense of smell so for those that do, probably nothing would make this room habitable for you. Shower was scalding hot and no way to adjust the temp. Everything is old and in much-used condition. TV remote was broken, trash can broken. After reading the other reviews I skipped breakfast. The owner is clearly not listening to feedback as people have been saying the same things for months. Go somewhere else for 125 GBPper night! The street is lined with other hotels - they can't be worse. I've stayed in worse, but that was in 3rd world countries. Gonna have a chat with my travel agent to ensure this gets completely removed from the "viable options" list for my company. Thank goodness I'm only here 2 nights!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Ybez4u2c

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Thank goodness I only stayed here one night as it was by far the worst b and b I've ever stayed in. After reading the review for 28th March I'm sorry to say that they obviously weren't that concerned about the hot water as we experienced the same problem. We were also told that we had one of their better rooms so I dread to think what the others were like!!!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank PAULA L
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We were supposed to stay here, but walked in and straight away the place had a terrible smell, we were shown three rooms.. One hadn't even been cleaned the others had hair on the bed, stained ceilings and just a disgusting condition. It's not 3 star.. We refused to stay, the girl on reception said we would get a refund, now having to go through the relevant authorities to get the money back! The whole chain is a joke!

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank Mattpp1
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for two nights for his birthday in room 206. We found it on laterooms.com and booked it as an impulse break. Having booked it we decided to take a look at the reviews on trip advisor. Have to say was very worried at this point because of the amount of complaints and pictures that went with it, but as we had paid there was not really a lot we could do and decided to just go with it.
When we arrived we were too early to check in but the lady at reception was kind enough to let us leave our bags while we went in to the centre to explore. Coming back later was fine and our bags were where we had left them, check in was very good and the staff were all lovely and helpful.
Our room was fine nothing special but it was only for two nights we thought so we weren't worried. The bathroom on the other hand was tiny (see pictures). When you opened the door it would hit the sink and you had to work your way round the toilet to close it properly. The shower also was tiny and broken as we found on the first morning of our stay. there was a knob for pressure and one for temp. The temp was broken so the water would run at a scolding temp no matter how far down you turned it, I myself resorted to turning on the taps in the sink to a good temp and filling a cup and poring it over myself while stood in the shower as you could not move away from the flow of water from the shower itself and there was no way you could stand under it without suffering burns. We did report this to reception and they did seem concerned which was good hopefully it will get sorted.
Breakfast really nothing special continental only so bit boring. We had it included in the price of our stay so no big deal but if you are going to opt in and pay for it, DON'T! as you would be wasting your money. It never says on the website itself that you have to pay for it but if it is ever mention to you as an additional cost don't bother as you would be better finding somewhere in the local area to have a decent fry-up. And since you are in the heart of Paddington it would not be difficult to do that.
You are a short walk from Paddington station and the tube so its very good if you want central, but at the same time your not right on a main road its only round the corner and is quite quite. Plenty of food places like we say and only a 15 min tube ride into the centre.
I myself would not stay here again unless really desperate as there are other places as good as if not better for less money. Over all not great but not bad.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed 2 nights in Hotel,the room was on the first floor,it was small but clean and good view.
Receptionists were very nice and helpful.The location is great,close to Paddington Station.
If you do not want to spend the day in the hotel room is good,it is a room where you can sleep,take shower.Breakfast is adequate, although it would be much better if it had english breakfast :).

So...we will coming back there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carolina C
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I attempted to stay at So Paddington last night after booking and receiving confirmation on line. on arriving late in teh evening they had my booking but no rooms. i was sent to another hotel who refused the booking and called the police when understandably i got angry. I am now trying to get my money back. As the phone numbers on line dont work or are answer machine only im not sure how much luck i will have. Stay well away.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank pmgme1
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We booked online because the photos look very nice however when we arrived its stank of urine as soon as we walked in. They tried to put us in a room we didn't book so we complained and got moved. However when we got in the other room it still stank, the bed was dirty, the towels had holes in them, the floor was uneven, the walls were falling apart and the bathroom was terrible- so small, bin lid thrown on the ground and the shower was broken- water spraying everywhere. We went to get a refund to go elsewhere and they agreed but now they are refusing to pay! False advertisement, poor customer service and overall an awful place, definitely not 3 stars!

• Stayed: March 2014