“Excelent place, lcation and staff”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #123 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I chose The Royal Horseguards after read some reviews on tripadvisor. It's a quite big hotel. The room isn't big, but is cozy and clean. The beds and pillows are great. The shower awsome. Theres a complimentary bottle of water, chocolate, coffee and snacks. It's very near from the parliament, the buckinham palace, big ben, li don eye. You can walk to every major attractions.

Room Tip: I made an upgrade at check in to a room with view to the river. It worths every penny.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2012

We are in an excellent location as you say, so close to so many of the main attractions in London.

I was pleased to read that you found the bed, pillows and shower exceptional. And we hope you will choose to return to us soon.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,914)

Reviewed 23 May 2012

I booked one nights stay at this hotel via lastminute.com's secret hotels. (At least I got a discounted rate)

First off at check in there was confusion as they thought I had booked two rooms. Once cleared up, we made our way to the room. I had to call reception to check it was a deluxe double as it was extremely small and I thought the two room booking may have caused confusion. Apparently it was. It was the last room at the furthest point of the hotel (not sure whether this is linked to it being a lastminute.com booking) and apart from the bathroom which was nice, again it was disappointing for a 5* hotel. I had enquired at the point of booking whether a room with a river view was available but received no feedback.

My wife then noticed a noise coming from the air conditioning unit, not overly noisy but a tinnitus like sound that once you hear you cannot ignore. It was permanently there regardless of whether the air con was switched on or off. I went down to reception to speak to someone about it and they said someone would be sent to the room to investigate. This person arrived acknowledged the sound and said they would get back to us. We then went out for the evening and returned back to the room with the sound still present and no explanation from a member of staff, it was past 23:30 at this point so I did not feel it appropriate to request a change of room and instead attempted to sleep. Ultimately it resulted in a very poor nights sleep even with ear plugs and the telly left on to try and block out the sound.

The hotel is in an excellent location and visually the circulation areas are very nice. I do not visit hotels to eat and drink within their walls when there is so much to see outside so I can only rate based upon the quality of the nights sleep and this hotel was terrible. I appreciate it may be an isolated case but the staff should have rectified the problem when it was first highlighted and not ignored it. The bed / pillows were of good quality as was the bathroom, for these it receives an extra mark.

3  Thank 81__Michael_
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Thank you for posting your constructive feedback on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards.

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the size of your room. Our bedrooms do vary in size, but as we as a grade II listed building we were unable to change the internal layout of the property in the refurbishment.

I was most concerned to read of the noise coming from the air conditioning unit, and that this issue was not resolved even after the engineer had investigated. When you returned from your evening out, there should have been some communication to you regarding this maintenance issue and how we intended to resolve this to your satisfaction. For this I am truly sorry and I have spoken to the people involved to remind them of the importance of communication, not only between us but most importantly with our guests. Please accept my personal apology for the situation you found yourself in through no fault of your own.

On a positive note, I was pleased to read that you found our location excellent and the public areas to your satisfaction.

I hope you will choose to come back to us, and if you do so, please contact us direct so we can personally take care of your reservation to ensure a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

This hotel and it's staff are 4-star....excellent in all regards except for a few things. One issue is a major safety concern and the elderly especially should be careful in this hotel's bathrooms. For no good reason except for style or perhaps local custom, the tub/shower has only half of a shower curtain. It is very difficult not to soak the floor whilst taking a bath. I almost broke my neck getting out of the tub....all for half of a shower curtain. I am a fit 55 y/o man and was able to arrest the fall. God save the Queen....and please request a full coverage shower cutain. I had three rooms rented for my family...and my entire tribe was amazed at this guest safety issue in a hotel as fine as the Royal Horseguard. The only other shortcoming was the slow wait staff...especially in the bar....good for the liver I suppose.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay with us.

I was most upset and concerned to read that you slipped in the bathroom after using the shower. I was relieved to read that you managed to save yourself and I hope you were fine after this incident, although I expect a little shaken. I have asked the Executive Housekeeper to investigate why there was only one shower curtain in your family’s rooms and to rectify it. She has asked for her apologies to be linked with mine.

I am sorry that you found the service that our waiting staff offered was slow, particularly in the Equus Bar. This is not acceptable and the entire team are being spoken to ensure that it does not happen again.

Apart from these two issues I am pleased that you found the rest of your stay excellent.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

I have stayed at the this hotel on a number of occasions over the last few months.
It is modern luxury at its best. So, the lobby is very grand with a beautiful feature fireplace, the concierge really gives a warm welcome on entry.
The rooms are small ( this is London!) but extremely comfortable.
Beautiful Egyptian cotton on the beds, fabulous bathrooms with a TV so you can watch it in the Bath, and surround sound from the TV and IPod dock ensures you never miss a word!
Fantastic Elemis smellies in the Bathroom that just beg to be used.
Beautiful views overlooking the Thames and the London Eye ( ask for a river view)
Food and service in the lounge is fantastic.
This is now my London hotel of choice if I can get it at the right price.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank suziesuz

Thank you for such a great review, and as you have stayed here many times in the recent months, it offers our TripAdvisor readers a genuine insight to our property.

Our bedrooms do vary in size, due to being a Grade II listed building, but every room has the same facilities and amenities as you know. But as you say the views over the Thames are beautiful, and make any stay extra special.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many more stays in the future.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

If you are looking for a hotel in London, look no further.
The hotel is Fantastic!!!!!!
From the moment the doorman greets you upon your arrival until you leave the staff are most friendly and attentive without being overbearing and make you feel special.
There was a harpist playing soothing music in the lobby and there was a roaring fire in reception.
The room we were allocated had a view of the river London Eye and City. This I believe would usually cost extra but was upgraded free upon request.
The room was well appointed, clean, fresh and luxurious.
The staff even placed a happy birthday surprise into the room in the evening, without requested to do so. A thoughtful touch.
The breakfast was excellent with a wide range in both of the hot and cold buffet.
The location could not be better for all of the theatres and fun London has to offer.
Its worth a look to the right of reception, behind the door hides the largest free standing marble staircase in Europe!

Overall an excellent hotel and friendly we look forward to visiting again!

1  Thank Bard W

Thank you for your Fantastic review!!!!!

It is wonderful to read that the team made you feel so special while staying with us to celebrate your birthday. Our aim is to deliver the service that our guests so righty expect these days from a leading 5 star property, but without any of the stuffy formality.

We are located in an enviable location. So close to so many of the top London attractions, while still being able to offer views of the River Thames from our rooms. I am pleased that the bedroom met your expectations.

Our Executive Chef, Ben Purton will be delighted to read that you felt our hot and cold breakfast buffet was excellent. These are the type of comments we strive to consistently achieve.

Yes our most secret gem is the Spiral staircase which is located in the entrance to our dedicated conference venue. I am pleased you were able to view it, as it is wonderfully grand.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

My friend and I traveled from Southern California to visit London for the first time last week and a colleague who lives in London recommended this hotel and we were very pleased. Our only complaint was that our room wasn't ready when we arrived, jet-lagged and groggy, and though we were told the hotel guarantees room availability by 3pm, it was almost 4pm before ours was ready. But everything after that was great. We liked the spacious lobby with the fireplace, and beautiful decor. Our room was good sized with lots of luxuries - like a heater in the bathroom floor and a tv not just in the bathroom, but actually built into the shower - I thought I've stayed in some very fancy hotels, but that was a first. The towel heater was a nice touch, too. We had breakfast in the elegant lobby restaurant each day and the service was very attentive and there was a nice assortment of breakfast options: eggs, bacon, ham, baked tomatoes, poached eggs, beans, kippers, smoked salmon, breakfast cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, pastries, etc. By the 3rd day of the same menu however we were thinking it would be nice for some different menu items. We enjoyed tea service one afternoon, the little cakes and sandwiches were delicious and mini works of art. I added a glass of champagne - they ran out of the usual so upgraded me to Veuve Clicquot for no extra charge - my favorite! Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

I was delighted to read the very positive comments regarding your visit to The Royal Horseguards. I do apologise that your room was not ready upon arrival, and I have asked our Rooms Division Manager to investigate why and address the issues with the respective teams.
Over the last few years the hotel has been extensively refurbished and we have received very positive comments regarding the bedrooms and public areas. Ours guests seam to particularly enjoy the iPod docking station with surround sound and the TV in the bathroom.

I was please that you enjoyed your breakfast experience here at the hotel, and especially that you found the service very attentive. I appreciate your comments about the breakfast variety when staying for a number of days. We do offer an a la carte menu as well as the buffet breakfast, as this helps to offer more menu options, however I have passed your feedback on to our Executive Chef. We are getting quiet a reputation for our Afternoon teas, so it is also advisable to reserve a table in advance if possible to avoid disappointment.

The next time you return to London, we hope you will choose to return to The Royal Horseguards.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

What can I say. I have stayed here quite a few times and the staff are just so attentive and thorough. The rooms are delightful. I always stay here if I can when visiting London on business.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

I am delighted to read that we are your favourite hotel when staying in London and that you find the staff so very attentive. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.