“Afternoon Tea at the Royal Horseguards Hotel”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #99 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Vancouver, Canada
“Afternoon Tea at the Royal Horseguards Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

My husband and I were on a bit of a nostalgic afternoon in Westminster and thought a trip to the Royal Horseguards Hotel for afternoon tea would be a great treat. As I used to work for the then Ops Manager over 10 years ago, I was looking forward to seeing the refurbishments made to the hotel. I was overwhelmed by the interior changes and swept away by the beautiful restoration and refurnishing. The Tea itself was lovely, we took a glass of champagne to start it off before the tea and goodies arrived. The waitress was lovely, apologising for the long wait to order (she was running to and from the restaurant to the lounge). Unfortunately this is one of the things about the "Old Horseguards" which jumped immediately to mind. Not enough staff to service clients, it was a bit disappointing to see that this is still the case. Unfortunately there were other patrons who were looking around for service too. Hopefully they can sort this out as it was definitely a mar on the experience. All in all though a delightful few hours and the waitress did say if we needed anymore of anything just to ask. So glad we went.

1 Thank ElaineMOman
, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Thank you for your recent post and welcome back to The Royal Horseguards as a Guest!

I am pleased to hear that you had a wonderful Afternoon Tea with us and that you loved the changes we have made to the Hotel.

I am sorry that your experience was marred by slow service, and this took you back to memories of old. Our Lounge manager is in the process of looking at staffing levels and schedules to ensure future guests do not encounter the same experience. However I am pleased that you found the waitress charming.

Don't leave it another 10 years before returning again!!

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night for a special occasion when arriving I was greeted from across the street by the concieger to take my luggage which was excellent service. Very polite reception staff my luggage was in the room before myself! Fantastic views/area for all attractions!! Best night sleep black out curtains made me feel like I could sleep all day even the soft closing corridor doors made to my experiance! A excellent,elegant hotel.a must to stay at and return too!

• Stayed July 2011
, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
What a superb review - thank you!!

I am so pleased that every aspect of your stay exceeded your expectations, which was especially important as you were celebrating a special occasion. The team will be so proud when they read your comments.

We can't wait to have you come back and stay with us again.

Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

I have to start saying this is my first time in a 5 stars hotel and I was amazed with all the luxury on it.
The hotel is very well located, few steps from the Embankment tube station.
The staff is very professional.
We booked 2 rooms king size with river view, but the rooms weren't similar. One of them has shower and the other has a jacuzzi, one was smaller than the other one. Evidently we payed for 2 similar rooms and we got different ones, we booked in advance and finally we didn't complain, our mistake. I recommend check the room first.
The hotel is very comfy and elegant.
The rooms has very nice amenities.
Our room was little bit hot and the air conditioner was too noisy to turn it on during nights, so our rest wasn't so pleasant. Also, the mattress has a plastic cover that makes us sweat during nights.
The view to the river was blocked by trees (we stayed in 5ft and 6th floor), so from our point of view isn't necessary pay extra for the river view. We didn't hear the noise from the street, good thing.
The breakfast was superb and well served. Sometimes we had to wait until a table get ready, so pity.
Definitely I will come back, but I won't request the most expensive room.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank osippa
, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Thank you for choosing us for your first 5 star hotel experience!! I am delighted that you found the hotel to be comfortable, while elegant and luxurious. I was especially pleased to read your comments that you found the staff to be professional, and that this extended through to the breakfast team.

Our rooms do vary in size and as we are located in a listed building, therefore we are unable to restructure the lay out of the hotel. This is why the configuration of our rooms vary, and the designer considered each one individually to ensure the lay out was the best possible for the space available. This means that it is very rare for you to get two rooms identical in shape and layout, and we feel this adds to the charm of staying in our rooms.

I am sorry that you did not experience a good night sleep. I have asked maintenance to check the air conditioning units in these rooms and address the noise issue, and for Housekeeping to check all mattresses for the plastic sheet, as we use cotton mattress protectors on our beds so this situation does not occur. Thank you for this feedback as it allows us to correct these issues for the next guest.

Over all I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and that you definitely intend to come back. We look forward to your return.

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

We have stayed at the RH several times over the past two years, and although quite pricey is worth every penny, being a fabulous setting, plush surroundings, exceptionally pleasant staff etc. We joined their signature club which gives several benefits depending on how many times you stay - we have just come back from a weekend which included a free Sunday night for joining the club. Memorable lunch and evening drinks - today on the terrace before catching our train home

Room Tip: Room overlooking Thames and London Eye
1 Thank Michael H
, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Thank you for your review and I am delighted to hear you are enjoying the benefits of being a Guoman Signature member. It's just a little reward for being a loyal and regular guest with us. We hope it will encourage you to stay with us, and other Guoman hotels more frequently.

We look forward to welcoming you back so you can earn more rewards!!!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

Pros: beautiful building, lovely decor:rooms and public areas, good location, superb restaurant(1212), slick check in, efficient , knowledgeable and professional staff.
Cons: The noise!, 2 night stay at this hotel, little sleep. Roadworks outside hotel 24/7 also general traffic noise clearly audible . We would not have stayed her if we had known about the roadworks. Shame, as it's a lovely hotel albeit that the 'superior double rooms' are quite small.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the terrace side, NOT the roadside!
2 Thank Heather-in-Canada
, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Thank you for your invaluable comments.

I am delighted to learn that you found the Hotel to be in a great location and you enjoyed our beautiful building. However what has delighted me most of all is that you found the staff to be knowledgeable and professional. I will be sure to pass on your comments, especially to our team in our 1212 Restaurant.

I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise from the road. Unfortunately the Council were carrying out road works, and I am disappointed that it marred your stay with us. Next time, could I suggest you try one of our internal court view rooms, as they are quieter which why some guests prefer them.

We hope you will consider staying with us again.

Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

This is one of the most splendid hotels in Europe we have stayed in. Near no. 10, between Trafalgar and Big Ben, right on the Thames, with room view on the City, St Paul's Cathedral and the London eye!! The view is so spectacular from the 7th flr that we did not close the curtains at night!!
The room is beautiful, fabulously comfortable and with the latest technology available.
No wonder the lounge-bar area was very popular on Sat. evening:...great ambiance all around, the staff make you feel really special without pretention.
We will be back very soon.
PS: thank you for those gorgeous strawberries coated with chocolate in our room on our arrival!

Room Tip: 7th flr, view on the Thames is a must!
, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that you had a disappointing stay with us. We have tried to make amends, but have been unable to resolve the situation to your satisfaction. We have investigated the situation further since our correspondence, and believe the confusion has occurred as we have two packages on offer with a simular name, a Romance on the River and a Romance Package. Both include different elements, and we have you reserved on a Romance package which includes breakfast, champagne and turndown. I believe this is where the misunderstanding has occurred, and I am sorry that you feel we have let you done.

I hope this will not put you off from staying at other Guoman properties as you have in the past.

Stevenage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

We only went for a early dinner on the day the Queen was celebrating her offical birthday and even though we had booked ther terrace they let us into the hotel restaurant as it was a bit cold. The service was wonderful as our friend was celebrating her special birthday they were just lovely. The was a harpist playing and it was very relaxing and even though we were not staying at the hotel the service was excellent and we stayed a good couple of hours

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
It is really very nice to receive such a lovely review from a guest not actually staying with us, but using our facilities. We like to treat ALL visitors to the hotel as if they were staying with us and it is so good to hear that this is happening.

Thank you and I’m very glad that we helped to make your friend’s birthday so special.

Kind regards