“Lovely in London” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Horseguards

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #95 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Moray, Scotland
“Lovely in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at a few central London hotels and consider this the best so far.

The check in experience was flawless, polite, quick and helpful.

The hotel has many mirrors, beware, it is sometimes like being in a hall of mirrors.

The room was delightful. We got a 'good deal' so knew the room would not be overlooking the river, but it was bright and clean, had plenty of space and a lovely bathroom. I fail to see the point of a tv in a shower, maybe they need to think about installing baths!

Breakfast was immense, highly recommended.

Will be scouring t'internet for good deals here in the future. (Otherwise it is way out of my price range!).

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank ayke
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
It is fantastic that you speak so highly of The Royal Horseguards compared to the other hotels you have stayed in while visiting London. The next time you stay request a room with a bath so you can really appreciate the TV in the bathroom after a long days shopping/work.

I will pass on the wonderful comments about our front office and food & beverage teams who will be delighted to read your comments.
If you contact us directly, we do offer some great deals and packages which may result is us being able to tempt you back quicker!

Anna-Marie Dowling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wirral
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

The hotel is beyond reproach. The quality of everything is to the highest standards, although you do pay for it. If you want a high-quality room in a great location you will struggle.

The problem I have encountered twice out of the three occasions I've stayed there is their central reservations ability to make my booking. It goes from my company to a travel agent and then to the hotel and yet I've had the embarrassing wait whilst the receptionist staff try to find it. And on both occasions it was the hotel's error. Not great for a five-star experience.

Room Tip: Print off any booking confirmation you have and take it with you to the hotel!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Bellini3
I am delighted to read that you find the hotel fabulous and beyond reproach. However I was disappointed to read that you are struggling to check-in as we are having difficulty in finding your reservation upon arrival. I have spoken to our Front Office Manager to ensure all his team are aware of the different methods we have for trying to find a reservation. He is currently retraining his tream members to address this issue for you and any other guests that may be experiencing the same problems. I can appreicate how frustrating this can be when all you want to do is check in to our hotel.

I hope this issue will not put you off from staying with us again.

West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Just had an excellent weekend in London with wife and a couple of friends, we had pre-arranged meals and entertainment so just needed accommodation at a central location. Booked two Standard Rooms at Royal Horseguards on their Guoman Winter Promotional Advance Purchase Rate. The cost of our “room only” stay was £156 (incl. VAT) per night per room, which we felt was great value compared to other 5 star hotels in London. The two 7th floor rooms were of a good size by London standards, I’ve stayed in smaller, higher graded and more expensive rooms at other less conveniently located hotels in the capital. We did not have, nor did we need, a view – we only intended sleeping there so a view was not important. The spotlessly clean room had first class facilities including: - free wifi, good minibar, built in ipod dock, well stocked hospitality tray, ample good quality (Elemis) toiletries, large flat screen TV in the room with a smaller flat screen built in over the bath, bathrobe & slippers, a large safe which easily accommodated my laptop and other items (a power point inside the safe allows you to charge your laptop/phone whilst it is secured in the safe), a selection of international power sockets and a couple of good modern telephones – with a more modest telephone in the bathroom. A turn down service, with “pillow chocolate”, was also provided. Our check-in and check-out was simplicity itself – the reception and concierge personnel being exceptionally efficient, friendly and helpful. On top of all this the hotel is fantastically located - on the Embankment across the Thames from the London Eye and only a few minutes walk to Trafalgar Square. We would certainly make this hotel our first choice when returning to London.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank landcruiserBJ
Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed report - we could not have asked for more! I am so pleased to hear that you and your friends had such a fantastic time in London, and that our hotel not only met but also exceeded your expectations. Our rooms refurbishment and our attention to detail has resulted in a product that we are very proud of and our guests are delighted with regardless of the room type booked. Little luxuries like Elemis toiletries and turndown chocolates are what you come to expect when reserving a 5 star hotel in London. But I was particularly pleased to read your comments about our Reception and Concierge teams - I will be sure to pass on your comments.

As you say our location is fantastic. So centrally located that it makes it a breeze to see so much of the city in such a short space of time.

Thank you for making us your first choice when staying in London, we look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Did not book this hotel by myself, but 'had' to stay there due to a business meeting. Was telling myself that this is going to be one of those London hotel experiences where they tell you what a great traditional hotel you are going to stay, just to find out that the room is not larger then an elevator and the last renovation was from 1919.
What a pleasant surprise when I checked in at this hotel. Very, very friendly staff, superb interior full of tradition and fantastic rooms that were totally new! With all what you need as a business traveler, lot of power sockets, international power sockets, WiFi, 24h room services, iPod Radio, modern phone, great minibar...! And the location is just fantastic, just by Trafalgar Square and Whitehall. Will go back there. My new place to stay when I am in London.

Room Tip: if you book a room, try to find a rate that includes breakfast.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Sandokan62
Wow what a turnaround!!! From being told that you 'had' to stay with us, to now The Horseguards being you preferred place to stay when in London!!! What a fantastic review.
But on a serious note, it is wonderful that we were able to change your opinion in all areas, but specially on the service and friendliness of the team. So we are looking forward to the next time work has to bring you to London, so you can stay with us again.

General Manager.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

This was a really great hotel, excellent service and very good food. The location was ideal as it was right on embankment and as I walked around I found myself in New Scotland Yard. There is a great hairdressers opposite in the Corinthian which was handy for my social event and all service was quick and efficient. I had room service which was excellent and hot - which is not always the case. The food was really good. All the perks of a good hotel like the turn down service and they had replenished the tea etc. Facilities - bathroom, shower etc. all good. Room was a little noisy because it was over looking the street but that is London. I got this hotel through last minute secret hotels and it was a very good deal! Recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the great review. It's great to hear that you thought the service and food were excellent during your stay. The little touches of a turndown service during your stay certainly helps to make you feel pampered, and helps to ease away the tiredness of a long day. It sound like you took full of our location and choose to walk to your places of interest.

Thank you for recommending us, we hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Stayed early march 12 for three nights. Location, accommodation and rooms are excellent. Good size rooms for the money. The wifi is not reliable sand massive problems ordering food from the 24 hour room service menu. Menu stated it had mango and passion fruit, I ordered it and three times it came back as fruit salad, not one piece of Mage nor passion fruit. If you don't have it, say so, but three goes, discussions with the night duty manger who said he would elevate it, to which it went into the abyss of red tape and the management forgot.
Pity because the doormen, the concierge is second to none.
Overall stillnpstive experience.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Rohner68
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor recently. I am very happy to read that you thought the rooms are excellent, you are right the location is brilliant as we truly are in the heart of London.

Please accept my personal apologies for the problems you experienced with ordering food from Room Service. You should not have to order any item 3 times in a hope of getting what was listed on the menu. I can imagine how frustrating and annoying this was for you. I have discussed this situation further with the Room Service and Night Manager and ensured some corrective training has taken place to ensure future guests do not experience the same problem.

On a happier note, I was pleased that you found the Doorman and Concierge helpful, and I will certainly pass on your comments to the team.

Overall I am pleased your stay was a positive experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Horseguards.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My heart sinks when I check in to a so called 5* hotel and the receptionist asks me if I want to upgrade my room for another thirty quid. He's basically saying "You've been conned". The five star room you thought you'd booked is in fact a refurbished, windowless broom cupboard and if you want any sight of daylight, you gotta pay more. It stinks.

Being an older building, The Royal Horseguards has many internal rooms which at best, (room *04) face onto narrow vertical passages which deny you any view of the sky, and at worst (room *21) which appear to have an artificial window with a light behind it. To add insult to injury, the beds "double" beds in these rooms are 4' 6" wide. In my opinion that's a single bed in a five star hotel. Apparently, only 20 rooms have king size beds.

My advice is to print the photograph of the example of the room you have booked from the hotel's website, and point out to the receptionist that it indicates that dayight is included. My advice to the management is to take as example the The Strand Palace Hotel, where rooms 'without a view' are clearly stated and discounted accordingly. And stop pretending to be a five star hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the street, or better still, the river.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CrestaRider
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards, Please accept my apologies for the obvious disappointment you experienced with the lack of light in your room and the size of the bed.

As you have stated we are located in an old building, dating back to 1885 and unfortunately a proportion of our rooms are located on the inner court wells which do have limited natural day light. We do sell these rooms as our base product in acknowledgement of this factor. Some of our guests do prefer our court view rooms as they considered quieter and therefore easier to sleep in if you are not used to the noise of a busy city.

As all our rooms are different in shape and size, the designer allocated the largest bed possible to fit the space in the room when the refurbishment took place. As you quite rightly say, we do only have 20 Executive King rooms with river view available to book, however over 45% of our Executive double rooms do have king beds in them but we not sell them as a separate room category as we believe having too many rooms options can become confusing when trying to reserve a room.

I do hope you would reconsider about returning to us, so that we could be given the opportunity to prove to you that we are a 5 star property.