“City Trip”

Ranked #299 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Cork , Ireland
“City Trip”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Excellent Location, just two min walk to Earls Court tube station. We got a a friendly welcome from the lady at reception. In fact all the staff were friendly. They are currently renovating the Hotel and we got one of the newly refurbished rooms. Lovely decor. The room was a bit small but it's London and we got a great price so no issue there. Free Wifi - nice . Continental Breakfast included. Overall a great Hotel for a City Break and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: They are upgrading the rooms at the moment. Ask for the newer rooms if available. They have all the...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Bartlett, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel as part of a group. First, the positive. The location was perfect.....extremely close to Earls Court tube station which is a major tube line & close to many restaurants & stores. The staff was very friendly & helpful. Free wi-if is a huge plus to me. The breakfast was more substantial than the hotel our group used last year which was nice. As several reviewers have mentioned the hotel is undergoing a renovation. I happened to stay in an unrenivated room for most of my week stay and a renovated room for one night (explanation coming). Yes, the unrenovated rooms are old and, well, a little shabby. But they had charm! I wish the renovations had upgraded the mattresses, bedding, carpets, etc. but maintained the charm! Instead the renovated room are extremely modern, almost futuristic. I prefer the old style, just upgraded.
My review would be completely positive except for one incident. I returned to my room one day to find an inch deep level of feces in my bathroom. That had ran down from the ceiling. Feces. Very gross. This explains my one night stay in a renovated room for repairs to be made & cleaning. First I had to replace all my bathroom items (toothbrush, hair brush, etc.) at my own expense as feces had ran down the wall. Second the hotel would not allow me to stay in the renovated room for the remaining 2 nights of my stay requiring two moves. I understand things can happen during a renovation but I feel the hotel could have handled this better.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night recently because some friends I was meeting in London had already booked it and so I thought I'd join them there.The hotel is currently undergoing some renovation work and I saw 2 rooms. My room was on the first floor giving onto the back garden. Everything in the room was tired around the edges, worn covers on the chair, worn woodwork on the furniture etc etc. You get the idea. Both the room and the bathroom were clean. Minimal noise from the outside, generally a quiet room. My friends room was on the ground floor, spacious and I think the bathroom had recently been renovated. They told me it was a noisy room. Breakfast was nice - continental style with a good choice of cereal, fruit etc etc. Good location as just round the corner from Earl's court tube station.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Rockingham, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2013

A very convenient location with the Earl's Court Station just a short 5 minute walk away. The hotel is located on a quiet street with a park area across the road and has all the facilities and services of Earl's Court Road a 100m or so down the road. The room we were in was located on the basement level (accessible by a very small lift or stairs) at the rear of the hotel which avoided any road noise but the corridor was cluttered with excess hotel items. A french door in the room gave access to a very small outdoor area which appears to be for hotel outdoor storage spaces. No hotel car park is available.

The room is small as is the bathroom but both were clean and reasonably well maintained. There was no tea/coffee making facility in the room or fridge to keep drinks cold. The bed is only of double-bed size and was a little uncomfortable. The continental style breakfast was very good with the ability to self cook boiled eggs, have fresh made toast or even ask for a cooked breakfast.

The staff are very courteous and helpful and were willing to make taxi bookings for us when we needed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The staff is as kind and helpful as can be.
The location is simply PERFECT: 200 meters from Earls Court, in a quiet and beautiful street of Kensington. In front of the hotel there is one of those famous private gardens...
The breakfast room (conservatory) is full of light and cozy.
We happened to stay in two different rooms. This is what I can say:

Room #1: for two people is huge & very quiet. BUT the rugs are ancient. That would be acceptable if they were clean... And they are not. Fragments of someoneelse's nails were on the floor... Imagine the dust etc. There are no security gratings at the windows, and the room is on the -1 level, I.E. everyone could get inside it from the street. The air circulation system in the bathroom doesn't work.

Room #24: the room is tiny for a double room. The paving is really noisy. The rugs are ok, but stll not very clean. Tapestry is ancient, and "white" curtains do not block the light at all. The air circulation system in the (tiny) bathroom doesn't work, and the whole room is mouldy.

Even though the prices are "low" comparing to other neighbour hotels that are FAR worse than this, they are still quite high. I am still uncertain on if I would stay there again...

Room Tip: I would prefer rooms in -1 level. They are quieter after all.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Olgulishius
Grenoble, France
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Hotel is clean and room ok.
However I've been unfortunate to get room 10 which is located right in middle of the staircase, leading to 1st floor rooms + lift for upper floors.

This location is way too noisy and having read good critics on this site, I'm now disappointed with my choice. I tried to change room without any luck :(

Room Tip: Avoid the first floors if you can!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TripAdvisedG
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Stayed here for my time in london! Mainly stayed here because it is close to Chelsea football club stadium! But it is very good location for everything! Located in Earls Court! You are very close to the underground to get around! The staff is very friendly and very helpful! They helped me out every time! Was very comforable and clean! Can't beat it for the price and location! Would stay again here for sure!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo