“Another Fantastic Stay”

Ranked #113 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Another Fantastic Stay”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Arrived at the hotel at 11am and was told that my room was ready and me and my companion could check in (nice surprise). We were assigned room 313. The room was very nice indeed. It had everything you could want. I found the lighting a little confusing at first but a quick look at the information sheet on the large desk gave me all the information I needed. The bathroom with shower was excellent, the added bonus was a box full of thing to make the stay that little more comfortable was a nice touch. Plus I did enjoy watching the tv whilst taking a bath. The bed was very comfortable with ample space for 2 people with room to spare. The turndown service was a nice touch as well. The view from the room was lovely with the London Eye lit up bright red at night, if you want a view when the leaves are on the trees opt for a higher floor. All in all another fabulous stay and I can't wait to go back again in June.

• Stayed February 2012
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
A repeat guest who has an equally fantastic stay the time second visit as the first is a true review of our performance. So thank you very much for your comments, they are highly valued by the entire team.

I am delighted that we were able to accommodate an early check in for you, and that you found the room to be everything you could want. It’s great that all the little extra touches we offer are appreciated and help to make a stay even more perfect.

We look forward to seeing you again in June, for another fantastic stay.

Kind regards

Anna-Marie Dowling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,260)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Warwickshire, England
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed for a Saturday night in February 2012 booking an Executive Double with River View described as having "a separate bath as well as a shower in your en-suite ... The additional space in the Executive King rooms, include a separate casual seating area, large en-suite bathroom. ...The room measures up to 38 sq metres."

However, the assigned room, which we were assured was of the correct category was tiny with a tiny bathroom -- I'd say about 24 sq metres total -- and had neither a separate seating area nor a separate bath and shower. In fact the room looked very like the room in the hotel website's photograph of a standard double.

After some discussion, and due to the absence of any other larger Executive rooms, we were given a very decent bottle of wine and upgraded to the Horseguards Suite, a duplex suite on the 8th floor with a recessed river view from its upper level. This was a most satisfactory outcome and more than we were looking for!

Unfortunately, there were problems with the bath in this suite -- a wall notice described it as being a Koehler spa bath with wall controls to release aromatherapy oils into the water. However, there was no sign of these controls - the bath appeared to be an ordinary spa bath with just a simple on/off control for the small jets. Moreover, the water from the tap would not warm up to anything above tepid - just about tolerable for a quick shower, certainly not a bath.

The upper level had a tv that should rise and fall from a cabinet, but we could not find the controls to operate this mechanism so it stayed up permanently. The room's lighting controls were also quite tricky to fathom, each panel of four buttons seem to be arranged in haphazard fashion and randomly lit or dimmed certain lights.

Both the original room and the the suite had windows leading on to a small balcony. Unfortunately, the hotel has prevented these from being opened more than a couple of inches, so we could not go outside, which was a great shame.

Breakfast was hugely overpriced, even at the website pre-stay offer rate, so we ate nearby for about one quarter of the amount.

Overall impressions was that this is a grand historic building with lots of under-stated character in a perfect location, and has staff who try hard to please, but is let down by being inaccurately described in marketing materials.

Room Tip: Book a river view, but take along a copy of the room description from the website and insist that th...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review in such detail.

Upon some investigations, I understand that you were moved to our Royal Horseguards Suite for the evening, after meeting with our Front Office Manager.

I am disappointed that you did not have an enjoyable experience whilst in the Suite, and I have asked the Executive Housekeeper to review the instructions on how to operate the Jacuzzi bath. Our Maintenance Manager has also reviewed the hot water in the suite, as it only being tepid is clearly not acceptable. Both Managers have asked for their apologies to be linked to mine for the situation you found yourself in through no fault of your own.

Over the many years that the hotel has been in operation, I am afraid that the structural stability of the balconies has not been maintained, and they are therefore considered a health and safety risk. It is for this safety precaution that the hotel has placed restrictors on the balcony doors and window to prevent access.

I am sorry that you did not decide to have breakfast with us. As with any city location there are plenty of alternative options in the immediate area to cater for all needs and requirements, but there is something special about getting up and just going down stairs and being presented with a vast selection of different fruit, cereal, pastries and cooked items for you to choose between.

However I was pleased to read that you found the staff attentive and tried to ensure you had an enjoyable stay.

I hope you will consider returning to us, and may I ask you to book directly with us so we can make all the necessary arrangements to ensure you enjoy a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us.

Kind regards,

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in February. Although the hotel is in a wonderful location just off Embankment, and the write up promised marvellous views I was disappointed to be given a room with a view into a gloomy internal courtyard with the bottom part of the window frosted. This made the small room feel very claustrophobic. However apart from this the room was clean, comfortable and well fitted out. The public areas were elegant and the staff were very attentive.

Room Tip: If you care about a river view make sure you request one in advance but be prepared to pay a premium...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
I am so pleased that you had a fantastic stay with us back in December. Indeed the Bathroom TV never fails to raise a smile!

Next time perhaps, may we recommend a room with a river view plus the Thames and London Eye?

Kind regards

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed at the Royal Horseguards in December 2011 for 2 nights. The room (a deluxe double) was large, well-furnished and the beds were very comfortable. Like others, I loved the novelty of the TV in the shower, very fun.

The staff were lovely the location was ideal for visiting London's Christmas Markets!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank cailindeas2
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We were disappointed with this hotel. We will consider elsewhere when staying in London again. The room, deluxe double was about 4m x 3m with a short corridor to the small, cramped bathroom. Noise from neighbouring room doors and corridor chit chat was noticeable as corridors are narrow and there is little to buffer that noise. The room on arrival smelt of stale drains. We asked that this be rectified, or we be moved to another room. We returned from a walk to be told it was all fixed. Not really. The air conditioning was significantly noisy and in the end we turned it off. Cold ineffectual shower despite allowing water to run. Very low pressure from the shower. No where handy to hang one's towel whilst in the shower. As I said, disappointing. My wife suggested we would have been better staying at home!

The furnishings are 'nice' but this hotel is presumptious in its description too many things not up to standard. Only room for a desk chair in the room, no comfy chair and a desk chair as in many hotels to allow two guests to sit and relax. If you have two suitcases, this deluxe room would be too small for you. $7.80 US for a bottle of Still Water, same for Fizzy!

Location is good and balances some of the above, but not enough to cause us to book here again, or probably any other Guoman/Thistle hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Philip B
Many thanks for taking the time to post your constructive feedback regarding your stay with us at The Royal Horseguards. I am immensely disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us due to a number of shortfalls you experienced. Our rooms do vary in size as the building is so old, and is classified as Grade 2 listed building by English Heritage, so we are limited on the internal changes we could make to improve the size of some of the rooms during our refurbishment 3 years ago. Although I realize this is little consolation to you now our Maintenance Manager has carried out a full audit of the bedroom to ensure any faults with air conditioning and the shower are rectified to eliminate and future disappointment.

I do hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel as I would like to restore your faith in The Royal Horseguards. Please contact us directly when you are next traveling to London and we will make all the arrangements for you and strive to make it a most comfortable and a memorable stay.

Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stayed here early February for 2 nights while attending meetings in London. Check in was easy and the staff were very nice. I stayed in a small room on the 7th floor. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom floor was heated, and there is a TV in the shower. As I mentioned, the room is small, but comfortable and has plenty of storage for clothing and a safe that could fit a laptop. The best part of the room was the view of the London Eye...it was an amazing view.
Some friends of mine had complained about the noise when they stayed here before, but I had no issues. I slept just fine.
I ate at the hotel resturant for breakfast. It was OK, but nothing to rave about. It is expensive as you would expect for this type of hotel. Its all buffet so nothing is cooked specifically for you. You can find better and cheaper if you game to take a short walk.
All in all a nice stay in a very nice hotel located just minutes from a tube station and Trafalgar Square. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank dmarkstravels
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your overall stay with us, especially that the service you received was good. I will most definitely share your comments with the team and also discuss the improvement of our breakfast offering with our Executive Chef. Although as well as the Buffet we do offer an A La Carte Breakfast menu where everything is freshly cooked to order.

With regards to our location, I'd like to think we are ideally located right in the centre of London and close to many of the great sights to see in London, whilst at the same time being nicely tucked away from all the hustle bustle of the city.

I hope you and your friends will choose to return to us soon.

Europe
Reviewed 13 February 2012

The location is perfect for those of us that want to shop, sightsee, dine out, visit the theatre, catch the National Gallery, listen to some jazz or just generally wander around to see how the other half live!
The hotel is literally a one minute walk from the Embankment tube station so the Northen line, District and Circle lines and the Metropolitan line are all there to whisk you off to Sloane Square, South Kensington, Picadilly Circus, Oxford Circus, Leicester Square, Tottenham Court Road, just to name a few - all without changing trains!
Just a few minutes walk and you can reach the South Bank, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Soho, Covent Garden, gawp at No 10 from the end of Downing Street, and even stroll along to Buckingham Palace to see if you can catch a glimpse of the Royals!
But what about the hotel itself? We booked a standard room but on arrival paid to upgrade it to a slightly larger room overlooking the Thames and the Eye. Now be careful! Our view of the Thames was fine, as it was in January and most of the trees were fairly bare. In particular, the night-time view of the extravagently lit buildings over the river and the London Eye were a joy to see. I guess come the late Spring, Summer and Autumn, there wouldn't be so much of a view from our room, 536 on the 5th floor, as you would be looking straight at the trees. This room also has a decent size balcony, which sadly has a sign telling you that for health and safety reasons you cannot access it - by which they mean that the glass door is firmly locked! How sad. I am sure that back in the good old days, when it was not assumed that all hotel guests were potentially suicide cases, or that they just fell off balconies because they didn't know any better, the balcony would have been accessible and would have provided a much better view of the river and surrounds. Perhaps I am not alone in thinking that health and safety has taken the place of what in my youth was just good common sense?
Nonetheless, the room was extremely comfortable, reasonably generous in size and well worth the money we paid for it at early January prices. Not sure about later on in the year!
The hotel staff were a treat, extremely helpful and efficient throughout our four night stay. All requests to the reception and concierge were met promptly and accurately. As an example, there was a problem with the "rain shower" head over the bath (no step-in shower in this room I'm afraid) - it didn't seem to spray evenly. I mentioned this to reception on our way out in the morning; when we returned to the room in the late afternoon, it had been replaced by a new one.
Cannot comment on the hotel restaurant as we ate out every evening and preferred to sip our morning coffee and munch on our croissants in any one of the local cafes for less than a fiver per head, rather than pay £22 per head for breakfast. Doubtless very practical for the "suits" when the company is picking up the tab,but an unnecessary expense for the average tourist.
Did we enjoy our stay overall? You bet we did, it was great!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
It is a great pleasure to read your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards. I will forward your comments to the entire team here; who I am sure will be pleased with your kind words. The hotel indeed is very well located right in the centre of London with all the hot spots being easily accessible and the popular tourist attractions just a stone's throw away.

Over the many years that the hotel has been in operation, I am afraid that the structural stability of the balconies has not been maintained in some of the rooms, and they are therefore considered a health and safety risk. It is for this safety precaution that the hotel has placed restrictors on the balcony doors and window.

I am delighted that you found the location of the hotel so useful. We truly are right in the centre of the city allowing you access to so much of the sights and attractions by foot or via the Embankment tube station. It really sounds like you used your four days in London well and were able to catch most of sights while you were here.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your river view, and we feel it is well worth the supplement to experience London from this unique prospective. Please do not worry about the lack of view when the leaves are on the trees, every spring we re-categorize our river view rooms ensure our guests are not disappointed.

The next time you are planning your London get-away we hope to see you back with us at The Horseguards.