“A Word of Warning”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #115 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Please read this if you are thinking of purchasing a package at Royal Horseguards from FamilyGetaway.com or another discount travel website.

I purchased a 3-night package at Royal Horseguards from a discount travel website, FamilyGetaway.com (a sister company to LuxuryLink.com) in September 2011. I paid - in full - over $1,600 two months before my trip for two "Deluxe Double" rooms, each with a double bed per room. I received an email from FamilyGetaway confirming these two specific rooms and bed sizes for my dates.

Three nights before my arrival, I called Royal Horseguards to reconfirm. They could only find a reservation for one "Standard" room, so I called FamilyGetaway to follow up. FamilyGetaway.com discovered that while they were able to find the two rooms for my reservation, Royal Horseguards had downgraded us to two Standard Twin rooms, each with a pair of twin beds. (Smaller beds, smaller living space, less amenities, etc.)

This surprised me because 1) I paid in full two months earlier; 2) the hotel's reservation website had availability for Double Deluxe rooms for my dates; 3) there are 110 Deluxe Double rooms vs. only 9 Standard Twin rooms, so there should have been plenty of available inventory.

Royal Horseguards does not honor its discounted room clients. What kind of business establishment treats potential customers with such disregard?

FamilyGetaway.com was not able to resolve this issue for me - they could not get me the two Double Deluxe rooms that I paid for. My choices were to accept the downgraded Twin rooms or get a last-minute refund (after they already held my $1600 already for two months). Two nights before my departure, I had to find another place to stay in London. Needless to say, this was extremely stressful.

I did get a refund and a $100 "credit" from FamilyGetaways, but I will never use it.

I am a frequent traveler who stays in nice hotels perhaps 30 nights per year. This is one of the most frustrating and disappointing travel experiences I have had. I just wanted to warn those who are considering this hotel and/or FamilyGetaway.com.

Royal Horseguards/FamilyGetaway.com said the hotel had the right to change the reservation, HOWEVER I paid in full in advance to hold my rooms and there was availability for the Double Deluxe rooms. While it may not techically have been illegal, it certainly was unethical and unacceptable.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
20  Thank ABCnyc
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

May I thank you for taking the time to post your detailed comments about booking via the website familygetaway.com

I was indeed most concerned to read about your experience, and I have asked our Reservations Manager to investigate this situation further from our side. From what it appears, there was obviously some mis- communication between the travel agent and us, and I wish we could have discussed it further with you before you chose to cancel your reservation, as it is always our intension to ensure our guest expectations are being met if not exceeded.

I very much regret to hear about the situation you found yourself in, and I can only begin to imagine the stress and inconvenience this cause to both you and your family. I do hope you would reconsider and choose to reserve a room with us again in the future, thus giving us the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel. If you do decide to change your mind, please do feel free to contact us directly so that we can personally take care of your reservation.

There are newer reviews for The Royal Horseguards

Reviewed 27 December 2011

I stayed here as a treat for my wife as we now live in Australia so going back to London is a special moment. It didnt disappoint, like all London hotels it is a bit pretentious and the normal rates are ridiculous but the character and location and something else.
Room was immaculate and the hotel felt so London. Would recommend to anyone and if you go on a weekend it is half the weekday prices. Rooms of course are small but bathroom, view from the window, park out the front all gave it the right feel.

Room Tip: Get one facing the river, even if the trees are covered in leaves it is lovely to look out on the pa...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

I am delighted to learn that you had such a memorable stay with us, and that London has a special place in your heart. The building that the hotel is part of is so beautiful, and I am pleased you though we have manage to capture the feel for London within the character of hotel.

We do hope that you decide to return to us in the future, and would of course recommend our fabulous river view of the Thames and infamous London Eye.

Reviewed 23 December 2011

I went to spend my wife's birthday, booked for high tea. We had an excellent quality time with a touch of personalized service and style.

4  Thank Tirthankar
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

It gives me great pleasure to hear that the service you received was personalised and played a big part in making your experience wonderful, this will definitely be shared with the entire team.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

A great experience during our recent business stay.

An overall excellent rating. Beautiful rooms spotless clean, great service at all departments and great breakfast too.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank ElinorIlai

It’s great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Royal Horseguards, and most of all that the service you received overall was excellent, I am sure the team will be very proud to read your wonderful review.

Hopefully the next time you visit us, you will be able to include a little leisure time as well as business.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

We spent 7 nights at Royal Horseguards and couldn't have been happier with the choice. We stayed in a king deluxe room, and although we didn't have the river view, it really didn't matter. This hotel really is quintessential British - the doormen, the decor, the service, the room - all of could not be mistake for anything but English. The location was perfect, we walked everywhere and if you did want to go a little further then the hotel is right next to Embankment underground. This was an experience that I would highly recommend to anyone who is travelling to London and who is looking for a little luxury to come back to at the end of the day.

Room Tip: We booked online and got a fabulous rate - when we arrived at the hotel we were offered an upgrade a...
3  Thank kgreenwood

I am delighted to read this fantastic review regarding your stay with us at The Royal Horseguards. As you say, our location is just great if you are here to visit the sights of London town. The entire team is so proud to hear that you would recommend us as the perfect place to stay while visiting the city.

We do try to match the needs and expectations of our guests with our rooms, while trying to remember our heritage. It is great to hear that you took the opportunity to upgrade your room on arrival, but to avoid disappointment we highly recommend you do this at the time of booking.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

Everything about this hotel is superb, from it's location next to the Thames, to it's beautifully elegant decor. We found the staff here to be attentive & efficient, making sure that our stay was most enjoyable. Breakfast here is very good, as was the supper we enjoyed in the hotel's One Twenty One Two restaurant. All in all a relaxing break in wonderful surroundings.

2  Thank Louise W

Many thanks for your recent review of The Royal Horseguards Hotel. The hotels location is truly amazing, and so close to many of London’s top attractions. I was delighted to read your comments about decor and the breakfast, but most of all about our friendly staff. I will be sure to share your comments with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

I always had my eye on this beautiful looking building and was pleased to discover it was a hotel! I pre-booked a Deluxe Double room, as a winter offer (50% off) on the hotel website. Once we were checked in, turned out the heating was faulty in the room and 20mins later we were offered another room - a free upgrade to a Executive King. Wow! Similar sort of luxury decor as the double but much more space and a bigger bathroom. There was complimentary Elemis Toilettries (we got body lotion on request), even a little box with toothbrush; shaving blade/cream; comb; needle and thread...
We had breakfast served in our room, theres a £10 tray charge but worth the experience of eating privately.
Our stay was made more worthwhile due to the upgrade. It was our first experience of a 5* hotel and felt amazing. All the little touches makes a difference inc slippers, bathrobe, tea/coffee in room. I would love to visit again and think a room with a view would've made our stay magical!! Definitely recommend this hotel and worth splashing out the extra for the Executive King!

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank saziz

I was delighted to read your kind words about your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards. I am thrilled to hear you experienced exceptional service levels throughout the hotel during your stay. I do apologise about the faulty heating in your room upon your arrival, but I was happy to hear how quickly the issue was resolved. We hope we have anticipated our guests requirements in the amenities and facilities in our rooms, and breakfast in your room is always a special treat.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon, so you can indulge in more of our 5 star service, while with any luck treating yourself to the river view next time.

Anna Dowling