“Would stay here again..”
Review of Oliver Plaza Hotel

Oliver Plaza Hotel
Ranked #673 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Would stay here again..”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stayed at the Oliver Plaza 6 nights, overall it was really good, service was great! We wanted to buy last minute tickets to see the Lion King and they booked it for us with no hassles.
The morning breakfast is great and the rooms were very clean.
Location is okay, bit out of the central part of London in Earls Court but has supermarkets near by and fast food and restaurants.
Also! it is a very close walk to the train station so getting around to places isn't hard.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank s_goddard
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I was really happy to read your comments following your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to do this.

I'm delighted that you felt our location and neighbouring facilities delivered everything that you needed and that you enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel. I have passed on your kind words to my team here.

We now look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Kavin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights in paid about 120 pounds per night for a twin room. The hotel is basic but clean and the rooms are quite spacious for hotels in this price range. The location is excellent just a couple of minutes walk to Earls Court Tube station. I found the staff quite helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Bryce Y
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
Dear Bryce Y,

Thank you for posting a positive review about the Oliver Plaza hotel following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you were overall happy with your stay and found our rooms spacious and clean. Your short but to the point review is very much what our staff likes to offer at The Oliver Plaza – great service without any fuss! This combined with our great location works very well for our customers.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kavin
Clapham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I booked this hotel because it looked nice online, How wrong I was. We arrived first thing in the morning and where rudely informed to come back later. Abit taken aback we left our bags and came back later. They couldn't find our booking, then when they did they claimed we had not paid anything, which we HAD. The we got our room keys, went to our room and NOT BEEN MADE. It was in the state the last occupant left it in. A guy checking in the same time got the room next door and he also had his room not made.

They moved us to another room. This room was so small that just by having a suitcase we had no room to move, no fridge, no storage, no room, 1 tiny pillow, the bathroom had no shelfs so we had to put our things on the toilet, the toilet that was so squished into the corner you had to use it sideways to fit. The rooms also had no double glazing so we spent the night lying awake listening to every person who walked past, or screamed or drove or had a fight ect ect.

We got up in the morning to rush down for breakfast, we got no choice in what we had, just what was given, and it was FOUL. Not that the waitress/cleaner cared, she was rude and spoke little english.

ANother point is the rooms heaters cannot be controlled from inside the room, as a result our room was boiling hot, we had to wait for them to turn off the whole building for it to cool down, which didn't happen till 2am.

I would never recommend anyone staying in this poorly run, understaffed, ruin of a hotel.

Room Tip: Don't book here, but if you must, get on the top floor, it MIGHT be a tad less noisy.
3 Thank Laura B
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2012
Dear Laura,

I am so sorry to read your review about Oliver Plaza. Clearly we have not come up to the mark on this occasion and apologise for your experience. We do not ever give the impression of being much bigger than we actually are, and am sorry to read if that is what has happened.

Our check in time is 2pm and we make it very clear on our reservation confirmation but we do have a luggage room were guest can store there luggage incase of an early arrival or late departure.

We are very sorry to hear about the heating problems you faced. Due to the cold weather in London during November we had switched the heating on but there is a regulator in every room to control temperature and I’m sure had you asked anyone at reception they would have helped you.

Once again I am sorry to read that we did not come to your expected standard but hope this was not due to any miscommunication on our part.

Suresh David.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Based on their website, I thought this hotel would be nicer than it actually was, but they have too much working against them...small rooms that prohibit you from walking around the bed without turning sideways, no chair for the "desk", tiny bathrooms where your knees hit the wall when using the toilet and showers the size of a phone booth. The wi-fi system in absolutely archaic and not user-friendly - you have to get a code for a specific number of hours, and you can't use the same code on mulitple devices, and you can't log back on with the same code after you've logged off. And they have the nerve to charge you for that nonsense!! The elevator was the size of a phone booth, and painfully slow. They require you to leave your key when you leave the hotel for "safety" reasons, but it's only b/c they are too cheap to use normal keys or a keyless system. Several times I asked for no housekeeping, but my wishes were ignored. The volume on the tv didn't work, so I couldn't even enjoy that. No closet for clothes - there is a pole that sticks out of the wall over the microwave, so your clothes block that and then get in the way when you're walking around the bed. Walls are very thin - I heard my neighbor sneezing and moving his furniture around.
All in all, a poor choice. I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise, but you still need to keep the window closed.
1 Thank Jen G
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Oliver Plaza hotel, we value your feedback as it allows us to improve our guest experience.

Whilst I am happy to read that you enjoyed our convenient location, I am most concerned to read of your disappointment with our service and facilities. We work hard to deliver a warm and friendly service and make our guests stay as comfortable as possible which reflects in all other reviews. Although I am sure your experience was a "one off" we will take this on the chin and review how we are perceived as we realise the importance of "first impressions". Please be assured that your comments have already been followed up.

It is disappointing for any stay to end on a low note, and even more so to learn that you would not consider returning to Oliver Plaza. I am very sorry that your stay with us was not as positive as that of others on this site.

Yours Sincerely,
Wallasey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I frequently travel to London on business and, for the past 3 years or so, have been battling to find a good hotel that is reasonably conveniently located for the City, whilst remaining good value for money.
I've found it!
Oliver Plaza is located in a quiet and peaceful location - ideally placed close to Earls Court Underground station (and thus a quick tube ride to the City) - is wonderfully close to some great restaurants and cafes on Earls Court Road and offers friendly, professional hospitality.
The rooms are clean, well appointed and perfectly adequate (if a little on the small side). The Continental Breakfast is generous (good coffee too!) and the staff helpful and obliging.
Their wi-fi system takes a bit of getting used to, but it works fine - which is essential for a business traveller.
A good night's sleep is guaranteed - comortable beds and bedding and NO traffic noise (almost unhead of in London)!
I'll be back.

Room Tip: As all floors are served by a lift, there are no issues with dragging luggage up stairs! There are r...
Dear John,

Thank you for your lovely review of Oliver Plaza Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our warm and friendly service. As always our location, facilities and service has combined well to make your stay with us an enjoyable experience.

I have also passed on your kind words to the team. Reading such a great report on our service is always a real pleasure. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warm regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Contrary to some other reviewers, I found the staff friendly and efficient. The continental breakfast was adequate although I have found greater choice at some 3 star hotels. The single room was comfortable, clean, and in fine repair, though it was a little cramped: someone over 6 feet would have found difficulty sitting on the toilet. But there was a chair and a table to sit at. The free wifi was fine once you got the password which lasted for an hour. The room was overheated, although I turned the radiator valve down to 1, and the room was habitable only by opening the window for an hour each evening, which must lead to problems with their fuel bill.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback following your recent stay with us at the Oliver Plaza Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our great customer service and found our rooms clean and comfortable which is what we aim to provide at a reasonable price.

I am sorry to read that you had some trouble with the radiator valve in your room. Please accept my sincere apology and rest assured this has been looked into.

Now I look forward to welcome you back at the Oliver Plaza hotel.

ATHENS GREECE
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I stayed in Oliver Plaza to attend World Travel Market exhibition 2012. The Earl's Court area is good and safe; the hotel is small and old. There is a lift. The furniture is average, no closet for your clothes, a pole and some hungers for the clothes. The shower is the old style stuck on the wall, very small.
The breakfast is average, no eggs.
The personnel is very good. I was impressed with Suresh who tried to help me with everything i asked for. I wanted ice and he managed to find a nearby hotel that had ice and i went there and got it.
Rachid the receptionist of the other shift was also very helpful. They are the only reason i believe one can have a good stay in this hotel. They are both helpful and make you feel they care for your problem.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor. There was no sound insulation i could hear the snoring from the next roo...
1 Thank MARGARITA3232
Mangmt, Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2012
Dear Margarita 3232,

Thank you for posting review about the Oliver Plaza Hotel following your recent with us.

Whilst I am happy to note that you were really impressed with our staff who are often recognized for their great customer service. It’s the corner stone of our service to go an extra mile to help our customers and I’m pleased that you have witnessed it.
As always I’ve passed on your kind words to my great team I have here.

It’s through listening to our customers like you we try to improve our service and rest assured the points you have raised in your review have been looked into.

Now, I sincerely hope to welcome you back at the Oliver plaza.

Kashif Imran