“Favorite Location in London”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #120 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I've stayed in several places over the years, but The Royal Horseguards may be my favorite. Of course, it is a luxury hotel and should have all of the bells and whistles, but from the amazing location on the Thames to the standard American electrical outlet that fits straightening irons and iPads, Royal Horseguards stands out. There are lots of accommodations in London, but this one gets my vote for comfort and style. I'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you for your wonderful endorsement. We know all our guests have hundreds of hotels they can choose from, but the fact that you have named us as your favourite in London means so much.

Your favourite hotel can’t wait to welcome you back soon.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,818)

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Second time I've stayed here - very opulent and comfortable.
Service was good
We were assigned an executive twin at 11am - I hadn't specifically booked this but it was very lovely.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2012

Thank you for your concise review. I am please to hear that your second stay was a success with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back for your 3rd !

Reviewed 8 July 2012

A great hotel doesn’t have to be perfect. The Royal Horseguards is not perfect, but it has got class and character.

I insist on staying there whenever I visit London on business (our corporate head office is just a short stroll away). However it is not the convenient location that makes the difference, it is the way they treat you, making you feel special.

On my most recent visit I arrived at the front desk at eight in the morning, exhausted (I never sleep on planes), bleary eyed, and severely rumpled after an 11-hour flight from Johannesburg. I got swept inside as if I was royalty: “Of course your room is ready, sir”. Most places I know would have politely reminded you that the official check in time was at two or three in the afternoon.

The previous time I stayed at the Royal Horseguards I had a room facing the Thames and I could lie on my bed watching the London Eye go round and round. This time I got Room 844!

Room 844 is one of nine “Standard Single” rooms in the hotel, and how they fitted everything into such I small space I do not know. But they did and it sort of works, but the room only has a shower (with a plasma TV in it!), and is not properly soundproofed so you get to listen to a lot of revelry late at night.

The complimentary umbrella is a nice (very necessary) touch; and breakfast in the One Twenty One Two restaurant is in true English tradition – it makes the arteries cringe, but who cares. I also like the understated entrance (as opposed to the drive-through American variety) and the doorman and concierge’s desk staff are true professionals.

So, I again had a great stay (even in Room 844!), and will be back for more.

Room Tip: Avoid room 844 like the plague!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Nambul

Thank you for you loyalty and positive review. It’s fantastic to hear that the team make you feel special and take care of you so well during your visits to us.

As I am sure you understand London is very busy at the moment, so our opportunities to offer complimentary upgrades are now very limited. However I am pleased to hear that the room booked a standard single, was comfortable and as u discovered offered the same facilities and amenities as all out other rooms.

I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise from the street. I am afraid as with most major cities, London is never quiet, and especially with the Olympic preparations going on.

It is fantastic to hear that you will return to us again in the future, and we will look forward to it.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Be warned that if you stay at this hotel and have booked a standard double room, you are likely to be placed in a room that has frosted windows that do not open. I found this unpleasant and asked at reception if they had any rooms with windows with clear glass to be told rather rudely that views didn't come with that class of room if I wanted that I'd have to pay an additional £30. I think, after paying £275 for a room windows with clear glass (view or not) aren't too much to ask. I did pay the extra to make my stay more comfortable, regrettably and whilst I was waiting on the receptionist to retrieve the form I could plainly hear her shouting through to some other staff member behind the desk that yes, I was going to pay for it. What was I to take from this - if I had complained, would I have received the 'upgrade' for free? Unpleasant.

Another poor experience with reception staff was on check in - the staff member took our card and gestured at us to enter the pin number whilst she was on a phone call - the number didn't match what we were expecting and when my husband hesitated she actually tried to lean over and press the button for him. Once she finished the call it was revealed that it wasn't a charge but a additional costs guarantee - I can't imagine why she couldn't just have explained this simple thing.

Otherwise, the room itself was tastefully decorated although a makeup (?) smudge on the toilet roll, the smallest double bed I've ever seen and visible black hairs under the bedsheet let it down. The view, once I paid for it, was a great one of the London Eye. Breakfast was ok and staff there, like the porters, were very polite and what I actually would expect from a 5 star hotel unlike other experiences at reception.

Overall, I won't be staying here again. Yes, the hotel looks good and has a fantastic location but experiences with staff completely let it down. There is no way this is the behaviour of a five star establishment and I can only conclude it is overpriced when there are so many other hotels at that price point in London that can do it better.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review. Please accept my apologies for all the service issues you experienced with Reception. I agree that you did not receive five star service on check in, and I have personally spoken to the Front Office Manager regarding your feedback. He in turn has spoken to the staff member in question to address the points you have raised. Your comments have also been shared with the rest of the team, and the necessary re-training is currently taking place. Please be assured your feedback has been taken seriously, and I am sorry for the disappointment and upset this experienced caused you.

I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with the room category that you initial reserved. Like most London hotels, we do have some rooms that over look light wells, and while some guests prefer them as they are quieter, we do appreciate that they do not meet all our guest expectations. Due to high occupancy, it is not always possible to offer complimentary upgrade if a guest is unhappy with their room. However where possible we do try to keep a few rooms available for people who wish to upgrade, so we are able to meet their expectations.

I have also spoken to our Housekeeping Manager regarding your feedback about the Housekeeping standards, and your comments have been discussed at the daily team meeting.

On a positive note, I was pleased to read that the service you received in the restaurant at breakfast and from the porters was at a level you expected.

I would like to ask you to reconsider about not returning to us in the future. If you should change your mind, please contact me direct so I can personally take care of your reservation.

Bechir Messaoud.

Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

So glad we chose this hotel for afternoon tea. The lounge area was gorgeous and the service splendid. We were asked if we wanted more of the savouries and sweet items several times. The champagne tea is £35 a head plus service and I would go back in a minute! Stylish setting but traditionally English at the same time.

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

WOW, what a great review for our afternoon tea!!!! Our Afternoon teas have become hugely popular, and the Lounge and Kitchen brigades will be delighted with your comments. The next time you come, why not try one of our themed/speciality teas for a twist on the traditional concept.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

This is definitely the swankiest hotel I've ever stayed in. I felt like a princess. The staff were so accommodating and professional. Walking into the lobby, my breath was taken away - the chandeliers, the red velvet chairs, the live harp music! Every nook and cranny of this place was spotless! It was really a treat.

The bed itself was a little hard, but that is seriously my only complaint. If you are traveling alone, with a romantic partner, or for business I'd definitely recommend splurging on this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2012

In late June 2012, my husband booked a Romance on the River package at the The Royal Horseguards hotel. Having stayed at this chain many times before, all of which have been excellent we were expecting to have our usual lovely time. However, we were sorely dispointed this time with many aspects, for example the size of supposed double bed and the fact the package was simply not in place and was not completed during our stay. Although they went some way to make amends, this was not enough. A very disappointing and condencending response to the questionaire we filled in for The Royal Horseguards. Simply put, we will never stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michael J
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that you had a disappointing stay with us. We have tried to make amends, but have been unable to resolve the situation to your satisfaction. We have investigated the situation further since our correspondence, and believe the confusion has occurred as we have two packages on offer with a simular name, a Romance on the River and a Romance Package. Both include different elements, and we have you reserved on a Romance package which includes breakfast, champagne and turndown. I believe this is where the misunderstanding has occurred, and I am sorry that you feel we have let you done.

I hope this will not put you off from staying at other Guoman properties as you have in the past.