“Mixed feelings”
Review of Oliver Plaza Hotel

Oliver Plaza Hotel
Ranked #685 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 October 2012

The hotel is in a good location, just two minutes walk to the Earl's Court Station. From there you have underground lines to every central location in London.
The room we got was quite small and was with a malfunctioning radiator and windows that cannot be opened. The bed is comfortable and so are the pillows.
When we booked the hotel online we got it for a reasonable price of approx 105£ per night, including breakfast. Upon arrival the manager told us that we are eligible for the continental breakfast only, and if we want an English breakfast we should add 5£ each. The continental breakfast is extremely simplistic, so don't expect too much.
Even though it was written (here in reviews) and on their website that the Internet was complimentary- it is not. They give one hour a day per room for free, and said that if you want more you should pay. But, they gave us more one hour passwords for free upon request, but it didn't feel comfortable to ask every time. The wifi reception in the room was very low and they a very limited bandwidth, so the browsing is slow (the wifi router is next to the receptionist)
As for the staff, something is very wrong there. The relationship between the management and the staff is bad, and we heard and saw them shout at them in a number of instances.

Room Tip: We had our room at ground level facing the street, and it was quite and had very quick access.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tomer76
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for posting a review about the Oliver Plaza Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you liked our convenient location and found our beds very comfortable which is so important for a good night sleep especially when you are traveling.

I’m disappointed to read that you had some issues with wi-fi connectivity which sometimes might be slow due to the number of users and I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience. please be assured that we have already looked into this matter.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back so that we can show you our true hospitality and change your opinion in a positive way.

Kind Regards,
Suresh David.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

The Oliver Plaza Hotel was a tremendous disappointment. I found the staff's conduct to be reprehensible, and the rooms to be less than expected. During my stay at the hotel I witnessed a receptionist using the computer at the front desk to search for a new job - rather than serve the guests who were lining up in front of him. I was confronted with a night receptionist who felt the need to very angrily disclose his entire life story to me when I lodged a complaint - apparently, he lost a lot of money in share trading and managed a larger hotel at some point, which therefore gave him the authority to behave in a crass and inappropriate manner when dealing with me. (Apparently, he's far too important a person to deal with the issue I had during my stay!) I saw a receptionist nastily gossiping about a guest with his colleague, and without the appropriate discretion that one would normally take when doing so - I was right in front of him, yet he kept on going! Yet what was most disappointing about this hotel was that there is an unusual degree of embellishment going on with their advertising - that is to say, the rooms are not as pictured. The walls in my room were cracked and shabby, and the carpet was very tired looking. The furniture in the room appeared to have been installed rather recently, but that hardly redeemed the poor state of the room itself. The bathroom was very old, and I was very disappointed to find mould growing in the shower. (Oh, and breakfast was just rubbish! Go to a cafe instead. Starbucks is right around the corner!)

If the prices were cheap and there were no other options available in the Earls Court area, I might consider returning. However, I'd have to be really, really, REALLY desperate.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank OdelieJack
Reviewed 7 September 2012

My experience at the Oliver Plaza was very pleasant. The gentlemen at the reception desk during the day are exceptionally professional – wonderfully accommodating, charming conversationalists, very polite indeed. When making the booking over the telephone we informed the manager that our flight back to New York had been delayed and, noting that we had come to London for business purposes only, and that we had no interest in going around the city in our final few days, he was more than happy to provide us with complimentary Internet usage for the duration of our stay. I was exceptionally impressed with the service I received even before I arrived at the hotel. The rooms are reasonably comfortable and well maintained, and the complimentary breakfast was satisfying enough. I cannot stress enough, however, that nicer croissants need to be provided, although this is coming from someone who has spent a great deal of time in hotels in France and Switzerland, and has come to expect delicious pastries for breakfast. Finally, the location is very convenient – Earls Court Tube Station is a rather short distance away, offering connections to popular locations in central London as well as a train service to Heathrow Airport. It is also located near a number of cafes and restaurants in Earls Court Road, and the number 74 bus which goes to both Knightsbridge and Oxford Street. I would certainly consider returning to the Oliver Plaza again based on the wonderful service I received.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank newyorker91
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Dear Reviewer,

I’d like to thank you for such a wonderful review about your recent stay at the Oliver Plaza.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, even more so reading that you would visit us again. Our team do pride themselves on consistently delivering only the best service in a warm and relaxing environment and am happy that this reflects in the feedback we receive. You are right, we are ideally situated for visiting London, be it business or pleasure.

Now we are looking forward to welcome you back at Oliver Plaza Hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 September 2012

The majority, if not all, of the staff that I encountered at this hotel were exceptionally friendly and welcoming. It's disappointing to read the poor reviews of their behavior by previous guests, as I really felt that, of all the hotels I've stayed at in London, the staff here conducted themselves with an appropriate level of professionalism, which is something that I rarely see. They were polite, courteous, highly accomodating, and friendly (and not in an invasive way). Indeed, when I went down to breakfast one morning, I saw a gentleman who was incredibly rude to a server, bordering on being verbally abusive. This member of staff did not get annoyed, and even attempted to calm the gentleman down by offering him a complimentary English breakfast. Even after this, when the gentleman continued to behave in a completely unacceptable manner, the server maintained their composure and was friendly. The staff at this hotel are incredibly professional, and really seem to understand that they are in the hospitality business. It's really commendable.

However, even with this in mind, I would probably not return to the Oliver Plaza Hotel. The rooms are perfectly adequate (admittedly, there is still a great deal of room for improvement), but there are many other hotels in the area that offer equally comfortable accommodation at a more competitive rate. I'd also strongly recommend that the hotel changes it's policy and offers complimentary Internet usage to guests, as that would make potential clients more inclined to make a reservation.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank arsolo
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Dear Arsolo,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback following your recent stay with us at the Oliver Plaza Hotel. You’re right our team is one of our biggest assets and I am happy to read that you experienced our excellent customer service. Our staff has very individual and warm approach to every guest and they are often recognised for their professionalism and great customer service.
I am sorry to read that you were not happy with our rooms. Each and every one of our rooms is individually designed and decorated and vary in size and layout. I am confident we can find you a room that you will be very comfortable with. It’s through listening to our guests like you we try to improve our service and you will be happy to know that we have already implemented a complimentary internet service to all our guests.

I honestly hope to see you back at the Oliver Plaza and experience the stay in our other room types.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 11 August 2012

My friend and I stayed here for 2 nights for an olympic event.The Hotel is conveniently located to earls court tube therefore close to all city attractions. This is the only plus point of an otherwise disappointing stay in a supposed 3 star hotel. We had room 303 a twin bed room which was tiny and stifflingly hot even with windows open and a fan on. The room was clean and there was a safe and tea coffee facility and a flatscreen tv with lots of channels however there is no comfort in the room.It was spartan with old faded carpet and soft furnishings and the cheapest laminate furniture. If you plan a budget stay and just need the room for sleeping this would be fine however be aware there is no wardrobe ony a small pole stuck to a piece of wood which i presume is the hanging space. There is no other means of storage. There are 2 sockets only in the room which was a pain as one was in constant use for the fan so we were limited to one socket for charging phone, hairdrying etc..The bathroom is tiny to the point that sitting on the toilet meant knees touching the wall and you could touch all walls standing in the centre.The bath amenities were cheap and the towels smelled musty and were tiny. There was not one hanging space in the bathroom so towels were left on the safe in the room. There was a big step up to the shower so elderly people should be aware it probable wouldnt suit them. The bathroom suite was tired and old.There was only one pillow per bed and the beds are very old and small and felt cheap. I could feel every spring in the mattress and we both have backache still. Everything seems done on the cheap. The check in was perfunctuary and one gets the impression this asian run hotel gets you in, takes your money and gets you out. Infact they charged my card even before I got there so its all about the money!! Theres none of that lovely london charm we encountered everywhere else in the city which is a shame. Maybe they should remember they are in the hospitality industry. Check out time is 11am and bang on 11am I got a perfunctuary "madam you must check out now" call. I responded "we will be down in 2 minutes, thanks" only to be hung up on. As it happened we were leaving the room at bang on 10 past 11 and encountered a hostile young guy who claimed we had to pay a late check out of 30 pounds. When my friend challanged him he claimed to be joking but either way he came across very smarmy and unfriendly. At least they didnt charge us to leave our bags for a few hours. My friend summed it up perfectly when she said the room is like a private room in a hostel. For the price of over 200 pounds for 2 nights room only Im sure there are better options in london. Im not sure what the standards are for 3 star properties in the UK but in Ireland you can expect a day table with chairs and a chest of drawers aswell as other amenities such as a welcome book and hanging space for towels! The location is good but to be fair there are lots of hotels in the area that im sure are alot better. I wouldnt recommend. Oh and as a side note the lift is teeny. It is like half a lift and could only fit 2 people and one big suitcase at a stretch!

Room Tip: Stay in Earls Court but pick a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank babydoll27
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. Please be assured that our management take these comments very seriously and I have followed up your comments directly with my team.

Whilst I was pleased to note that you appreciated our convenient location and cleanliness, I am sorry to learn that you found our rooms not as comfortable as most of our other guests. I have noted your comment about wardrobe and extra pillow. Each and every room is decorated to maximise space and we have open wardrobe and I am sure if you had spoken to our front desk they would provided you with an extra pillow and also the minor issues in your review could have been addressed immediately.

Most of all I was concerned to read your review about our team here as the delivery of caring and helpful service is the cornerstone of our service philosophy. You’d appreciate, we have to clean the rooms before the next guest arrives and during Olympics things were extremely busy and we had to request guests to vacate rooms after check-out. But we always offer them the options of storing luggage incase there is a late flight to catch etc…

Lastly, our lift can accommodate 4 people, as recommended by lift companies according to the size of our Hotel. Unfortunately, your experience here runs totally against what the vast majority of our guests regularly tell us.

It is disappointing for any stay to end on a low note, and even more so to learn that you would not consider returning to Oliver plaza. I am very sorry that your stay with us was not as positive as that of others on this site.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 August 2012

I have been a patron of this hotel for over 20 years and can highly recommend it. It is well run, clean and the staff are consummate professionals. While the rooms are typical size for any London hotel- here read small, they are comfortable nevertheless. Suresh the manager and his staff go the extra mile in making everyone feel welcome and the number of returning clients is testimony to this. The joys of this hotel is it's easy access to the tube station and bus stops which allow one to be in the center of London in minutes.
Anyone attending an event at either Earls Court Exhibition Center or the Olympia Ehibition Center will find this an ideal choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2012

Dear Franschhoek,

Thank you so much for your kind comments following yet another stay at the Oliver Plaza hotel.

I am delighted that you chose The Oliver plaza everytime your business requirement brings you to London and am happy to read that my team took such good care of you for all these years. We are further pleased to note that our location and good value for money once again combined well to make your stay with us an enjoyable experience.

I am delighted at your recommendation to other travellers and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel and rate it as one of the best 3* hotels for value its location is
excellent near to Earls Court station restaurants banks buses.hotel very clean and rooms modern although small,there was no wardrobe just a hanging rail for clothes and no room for luggage we only stayed 4days so we managed. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good with a good choice of food.I cant praise the manager enough he was very friendly and helpful throughout our stay.I would use this hotel again should i visit London.

Room Tip: try to get a corner room
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Dear Brenda,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. I was really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our service. I have passed on your kind words to the team.

We have different types of rooms ranging from Double/Twin, family to studio apartment to cater to all types of stays, short or long, please let us know when you are coming next time so that we book appropriate room for your stay.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back soon.

Kindest regards,