“Lovely understated elegant Hotel”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #114 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I really was surprised with The Royal Horseguards. With a non-distinct front, the entrance is presented by 2 beautiful wooden doors with glass and brass. Inside is subtle elegance. There isn't any overpowering feeling of grandeur which some Hotels come across as OTT.

To the left is a small efficient reception desk and registration and check-in was quick and painless. Room wasn't ready on our arrival at 1400hrs, but were advised check-in was at 1500hrs (which was different to our advice on booking - possible miscommunication as we booked through booking.com). Nontheless we were booked into an Executive Double, but were upgrade to an Executive King. Staff always friendly and helpful.

The lifts were down a little passageway, which we missed but were quickly redirected by the bell boy.

The room was much better than what I have recently experienced in London by a 4 or 5 star hotel for the price. The room was fresh and clean (white glove clean) and decor had a warm yet clean feel, with a little tech.... built in iPod dock, Computer connections and Plasma TV. Wifi is free. The bathrooms has heated floors and towel rails, twin sinks, a shower cubicle and a bath.

Only disappointing moment (and it was a small moment), was not being able to use Australian plugs, despite the room catering for other countries and also Room Keeping not stocking an adapter....a very minor point.

If I had to choose again, I would definitely put The Royal Horseguards high on the list for a 5 Star hotel to return. I am fairly sure the Executive Double would be a smaller version of the Executive King and would not disappoint.

I believe Room Service was 24hrs but did not try it out, nor did I try the Hotels F&B outlets.

Reviewed 9 July 2011

I stay in London 30-40 nights a year for business, and at times my wife can join me. This was my third stay at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. In room 540 (executive king on the river) the first night's stay, experienced extremely loud music. The first response by the front desk was denial of any knowledge of music in the hotel. Only with repeated calls and asking a staff member to come to the room did a customer service staff explain that there was a function with a live band until 1 AM. Eventually we were move to a smaller room (313) at about 11 PM, and offered a 20% discount on one nights stay (no really a help since my firm is paying for my travel). In the morning we were moved back to an executive king on the river (320), but a room that was billed as quiet. As I write this note, I can hear tonight's live band (11 PM) that will again play until 1 AM. All of this is reminiscent of another night last year with very loud music and the staff denying that it was from the hotel.

I will be back at the Intercontinental for my next trip. If you are keen on the location of the Horseguard's, I recommend the Corinthia, a new hotel that has open across the street (Whitehall Place)

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. Then ask again.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank EtnaDavid
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Great location but very disappointing stay. Service poor, room size small, bathroom poor a trickle of a shower. Checking out slow and really put a finish on a very disappointing stay. Would not recommend to anyone, there are lots better in London.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank hellyHelly
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a feedback regarding you recent stay at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to the shower leak in your room. The Maintenance team have rectified the problem that you encountered with your shower. Our rooms do vary in size based on the room categories which are Deluxe, Executive, Junior Suites and Suites. I would also like to apologise for your delay in your check-out experience. I will make certain that the Express Check-Out form which is on the guest key card wallet is highlighted at check-in in future as this will most definitely reduce queues at the Reception Desk. I do hope that your experience will not deter you from returning to the hotel and if you do decide to stay with us again please contact my office directly on 002074510319 and allow me to offer you a complimentary upgrade to an Executive King Bedroom on the River Side for your next visit as a gesture of making amends.

I sincerely hope we do have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and restore your confidence in our ability to provide a five star experience.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 2 July 2011

Overall experience positive but a few issues that should be mentioned, one being the front desk:
-Nadine: front desk lady that did our checkin was friendly as a prison guard, which should be really her next job. I made the reservation two weeks prior. She had to scramble to find two rooms with twin beds. We checked in at 5:00 pm. I guess that they could be a little better organized. She did not like my comment and got frumpy when I made the remark that the rooms should have been ready; it is not that we checked in at 11:00 am. We made the reservation for two premium rooms, one with view and the other one on the back of the hotel. The one with the view was very small and with a shower (no bath) and the view was none as there was a tree blocking the view; they should specify view from November until March when the leaves are down. The room in the back was with a view on a/c units but of a larger size with a bath tub. Both rooms however were well equipped and modern with free internet service. What was 5 stars in this hotel was the floor staff. The rooms were clean, the staff coming on a regular basis to change towels and they were all very nice. Breakfast was average; nothing to write about and I would not qualify it as a 5 star breakfast. In conclusion, it could be a great hotel if they had picked a couple of nice staff at the front desk (major faux pas as the first impression is always the most important) and if they were improving their breakfast. I did not have dinner or lunch so I won't be able to judge the restaurant. The lobby and the sitting area are pleasants and nicely decorated. The value was ok for London which is one of the most expensive city in the world.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Thank you posting your comments on Tripadvisor with regards to your recent stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the short falls in service that you encountered during your check in experience. I would like to reassure you that this is not the normal behaviour of any of the staff and I am sorry that you encountered this level of service whilst dealing with Nadine – your post has been reviewed with Nadine and I have asked the Front Office Manager to personally oversee some corrective training with her to ensure a situation like this cannot reoccur again.

Your comments have been shared within the whole Front Office team as we are very aware that first impressions are very important and lasting and I’m sorry that your experience was not as positive as it should have been.

It will be my pleasure to forward your very kind comments to the housekeeping staff who attended to your every need throughout your stay.

I will also share your comments about Breakfast with the kitchen, as mentioned in previous responses this is one area that our Head Chef (Ben Purton) is addressing, we are continually looking at ways of improving our Breakfast from quality of produce to presentation and service.

I certainly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Royal Horseguards Hotel the next time you are in London overnight.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 2 July 2011

As above really. I had always wanted to stay here as the location and views are outstanding. We had a room without a river view, which was a average size for London and good quality. One set of parents had a room with a view of the river but this was much smaller, my father had a room without a view which was much larger than ours. Food was excellent and we got a good deal direct from hotels website.
If you want to spoil yourself and stay in a luxury hotel this is the place, just be careful of the variability in room sizes.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank JB30
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

I was delighted to read your very kind comments. I was glad that you enjoyed our service and especially the new menus that we have just put into place in our food and beverage outlets. The hotel is a Grade 1 listed building built in the nineteenth century and our so our bedrooms do vary in size, generally our Executive rooms are the larger rooms and also have a larger bathroom as well.

I have forwarded on your comments to the excellent team I am proud to have at the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back

Kind regards

Reviewed 30 June 2011

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon for 8 nights. Due to an early flight we arrived at 8am and the hotel was able to find us a room which was fantastic. We were very tired so we slept for a short while and then we were awoken with a call from reception asking if we would like to be put in to the room we actually paid for. It seemed we were allocated another room and it was not ready so we were put in a small room. This would not have been a problem but considering we were there for 8 nights it would have been nice to get the room we paid for. We probably would have changed but we had fully unpacked our things and slept in the bed. So whilst it was great to get in to the room, we would have waited happily for a few hours to get the room we actually paid for, especially when this is quite an expensive hotel.

We certainly can't complain about the room we were in though. Whilst it was quite small, it had a little view of the Thames (I say little due to the tiny window!) and it had everything we needed and more - including a TV in the shower which was nice to watch the news and weather in the mornings. There is free WiFi in the room too which was excellent. This should be standard at all high end Hotels but that's not always the case!

We stayed during the Royal Wedding so the position of the hotel was perfect. Even without the wedding it's ideally located only a short walk from Embankment station. It's close to the London eye (200m!) and Big Ben, 10 Dowling street etc etc etc. There is a 7-eleven style mart just 100m away which was convenient too. We didn't have any meals at the Hotel as there are so many great breakfast places within walking distance and great restaurants throughout the city.

We will consider staying here again on our next trip to London although we will confirm next time that we are in the room we paid for!

Overall this is an great hotel and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Confirm room type on arrival
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jimmy747

I was delighted to read your very kind comments and also for choosing the Royal Horseguards Hotel to celebrate your honeymoon. I was happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you upon your early arrival into London, and that you managed to catch that all important few hours sleep in the morning. As you mentioned in your review the hotel is located ideally for a number of the main attractions in London – Westminster Abbey / Houses of Parliament / South Bank – London Eye only to name a few….

The amenities within our bedrooms are standard throughout all of our room categories. And it is lovely to hear that you enjoyed watching the TV in the bathroom! Wifi is complimentary in all of our bedrooms and is extremely easy and user friendly to use.

I was sorry to hear that you were not allocated your original room type upon your arrival, and I understand that once your have unpacked the last thing you want to be doing on your honeymoon is re-packing and moving rooms. In order to make amends please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel the next time you are in London over night and I will happily offer you a complementary upgrade on your next bedroom booking.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 27 June 2011

The hotel was chosen to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary, some where special on our budget, in a central location to our plans.

We had a disabled accessible room which was large and beautifully presented, a luxurious well equipped bathroom, although having fitted a wet room type shower, it would have been much safer to have an anti slip floor over the entire area rather than just the shower section, swinging sideways on the shower seat to stand up for me with balancing problems it became a skating rink as water didn't stay contained. The aforementioned emergency cord was invisible if I had fallen.

The greatest disappointment was not having a choice of accessible room, having found ourselves in an internal room with no direct sunlight and the continued vibration and noise of the hotels air conditioning pipes outside our frosted windows. (The extremely informative accessibility statement does not mention only internal rooms - I wonder why !) I would willingly paid for an upgrade to an accessible river view room even if I could only see green trees and sky. Why are accessible rooms only a certain standard? Do disabled people not deserve choice in a 281 bed 5 star hotel?

The customer service and public service areas were excellent after you negotiated the ramp, pre warned in the accessibility statement , there was no doubt assistance was required, my extremely fit husband in a very light weight wheelchair couldn't manage it. After every use, it was taken away, and so each time we needed to get the attention of the concierge to get it from their storeroom, not all knew how to safely put it on the steps, all in all not the safest of accessible ramps. If HRH the Prince of Wales, can add modern stair lifts in Clarence House, a listed building. I hope the "approved Permanent Access Solution" can be found in the near future. Where there is a will there is a way!

Finally having re read the Accessibility statement on the hotels website I noted we should have been asked to complete a Personal Evacuation Plan Questionnaire on arrival . Important as neither of us could have used the stairs! In fact Reception was not very disability aware or that helpful.

We regularly stay in London, this was a change from our regular hotel of similar standard, would we come back..If we were able bodied, the answer would be a resounding yes, but until there is choice in bedrooms and a safer and inclusive way of negotiating those steps.... our answer would be sadly no.

Room Tip: Check when booking
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very constructive feed back with regard to your recent stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel.

The hotel is a Grade 2 listed building that was built in 1887 so as a result of dealing with a building that old there is very little consistency in the size and shape of our rooms. As a result of this when the hotel underwent it’s most recent renovation it was decided to locate our 4 Accessible bedrooms internally as they are the largest bedrooms within the hotel. The hotel also has a number of Sensory Rooms which are located on the 1st floor and cover a wider range of bedroom categories including rooms facing the River Thames. These rooms have been specifically designed to assist our guests with the comfort and ease required, but unfortunately they are not compatible for wheelchair users.

I have taken note of your comments with regard to the bathroom and in particular the anti slip floor in our Accessible bathrooms and I will review with our maintenance team how we can address and change this floor surface.

With regard to the steps leading from the Lobby towards the Elevators – as you may have read in previous posts we have recently renovated the ground floor areas of the hotel and I am currently in the process of reviewing the possibility of installing a lift in the restaurant entrance which would negate the need for the ramp to be constantly put in place when wanting to enter or exit the hotel.

All of our staff are fully trained in awareness of the disability laws under the equality act – but I do realize that despite that we have not fulfilled a number of your expectations – I have ensured that all the concierge staff have been re-trained in the correct use of the ramp. Due to space limitations it is not possible to leave the ramp out permanently but Front of House team are always on hand 24/7 in order to assist any guests who need assistance with the stairs.

I have also personally overseen that the Front Office Manager has carried out corrective training to ensure all the reception team are aware of the procedures with regard to the Personal Evacuation Plan Questionnaire on arrival. I can assure you that I have checked our records and the hotel did have you listed down on our Fire Board and in the Duty Manager Log Book throughout your stay and assistance would have been on hand immediately for you, if a fire evacuation had occurred.

I am delighted to hear that the customer service and public areas that you encountered throughout your stay were to an excellent level.

Please do accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls you encountered during your stay and I would like to thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review on Trip Advisor - I can assure you I have followed up all the points you have raised and I do hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Kind Regards,