“Very good but...”

Ranked #103 of 1,063 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Very good but...”
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Overall experience positive but a few issues that should be mentioned, one being the front desk:
-Nadine: front desk lady that did our checkin was friendly as a prison guard, which should be really her next job. I made the reservation two weeks prior. She had to scramble to find two rooms with twin beds. We checked in at 5:00 pm. I guess that they could be a little better organized. She did not like my comment and got frumpy when I made the remark that the rooms should have been ready; it is not that we checked in at 11:00 am. We made the reservation for two premium rooms, one with view and the other one on the back of the hotel. The one with the view was very small and with a shower (no bath) and the view was none as there was a tree blocking the view; they should specify view from November until March when the leaves are down. The room in the back was with a view on a/c units but of a larger size with a bath tub. Both rooms however were well equipped and modern with free internet service. What was 5 stars in this hotel was the floor staff. The rooms were clean, the staff coming on a regular basis to change towels and they were all very nice. Breakfast was average; nothing to write about and I would not qualify it as a 5 star breakfast. In conclusion, it could be a great hotel if they had picked a couple of nice staff at the front desk (major faux pas as the first impression is always the most important) and if they were improving their breakfast. I did not have dinner or lunch so I won't be able to judge the restaurant. The lobby and the sitting area are pleasants and nicely decorated. The value was ok for London which is one of the most expensive city in the world.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 21 July 2011
Thank you posting your comments on Tripadvisor with regards to your recent stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the short falls in service that you encountered during your check in experience. I would like to reassure you that this is not the normal behaviour of any of the staff and I am sorry that you encountered this level of service whilst dealing with Nadine – your post has been reviewed with Nadine and I have asked the Front Office Manager to personally oversee some corrective training with her to ensure a situation like this cannot reoccur again.

Your comments have been shared within the whole Front Office team as we are very aware that first impressions are very important and lasting and I’m sorry that your experience was not as positive as it should have been.

It will be my pleasure to forward your very kind comments to the housekeeping staff who attended to your every need throughout your stay.

I will also share your comments about Breakfast with the kitchen, as mentioned in previous responses this is one area that our Head Chef (Ben Purton) is addressing, we are continually looking at ways of improving our Breakfast from quality of produce to presentation and service.

I certainly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Royal Horseguards Hotel the next time you are in London overnight.

Anna-Marie Dowling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 2 July 2011

As above really. I had always wanted to stay here as the location and views are outstanding. We had a room without a river view, which was a average size for London and good quality. One set of parents had a room with a view of the river but this was much smaller, my father had a room without a view which was much larger than ours. Food was excellent and we got a good deal direct from hotels website.
If you want to spoil yourself and stay in a luxury hotel this is the place, just be careful of the variability in room sizes.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank JB30
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
I was delighted to read your very kind comments. I was glad that you enjoyed our service and especially the new menus that we have just put into place in our food and beverage outlets. The hotel is a Grade 1 listed building built in the nineteenth century and our so our bedrooms do vary in size, generally our Executive rooms are the larger rooms and also have a larger bathroom as well.

I have forwarded on your comments to the excellent team I am proud to have at the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back

Kind regards
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon for 8 nights. Due to an early flight we arrived at 8am and the hotel was able to find us a room which was fantastic. We were very tired so we slept for a short while and then we were awoken with a call from reception asking if we would like to be put in to the room we actually paid for. It seemed we were allocated another room and it was not ready so we were put in a small room. This would not have been a problem but considering we were there for 8 nights it would have been nice to get the room we paid for. We probably would have changed but we had fully unpacked our things and slept in the bed. So whilst it was great to get in to the room, we would have waited happily for a few hours to get the room we actually paid for, especially when this is quite an expensive hotel.

We certainly can't complain about the room we were in though. Whilst it was quite small, it had a little view of the Thames (I say little due to the tiny window!) and it had everything we needed and more - including a TV in the shower which was nice to watch the news and weather in the mornings. There is free WiFi in the room too which was excellent. This should be standard at all high end Hotels but that's not always the case!

We stayed during the Royal Wedding so the position of the hotel was perfect. Even without the wedding it's ideally located only a short walk from Embankment station. It's close to the London eye (200m!) and Big Ben, 10 Dowling street etc etc etc. There is a 7-eleven style mart just 100m away which was convenient too. We didn't have any meals at the Hotel as there are so many great breakfast places within walking distance and great restaurants throughout the city.

We will consider staying here again on our next trip to London although we will confirm next time that we are in the room we paid for!

Overall this is an great hotel and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Confirm room type on arrival
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jimmy747
I was delighted to read your very kind comments and also for choosing the Royal Horseguards Hotel to celebrate your honeymoon. I was happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you upon your early arrival into London, and that you managed to catch that all important few hours sleep in the morning. As you mentioned in your review the hotel is located ideally for a number of the main attractions in London – Westminster Abbey / Houses of Parliament / South Bank – London Eye only to name a few….

The amenities within our bedrooms are standard throughout all of our room categories. And it is lovely to hear that you enjoyed watching the TV in the bathroom! Wifi is complimentary in all of our bedrooms and is extremely easy and user friendly to use.

I was sorry to hear that you were not allocated your original room type upon your arrival, and I understand that once your have unpacked the last thing you want to be doing on your honeymoon is re-packing and moving rooms. In order to make amends please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel the next time you are in London over night and I will happily offer you a complementary upgrade on your next bedroom booking.

london
Reviewed 27 June 2011

The hotel was chosen to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary, some where special on our budget, in a central location to our plans.

We had a disabled accessible room which was large and beautifully presented, a luxurious well equipped bathroom, although having fitted a wet room type shower, it would have been much safer to have an anti slip floor over the entire area rather than just the shower section, swinging sideways on the shower seat to stand up for me with balancing problems it became a skating rink as water didn't stay contained. The aforementioned emergency cord was invisible if I had fallen.

The greatest disappointment was not having a choice of accessible room, having found ourselves in an internal room with no direct sunlight and the continued vibration and noise of the hotels air conditioning pipes outside our frosted windows. (The extremely informative accessibility statement does not mention only internal rooms - I wonder why !) I would willingly paid for an upgrade to an accessible river view room even if I could only see green trees and sky. Why are accessible rooms only a certain standard? Do disabled people not deserve choice in a 281 bed 5 star hotel?

The customer service and public service areas were excellent after you negotiated the ramp, pre warned in the accessibility statement , there was no doubt assistance was required, my extremely fit husband in a very light weight wheelchair couldn't manage it. After every use, it was taken away, and so each time we needed to get the attention of the concierge to get it from their storeroom, not all knew how to safely put it on the steps, all in all not the safest of accessible ramps. If HRH the Prince of Wales, can add modern stair lifts in Clarence House, a listed building. I hope the "approved Permanent Access Solution" can be found in the near future. Where there is a will there is a way!

Finally having re read the Accessibility statement on the hotels website I noted we should have been asked to complete a Personal Evacuation Plan Questionnaire on arrival . Important as neither of us could have used the stairs! In fact Reception was not very disability aware or that helpful.

We regularly stay in London, this was a change from our regular hotel of similar standard, would we come back..If we were able bodied, the answer would be a resounding yes, but until there is choice in bedrooms and a safer and inclusive way of negotiating those steps.... our answer would be sadly no.

Room Tip: Check when booking
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your very constructive feed back with regard to your recent stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel.

The hotel is a Grade 2 listed building that was built in 1887 so as a result of dealing with a building that old there is very little consistency in the size and shape of our rooms. As a result of this when the hotel underwent it’s most recent renovation it was decided to locate our 4 Accessible bedrooms internally as they are the largest bedrooms within the hotel. The hotel also has a number of Sensory Rooms which are located on the 1st floor and cover a wider range of bedroom categories including rooms facing the River Thames. These rooms have been specifically designed to assist our guests with the comfort and ease required, but unfortunately they are not compatible for wheelchair users.

I have taken note of your comments with regard to the bathroom and in particular the anti slip floor in our Accessible bathrooms and I will review with our maintenance team how we can address and change this floor surface.

With regard to the steps leading from the Lobby towards the Elevators – as you may have read in previous posts we have recently renovated the ground floor areas of the hotel and I am currently in the process of reviewing the possibility of installing a lift in the restaurant entrance which would negate the need for the ramp to be constantly put in place when wanting to enter or exit the hotel.

All of our staff are fully trained in awareness of the disability laws under the equality act – but I do realize that despite that we have not fulfilled a number of your expectations – I have ensured that all the concierge staff have been re-trained in the correct use of the ramp. Due to space limitations it is not possible to leave the ramp out permanently but Front of House team are always on hand 24/7 in order to assist any guests who need assistance with the stairs.

I have also personally overseen that the Front Office Manager has carried out corrective training to ensure all the reception team are aware of the procedures with regard to the Personal Evacuation Plan Questionnaire on arrival. I can assure you that I have checked our records and the hotel did have you listed down on our Fire Board and in the Duty Manager Log Book throughout your stay and assistance would have been on hand immediately for you, if a fire evacuation had occurred.

I am delighted to hear that the customer service and public areas that you encountered throughout your stay were to an excellent level.

Please do accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls you encountered during your stay and I would like to thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review on Trip Advisor - I can assure you I have followed up all the points you have raised and I do hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Valencia, CA
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Recently stayed there with my wife for 5 nights for vacation.

Pros:
1. Location- This hotel is centrally located to pretty much all of the main attractions that London has to offer. Hotel guests are within a 3-4 minute walk to the Embankment Station where you can take the tube to literally anywhere in London! My wife and I mixed the tube with walking as we liked to get "some" exercise while on vacation. The hotel is walking distance (about 5 minutes or so) to the London Eye and the Queen´s Walk as well as Big Ben and the Buckingham Palace.
2. The room we had was large for London standards. We arrived and the roome was clean. The shower and shower head were warm welcomes after a long day sightseeing.
3. This hotel is classy! The main entrance is delightfully decorated and so are the rooms. There was a TV in the main guest room and one ni the bathroom. The room even had bathroom floor warmers and a heated towel rack!
4. Awesome service- The concierge was very helpful with his/her recommendations! The included wifi in the hotel worked well in the lobby and the room. Connections were easy and fast using my iphone 4 and ipad 2.

Cons:
1. The connection speeds at the business desks located in the lobby were painfully slow...and there were only two PCs available. This is a minor gripe since I used wifi in the room. This only became a problem when I had to print out something to take with me. In those occasions, I had to email what I wanted printed to the concierge and he would print it for me. The PC with the printer never worked while I was there.

This a VERY small gripe to an otherwise wonderful stay at The Royal Horseguards. I would have zero hesitation recommending this hotel to a friend.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with a view of the Thames
1 Thank Joey B
Many thanks for your positive feedback about your recent stay at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your bedroom and all the amenities inside, as mentioned on previous tripadvisor responses all bedrooms / bathrooms are equipped with underfloor heating and heated towel rails, television are also standard in all bedrooms and bathrooms.

I have passed on your kind words to our Concierge team and I know that they will be thrilled that you enjoyed all of their recommendations.

With regard to the Internet Kiosk , we did experience a few problems with our internet connectivity and connections during your stay, which BT Openzone our internet provider were doing their utmost to resolve but it unfortunately it took longer than we had originally anticipated but I do understand and apologise for the inconvenience this caused you when trying to print out your documents .

I do hope you have the opportunity to visit us again very soon.

Swindon
Reviewed 22 June 2011

This was our third stay at RH, the first was in a small room with a river view, the second in a much better room, again with a river view and this one in a good room, but without the view and so a bit of an anti-climax.

We arrived early and as we were heading off to the Royal Academy left our luggage with the concierge. On our return we completed check in and were pleased to see that the luggage was already in our room, although as mentioned the lack of view from the room was a bit disappointing.

We returned from the theatre to have a late supper in the lounge. This area was being renovated last time we stayed and they have done an excellent job. The food was very good quality, as was the wine, although as one would expect in a hotel of this quality, reasonably expensive, but the surroundings do justify it to some extent.

We slept reasonably well, the room was quiet, although it took me a minute or two to realise that the wardrobe (which was very small so it was good we were only staying one night) kept on opening as a coat was caught in the gap resulting in a flood of light across the room.

Breakfast is served in very pleasant surroundings in the restaurant, the choice was very good and service good too. However one little grumble, a few of the cooked items were only lukewarm, rather than hot. Perhaps the hotel do need to look at how they keep these items hot in future.

Before heading home we again had lunch in the lounge and like the previous evening,the food and wine was good.

Overall a pleasant stay, not quite as good as the previous one, but quite acceptable.

Did not trouble the concierge to get taxis, the two we needed we managed to get quite quickly on Horseguards Avenue.

While in London enjoyed the RA summer exhibition, Much ado about nothing, The Royal Mews - very entertaining guided tour from Simon and the Queens Gallery. A busy but enjoyable short break.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was a disappointed to hear that your 3rd stay was not as pleasant as your first two. The hotel has a number of room categories available to book, in order to guarantee a room facing the River Thames I would strongly advise you to book a room in this category when making your reservation. The front desk will always try to accommodate your request at the point of check in, but this is strictly down to the hotels availability on the day.

Our new Executive Head Chef Ben Purton has been working on our new menus and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your supper in the lounge and also breakfast in the restaurant – I have ensured that your kind comments have been passed onto the team.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back for a 4th stay which is hopefully in the near future.

Lecco, Italy
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We booked 3 rooms for a long week-end one was booked as superior with a direct view at the london-eye and one we had a free upgrade.
The last room was a single with view inside the building.
The room were elegant and warm. It's luxury hotel without the etiquette and the feeling is comfortable and welcoming.
The price is adequate for such class.
The breakfast is reach and served in a quite atmosphere.
Location is just the best you can get. In front at the london eye at few meters form Trafalgare and Westminster, just in front of the horse guard.
Very good pick but not for all wallets.

Room Tip: ask for london eye view
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Mali69
Thank You for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us. I am absolutely thrilled we were able to accommodate you in bedrooms with wonderful views of the London Eye and the River Thames. I am also glad that we lived up to your expectations. I will most definitely pass your comments to the team here. I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not so distant future.

Kind Regards,