“Classy Elegant Hotel”

Ranked #111 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Adelaide, Australia
“Classy Elegant Hotel”
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Came to London to visit clients on business. But travelling with my partner who has never been to London so we also did a bit of site seeing after work.

This hotel is nice.....is it brilliant? Well, not in my eyes but its nice. Would I recommend it? Well, yes but to a select few.

Its a newly renovated, old English, business style hotel in a super location on the edge of London's West End, right next to Embankment tube station and truly orientated towards the well to do but then again you wouldn't be reading this unless your pockets ran deeper than most.

The rooms are tiny, elegant and wonderfully appointed with dreamy beds, sparkling bathrooms complete with recessed tv and other little things like free wifi thats actually works at a decent speed, Ipod dock with piped music and stunning home wares.

In terms of the room types I don't think its worth asking for a standard double unless you prefer to open the window to a brick wall. All the standard doubles are ridiculously tiny and run on the interior as far as we could understand. We paid 30 pounds per night to be shifted to a river view and although the room was still small it had a breath taking view.

So why don't I rate this hotel higher? It just feels too stuffy, its too formal but hey maybe you like that and so the hotel would be perfect for you.

I struggled with things like the fact that I often had to walk outside the hotel to get mobile reception (T-Mobile and 3).and thats really poor for a business style hotel. I didn't like the waiter attempting to serve me three times with white tea when what I kept saying I wanted green tea...I think as a minimum they should understand what type of teas they have!

The really outstanding parts are the Location, Service (although they constantly struggle to understand your requests because the staff are all foreigners but full points for trying because they just keep trying hard until they get what it is your looking for) and the Decor.

So overall, I rate it 91 out of 100 (I don't like the five star thing) .

I liken this hotel to fine cellared wine - its rare, mainly for the well to do and suited to those who really appreciate it.

Room Tip: Get a River view room
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Adelaidian-O
HotelLondon, Front Office Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 22 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Please let me take this opportunity to apologise to you for the incident that you encountered with the waiter, this matter has been raised with the Lounge Manager and further training will be implemented. I was also concerned to read about the mobile phone incident that you experienced. The hotel has a number of mobile phone boosters positioned around the hotel in order to provide our guests with mobile coverage. I have raised your comments with the Operations Manager and this is currently being looked into.

As you mentioned we have invested a great deal into the hotel over the last three years and have reposition ourselves firmly within the five star market. We have also just successfully finished the final phase of our Food and Beverage refurbishment on the Ground Floor and outside terrace. Bedrooms within the hotel do vary in size especially within our Deluxe Category, and all Executive Bedrooms are guaranteed to be from 24 squared Metres in size. I am delighted to read that you decided to upgrade your room to a River facing room with splendid views of the River Thames and the City.

Once again thank you for your constructive review and we certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you both back to the Royal Horseguards Hotel the next time you are in London.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 May 2011

From the moment we arrived at this hotel, I felt immediately relaxed and looked after in every way. The staff were extremely polite and helpful. The concierge ensured that there was always a taxi ready for us and the room service was flawless.

My boyfriend chose this hotel for our first weekend away and it was honestly so perfect for a couples break. There were really nice touches in the room such as the TV in the bath, ipod dock and anything one would need for a weekend in london (even an umbrella).

The location was perfect, just across from the london eye, and a quick stroll to trafalger square, also we got the boat up to Grenwich for the day and the boat practically left from outside the door. breakfast in the hotel is overpriced no doubt (24 each) however if you really want to treat yourself, it was very enjoyable as was lunch and afternoon tea.

We will definitely be staying here on our next trip to london.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 27days
Many thanks for your review on your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. It is always pleasing to receive positive comments from our guests. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your in room dining experience, I will certainly make sure that our chef receives this excellent feedback.

It is lovely to read that you both had a perfect stay with us whilst in London, and that you enjoyed the amenities inside your bedroom.

We certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you both back to the Royal Horseguards Hotel the next time you are in London.
Reviewed 5 May 2011

A perfectly located 5 star hotel. Comfortable without being ostentatious, yet lovely and personable. The fireplace in the lobby with its quietly turned sofa adds to the comfortable atmosphere. My suite was large, well-kept and inviting; and, my tub was an even greater experience as it had a tv above the faucet. Terrif daisy shower and of course, as one has come to expect from 5 stars, all of the accoutrements, and powder room necessities. The location was superb. Seriously superb: Trafalgar Sq., theater, Abbey, bridges, museums, Palace, cocktails. And after you have experienced London, you turn down this side-street and enter a quiet-and-still London, the Royal Horseguards hotel ... Genuinely lovely.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MsMobileConverg
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 18 May 2011
Many thanks for your review on your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and that we were able to cater to your needs. I will most definitely forward your positive comments to the rest you the team.
Redwood City, California
Reviewed 5 May 2011

My wife and I stayed seven nights, April 17 - 24, and had a beautiful room with a view of the Thames and London Eye, room 813. Booked through Expedia and everything was in order. The hotel location couldn't have been better. We were in walking distance to Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, and the National Gallery. The Embankment tube stop is just a half block away, which made for easy trips out to the Tower and the Tate Modern.

Booked a day tour and the concierge, Philip, was very helpful. Also booked a taxi back to the airport for us. Everything worked out fine and taxi was waiting when we checked out.

Ate in the hotel restaurant twice for dinner. Both times the food was very good.

About the only thing I can fault was the turndown service was inconsistent. We had it the first night, which was a nice surprise when we came back that night. However, that was the only time it was done. They did slip a card under the door another night saying we had the "do not disturb" on, but to call housekeeping if we wanted the service. I am sure we could have, but it was not a necessity for us.

Really appreciated the ipod adapter and free wifi along with the US plug. The flat screen TV in the bath was a fun touch.

Went to the Savoy, we have stayed at Fairmont Hotels in the US and Canada, but found the Royal Horseguards to be just as elegant. Plus the location is much better.

We will most likely be staying at the Royal Horseguards on our next trip to London.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hawaiiwaves
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will certainly share your feedback with the entire team and Philip.
I sincerely apologise for the inconsistent turndown service and I have already highlighted it with our housekeeping department. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Wadsworth, Illinois
Reviewed 1 May 2011

My friend & I went to London for the Royal Wedding and this hotel was wonderful. Very near the Embankment Underground and Charring Cross Train Station and many resturants. Most of the staff were outstanding. (There are quite a few that don't speak enough English though!) Ana, the hostess for breakfast every morning really went out of her way to be pleasant and helpful. The rooms were very well appointed (heated floors and towel racks in the bathroom) free wi-fi
and breakfast was included everyday(they had wonderful fruit.) The last day were had to leave before breakfast and Ana made sure we were served in the tea room prior to the resturant's opening. A lovely place would definately stay again. The guides on the Thames even pointed the hotel out on our cruise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Thames.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank travellover13
HotelLondon, Front Office Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 6 May 2011
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am delighted with your feedback and pleased that you enjoyed your time with us over the Royal Wedding Bank Holiday. I will be sure to share your positive comments with the rest of the team and especially with Ania who took good care of you every morning at Breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Horseguards in the future.
Monmouth Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 April 2011

stayed with my teen daughter . expecting a bit more space in the room. on the 7th floor - a bit musty smelling; free wi fi nice along with tea/coffee/bath supplies and bath goods. Concierge very nice and helpful but did not know much about VAT refund information which was a disappointment as US travelers need to know this stuff and count on concierges to help them!!
Lunch was OK. nothing special.
Housekeeping very good and getting fresh milk delivered to room a bonus and makes your evening tea in room great.
Doormen always pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade if you are I Preferred member.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. I have noted your comment about the musty smell on the 7th floor that you highlighted in your review and this is currently being addressed by our Housekeeping Department. I was sorry to hear that the Concierge were not able to answer your question on VAT refunds, I have addressed this point with all the concierge team to ensure they are now all clear on the procedure for claiming VAT back as we certainly recognise how important this is to International travellers. The hotel has also just finished an extensive refurbishment to our Food and Beverage outlets. Our new Executive Head Chef is currently rewriting the menus which will are looking to introduce from May 10th. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our in room facilities and luxury bedroom amenities. The Royal Horseguards Hotel is a member of Preferred Hotels and we will always endeavour to upgrade any I Preferred Guest showing a valid membership card. I will be sure to share your positive comments with the Housekeeping / Concierge and Doorman and I hope you think of the Royal Horseguards Hotel again for future visits.
Reviewed 23 April 2011

We've been staying at the horseguards for around 8 years ( usually for the London marathon weekend ) and it's not unusual for 20 + of us from Hayle Runners to pick this hotel because of it's proximity to the finish line . Over the past 8 years we've seen lots of changes, from when it was a 4 star hotel to when geoman took over and the hotel upgraded to 5 star .
So positives :-
The service is impeccable - there are always a lot of helpfull , polite and eager staff around who cannot do enough for you .
The hotel it's self is always very clean and tidy - there is never anything out of place .
The rooms although not huge are comfortable and well equipped right down to the phone and tv in the
bath - we had a room with a view on floor 8 (817) overlooking the thames which provided lovely views but be-warned in previous years we've paid for a room with a view and been given the forth floor where you can only see trees !
The only complaint I would have of the hotel is the breakfast - it's £24 and not as good as the £7 one you get at the travel in across the river . It's a poor buffet - the hash browns were Luke warm and rubbery - and there was not much choice . Yes you get your coffee served to you by very attentive staff from a silver coffee pot but you pay for it !!
While I'm on prices - a gin and tonic will cost you £9 plus tip ! My 3 night stay was over a thousand pounds and I only had breakfast once .
I know five star hotels arnt cheap !
Also there is one little scam they've tried to pull on us twice now . They ask you for an extra 2.5% on the bill since the v.a.t had increased but the room had been paid for in full in advance before the increase .
Overall - the staff are great - the hotel is lovely and clean and the location is excellent !
If you're on an expence account then this is the hotel for you !!

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Captaincraigy
Congratulations to all from Hayle Runners who completed the London Marathon. Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor with regards to your recent stay at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. We are delighted you have stayed with us over the years as we have transformed from a four star hotel. As you have experienced we have invested a great deal into the property over the last three years to reposition us firmly within the five star market. We have just successfully finished the final phase of our Food and Beverage refurbishment on the Ground Floor. It will be my pleasure to pass on your comments about the service that you encountered throughout your stay. I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with the Breakfast during your stay. The hotel has just finished refurbishing our Restaurant and appointed a new Executive Head Chef and as a result a new Breakfast Buffet is now in operation. The Chef is currently reviewing our A La Carte Breakfast menu and this is due to be introduced in the next few weeks. All these changes have been taking place over the last few weeks so I would like to apologise for the experience that you encountered. I would also like to mention that all bookings made before the VAT increase back in January will be honoured at the 17.5% VAT rate. Unfortunately our system is not able to process the VAT at the old rate and a correction is carried out manually. Please accept my sincere apologies that this was not the case on your final invoice. I would be most grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel on my email address Gary.Barnsley@Guoman.co.uk or do feel free to call me on my direct line 0207 839 3400 if your final invoice is still incorrect.

We certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Royal Horseguards Hotel the next time you are in London.

Gary Barnsley