“Brilliant”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #117 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Stayed here in December and have already booked again for February. The room was fantastic and lovely and quiet for the price (lastminute.com). Staff were brilliant and catered for my every need. What more can I say that hasn't been said before. Roll on February!!!

Room Tip: As for a view over the Thames.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2012

Thank you very much for your wonderful review regarding your stay with us at The Royal Horseguards. It is a delight to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and makes us all feel so very proud.

It will be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel in February

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 8 January 2012

To be honest I hadn't heard of this hotel before, so when I looked it up I was surprised to see it was so highly rated - in the Top 50 of over 1000 hotels in the capital. So I guess 'hidden gem' is applicable here. It really is fantastic, the reviews are right. Two minutes walk from Embankment tube station and as the doors are opened for you by polite, smiling staff, you know you're in for a treat. The hotel sparkles and shines from the moment you walk in. It's opulent without being old fashioned and modern without trying too hard to be trendy.

I had a double room on the 8th floor, which turned out to be bigger than the first flat I lived in when I resided in this city! The room was absolutely spotless, decorated and furnished to a very high standard. I didn't have a view (except of a wall) but that never bothers me, and I didn't expect it for the unbelievably good deal I got.

I was in London for a social gathering that evening, and I had a few shops I wanted to go to, but when I went out again I found myself rushing to do what I needed to do because I wanted to get back and make the most of the room while I had it! So a nice soak in the bath whilst I watched TV was a highlight for me.

The location of this hotel is superb - being so close to Embankment you have access to the Northern, Bakerloo and District & Circle lines. In a few stops you can be in the middle of the city and attractions. If the weather is right, it's easily walkable too, even from somewhere like Bond Street.

In short, it's the best hotel I've stayed in in London, and will be my first choice from now on.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed at the Royal Horseguards Hotel for 3 nights between Christmas and New Years. The hotel came highly rated on Trip Advisor and had a seasonal special so we thought that we would give it a shot. The room was identical to what was shown on the website and our request for a "river view" was accepted as we were set on the 5ht floor overlooking the Thames and the London eye. The room was well appointed , clean and very comfortable. We were looking for a central location where you could easily walk to many of the sites. Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square Picad. Circus and many other sites were all within a 15 min walk.

1  Thank Gerry B
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

It is fantastic to read your comments about your 3 night stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and it was especially gratifying to read that the service you experienced was great.

You are right, our location is fantastic. There is so much to see and do in the local area, and all within walking distance! I also am delighted to read that you would pick us over any other hotel when returning to London, so we look forward for you to becoming a regular guest with us!

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

I found a fantastic rate for this hotel, well below what it should be (weekend away to see Cirque Du Soliel at the RAH with my neice). We were greeted by lovely doormen and helpful reception staff who told us that we had been upgraded to an executive twin room. Our room wasnt ready (arrived at 2.30) so we went for a walk leaving our luggage (which was put in a room behind a desk that was staffed). The Embankment which is near, is full of shops and eateries (including Costa and Starbucks and others such as a Japenese fast food shop). Went back to the hotel and was given card keys for the room, 830 on the eighth floor. Walked past the lifts a couple of times as they are not well sign posted. Everything is lovely and clean and very up to date. As we walked to our rooms we saw that the "do not disturb" and "make up the room" signs are on the outside of the room displayed electronically on the wall (which is neat because anyone can change a paper sign over!!)
Our twin room view was awesome, looking directly out over the Thames to the London Eye. The room itself was decorated in burgandy and taupe with lots of nice little touches, an umbrella in the room, a coffee perculator, slippers, dressing gown and loads of toiletres in the bathroom which had underfloor heating and although we didnt use it, a plasma tv in the bathroom. Took a while to sus out the lighting but it was OK in the end.
Beds were nice and comfy and room temperature can be to your liking by the electronically controlled room temperature controls. ipod docking stations also in the room
We were offered breakfast at a reduced rate of £19 but there are so many cafes within short walking distance that this was not an option for us.
The only thing I could ask as an improvement would be some herbal teas to go along with the other tea and coffee choices in the room - apart from that I would definately stay here again (if I could get the same great rate!!)

Room Tip: Rooms 830 - twin - fantastic view
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank aimee-Jay

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. It great to hear that you found your room comfortable and that you appreciated the little touches we put in to try to make our guests feel cared for and looked after. Our river view rooms do have fantastic vistas of the London Eye and the skyline of London, and it great to hear that we were able to upgrade you to this room type. But to avoid disappointment in the future, reserve it in advance if you can as this category of room is always very popular especially in high season months.

I am pleased to hear that you found our location so convenient and were able to make full use of the local area. But next time you really should really try our breakfast. It offers such a wide range of pasties, cheeses, fruits, cereals and that before we get to the cooked English breakfast selection!!! So the next time you come back to us, I hope you will give it a try.

We look forward to see you again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 January 2012

We’re back from our Christmas trip to London and, as promised, I’m returning to TripAdvisor to report on our experience at Royal Horseguards. In a word: outstanding. The hotel was elegant without being pretentious, the restaurant and lounge were exceptional, and the overall service was incomparable. Most importantly, the bed was very comfortable, the room was quiet, and the bathroom was great (especially the heated tile floor). The hotel’s location in central London was terrific, too. There are two tube stations very near the hotel (Embankment and Charing Cross), which was especially nice at the end of the day. The West End, Covent Garden, London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Westminster, etc. are within very easy walking distance. If you’re looking for somewhere to stay in London and can afford the Royal Horseguards, don’t look anywhere else. And if we ever return to London, we’ll definitely stay there again.

If you’re interested in detail information, here it is:

The images of the hotel on its website are accurate (for those of you who’ve been burned by learning that the reality of a hotel differs vastly from its website images). The lobby fireplace had a fire every day, which was warm and welcoming after being out in the cold (and often rainy) day.

We had an Executive Double (an upgrade from the room we booked through the hotel’s website), which was roomy by U.K/European standards. The room was exactly what you’d expect from a 5-star hotel (soft linens, marble tile, en suite bathroom, elegantly decorated, etc.) Two especially nice features were the U.S.-style electrical outlet and the free WiFi. There was only one U.S.-style outlet, though, so you still need an electrical adaptor/converter. Also, the hair dryer – strangely – was hard-wired in the room rather than the bathroom. Our room was on the Whitehall side (as opposed to the Thames side), and was very quiet. We rarely heard neighboring guests, either.

The food and service was outstanding. We included breakfast in our room rate, so we had breakfast every morning in the hotel. The buffet had a wide variety of foods and it was really delicious. I managed to avoid the pastries until the last day, and a good thing, too. If I’d known they were that good I’d have eaten them every day! The service was amazing. Everyone was friendly, attentive, and accommodating. We were especially taken by Hyusein (sp?) and Pauline, both of whom were so friendly. Traveling to another city is both exhilarating and stressful, but by our second day we looked forward to seeing Hyusein’s and Pauline’s friendly faces.

We had a 5-course Christmas Dinner at the One Twenty One Two restaurant, which was absolutely delicious. It was especially nice compared to dinner the night before (Christmas Eve) across the street at Massimo’s in the Corinthia hotel. Let’s just say that dining at One Twenty One Two was a significantly more positive experience regarding both the food and service. My husband visited the Equus bar nearly every evening and was impressed by the beer selection and the bar manager (whose name he didn’t learn). We visited the lounge twice and, as usual, the service and food was very good.

Finally, both concierges were superior. We worked with Philip mostly, who recommended several excellent restaurants and made reservations for us. He even walked us down the street one night to make certain we headed in the right direction!

I’ve exhausted my supply of positive adjectives to describe our experience at the Royal Horseguards, and I still feel like I haven’t adequately captured how positive it was. Service, food, accommodations, and location were absolutely top-notch.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on Whitehall side, which will likely be quieter
1  Thank brinssl
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We checked in to this hotel on 23rd December for four nights. I had opted for one of the deluxe rooms with view, facing the Thames. When we arrived at the hotel we were warmly greeted and shown to our room by the guest relations manager - she was charming, and explained the workings of the room to us.

We had never been away from home at Christmas, so I had asked the hotel if they could do something to the room to give it a Christmas'sy feel - well, on arrival I was delighted to see a real Christmas tree, fully decorated and lit up as we entered the room. In addition they had placed some nice Christmas touches around the room. This instantly made the room more homely - not like a typical hotel bedroom at all.

The room was spacious, well fitted, with a huge comfortable bed. The bathroom, had a nice bath, separate shower enclosure, heated floor and a television set into the wall at the end of the bath! - all together a very nice room indeed.

My only niggle was with the wardrobe - not a great deal of hanging space, mainly due to the ironing board and iron contained within, and the design of the drawers, with the safe on top taking up almost half the hanging rail. It was impossible to hang even shirts above this drawer/safe area without creasing them - but we coped, as it was only four days.

Two large double doored windows fronted the room with wonderful views across the Thames to the London Eye. We also had views of St Pauls and various other landmarks from the windows. In the evening, between the London Eye all lit up, and the various buildings lit in fancy colours the view was quite magical.

In addition to our room being decorated, the hotel was beautifully decorated for Christmas. The public spaces are varied and spotlessly clean. We took drinks in the quaint bar area and also had a late supper just outside this area by the piano one evening

On Christmas day we had booked to have lunch - well, I was not disappointed. The room was very nice and the food, all 5 courses, was super. Service was slick, without being obtrusive, and the time allowed between the courses was just right.

I have to say the staff are also what make this hotel. All the staff we encountered were polite, friendly and helpful. In particular, the restaurant staff, both at breakfast and on Christmas day. The wine sommelier was also very helpful when it came to chosing the wine for Christmas lunch - knowledgable, but not condescending, as many can be.

The hotel is very centrally located in Whitehall. Horseguards is less then 5 minutes walk, Downing Street about 5, and Trafalgar Square about 10. We could not have been better placed.

Taxis, should you require one are usually outside the door, or sitting at the Corinthia Hotel opposite, but the ever so friendly Doorman will soo arrange one if none are obvious.

All together a super stay at this lovely hotel. Dont take my word for it, give it a try when you are next in London - you wont be sorry.

Thanks again to all the staff for making our Christmas so enjoyable.

2  Thank MrCDEDINBURGH
Reviewed 6 January 2012

What a gem of a hotel in central London, set on the bank of the Thames, with both Parliament Square and Trafalgar Square only minutes a way. A haven of good manners, understated elegance and comfort. Loved it!

The room was great as well - containing all that you would expect from a 5* establishment.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends