“Sadly underwhelmed”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #115 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Royal Horseguards hotel as a treat for our night in London.
We did get an excellent deal and if this hadn't been the case we would have complained.
This is a five star hotel in a fantastic location. The reception area is welcoming and the staff are very helpful.
We had an internal room, 504 so sadly no view. However we weren't expecting opaque windows that we could not open.
The room was stuffy and so we had to use the AC which resulted in my having a headache.
The duvet on the bed was far too heavy for July and made for an uncomfortable night. The bedroom was to a high standard but the wooden headboard was very dusty which surprised me.
The bathroom had a good supply of hot water but the cracked sink and smell of damp was very off putting.
It was such a shame that our experience was marred by these details. We would consider staying here again as the location is excellent and the staff are first rate but next time we would upgrade to something on the outside of the building with windows that you could see out of. I would also ask to see the allocated room first to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

May I thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am saddened to read of your disappointing experienced when staying with us recently. As with many Central London hotels, we do have rooms that have limited views and some are indeed facing internal light wells. I do however wish that you had brought all of the issues raised to the attention of our Guest Relations Manager who would have ensured that you have a restful night and a more pleasant stay. May I also thank you for your invaluable feedback with regards to room 504. I have personally ensured that this issues are rectified immediately with our Housekeeping and Maintenance Teams.

However on a positive note, I was delighted to hear that you found the reception staff very helpful and our location extremely convenient.

I understand your disappointment about this stay, but I do hope you will change your mind and reconsider staying with us again. If you do please contact us direct so that we can take care of your reservation.

There are newer reviews for The Royal Horseguards

Reviewed 2 July 2012

As a disabled lady keen to see the Jubilee Pageant,we decided the not cheap cost of £312 per room would be a life memory.The upgrade to a juniour suite REALLY HELPED!i have stayed here about 50 times when it was a Thistle Hotel ,(nice to be recognised again) so probably not for 8 years ! was not disappointed in the new owners refurbishment(apart from the reception seating area).ON THE WHOLE they have managed to retain the feel of a slightly CLASSY,ENGLISH hotel.This image is however RUINED when the staff can't understand you. I realise that English is not always a first language, but Please can we have a hotel standard? Everything was going well until breakfast.Historically a problem.(Too many guests descending at once )Eased previosly by turning their'waiting area' besides the restaurant into tables.This may not be an aesthetic answer, but apart from tables either on the verrandah or in the piano-bar lounge.I can suggest no other (UNless to discount with 'no breakfast 'a HEAVY option?
OMETHING HAS TO BE DONE.It ruined our stay AGAIN. Also if a hotel knows that they have94% occupancy then surely more staff can be rostered on?I felt for those too few BRILLIANT individuals trying to manage this carnage.Isuspect seen every Sundaymorning ?
To be fair, we were warned.I managed a super human effort to be ready by 9am on a sunday morning,we didn't finish eating, once a seat became availabe till 10.30.Thereby missing the acessable decking & THE QUEEN I Still enjoyed it though.
This hotel is Fabulously situated in central london(a quarter of a mile from the Prime Minister no less, so GREAT for sightseeing/Theatres.This is a hotel where you exchange the stress of Life for an Oppulent Calm(apart from breakfast)
WELL DONE ALL AGAIN.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the river, are quiter (but more expensive)
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write your review in such detail.

I am delighted to hear that you remembered us, when you were deciding where to stay to celebrate such a momentous occasion as The
Queens Diamond Jubilee Weekend celebrations. I am pleased that we met most of your expectations, and overall you had an enjoyable weekend.

It is always great to receive praise from someone who stayed in the hotel prior to the refurbishment. I am please our renovation has met with your approval and that you feel we have managed to keep the character of the property.

I am sorry that you found the level of English spoken by the front of house staff to be lacking. We do have an international team that work here, and they speak many languages including English.

Breakfast was a tremendously busy period in our Restaurant on this weekend, as virtually everyone was working on the same time schedule. I am sorry that you were kept waiting for a table, which resulted in you not being able to get to the accessible decking . We were re-laying tables as soon as they became available to try to accommodate people as quickly as possible. However the Restaurant Manager has taken on board your feedback and is investigating what changes can be made to ease the situation in the future.

It's great to hear that you fantastic weekend, and please do not wait 8 years to return to us again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We stayed here for a night as part of a birthday celebration. The hotel exudes luxury from the greeting at the door to the harpist playing outside the tea rooms in the afternoon. Bedroom amenities included an ipod dock and the bathroom had heated flooring and towel rails and even a TV screen in the shower. The hotel is excellently located for all the sights or even just a pleasant walk along the river and is very handy for the tube.
The breafast buffet had an amount of choice but I have seen a wider choice at much smaller hotels although there were other items that could be ordered e.g. kippers, hash browns. Most of it was standard fare and the cooked items were nothing special.
The downsides for me were the thinness of the walls which meant I could hear conversations going on in the next room and the noise of the traffic through the windows at night.
Would I stay here again - yes, if I could afford it!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

Thank you for your review. May I also wish you a belated Happy Birthday!

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay. We are indeed located in a fabulous location and are lucky enough to have most of London on our doorstep! It is wonderful to hear the hotel described as exuding luxury, and that you found this extended all the way to our bedrooms. I am glad that you liked your room and that you made use of the little extra touches that are standard in all rooms.

I am disappointed to read that breakfast did not meet your expectations. I shall indeed ensure that your comments are passed to our Executive Chef, who regularly reviews the selection on offer to our guests. I am sorry that you were disturb by the noise from the next room and street below your window. We are however in the process of obtaining quotes for secondary glazing to help address some of this issue.

We hope you will come back and stay with us again. Please keep a look out on Guoman.com, as we often run promotions and last minute deals.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

My husband and I were on a bit of a nostalgic afternoon in Westminster and thought a trip to the Royal Horseguards Hotel for afternoon tea would be a great treat. As I used to work for the then Ops Manager over 10 years ago, I was looking forward to seeing the refurbishments made to the hotel. I was overwhelmed by the interior changes and swept away by the beautiful restoration and refurnishing. The Tea itself was lovely, we took a glass of champagne to start it off before the tea and goodies arrived. The waitress was lovely, apologising for the long wait to order (she was running to and from the restaurant to the lounge). Unfortunately this is one of the things about the "Old Horseguards" which jumped immediately to mind. Not enough staff to service clients, it was a bit disappointing to see that this is still the case. Unfortunately there were other patrons who were looking around for service too. Hopefully they can sort this out as it was definitely a mar on the experience. All in all though a delightful few hours and the waitress did say if we needed anymore of anything just to ask. So glad we went.

2  Thank ElaineMOman
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

Thank you for your recent post and welcome back to The Royal Horseguards as a Guest!

I am pleased to hear that you had a wonderful Afternoon Tea with us and that you loved the changes we have made to the Hotel.

I am sorry that your experience was marred by slow service, and this took you back to memories of old. Our Lounge manager is in the process of looking at staffing levels and schedules to ensure future guests do not encounter the same experience. However I am pleased that you found the waitress charming.

Don't leave it another 10 years before returning again!!

Reviewed 26 June 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night for a special occasion when arriving I was greeted from across the street by the concieger to take my luggage which was excellent service. Very polite reception staff my luggage was in the room before myself! Fantastic views/area for all attractions!! Best night sleep black out curtains made me feel like I could sleep all day even the soft closing corridor doors made to my experiance! A excellent,elegant hotel.a must to stay at and return too!

• Stayed: July 2011
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

What a superb review - thank you!!

I am so pleased that every aspect of your stay exceeded your expectations, which was especially important as you were celebrating a special occasion. The team will be so proud when they read your comments.

We can't wait to have you come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

I have to start saying this is my first time in a 5 stars hotel and I was amazed with all the luxury on it.
The hotel is very well located, few steps from the Embankment tube station.
The staff is very professional.
We booked 2 rooms king size with river view, but the rooms weren't similar. One of them has shower and the other has a jacuzzi, one was smaller than the other one. Evidently we payed for 2 similar rooms and we got different ones, we booked in advance and finally we didn't complain, our mistake. I recommend check the room first.
The hotel is very comfy and elegant.
The rooms has very nice amenities.
Our room was little bit hot and the air conditioner was too noisy to turn it on during nights, so our rest wasn't so pleasant. Also, the mattress has a plastic cover that makes us sweat during nights.
The view to the river was blocked by trees (we stayed in 5ft and 6th floor), so from our point of view isn't necessary pay extra for the river view. We didn't hear the noise from the street, good thing.
The breakfast was superb and well served. Sometimes we had to wait until a table get ready, so pity.
Definitely I will come back, but I won't request the most expensive room.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank osippa
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Thank you for choosing us for your first 5 star hotel experience!! I am delighted that you found the hotel to be comfortable, while elegant and luxurious. I was especially pleased to read your comments that you found the staff to be professional, and that this extended through to the breakfast team.

Our rooms do vary in size and as we are located in a listed building, therefore we are unable to restructure the lay out of the hotel. This is why the configuration of our rooms vary, and the designer considered each one individually to ensure the lay out was the best possible for the space available. This means that it is very rare for you to get two rooms identical in shape and layout, and we feel this adds to the charm of staying in our rooms.

I am sorry that you did not experience a good night sleep. I have asked maintenance to check the air conditioning units in these rooms and address the noise issue, and for Housekeeping to check all mattresses for the plastic sheet, as we use cotton mattress protectors on our beds so this situation does not occur. Thank you for this feedback as it allows us to correct these issues for the next guest.

Over all I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and that you definitely intend to come back. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

We have stayed at the RH several times over the past two years, and although quite pricey is worth every penny, being a fabulous setting, plush surroundings, exceptionally pleasant staff etc. We joined their signature club which gives several benefits depending on how many times you stay - we have just come back from a weekend which included a free Sunday night for joining the club. Memorable lunch and evening drinks - today on the terrace before catching our train home

Room Tip: Room overlooking Thames and London Eye
1  Thank Michael H
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Thank you for your review and I am delighted to hear you are enjoying the benefits of being a Guoman Signature member. It's just a little reward for being a loyal and regular guest with us. We hope it will encourage you to stay with us, and other Guoman hotels more frequently.

We look forward to welcoming you back so you can earn more rewards!!!