“Beautiful hotel and great location!”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #114 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I booked myself into this gorgeous hotel as a birthday treat and what a treat it was! The service was wonderful-I'd managed to connect with the pastry chef Joanne on Twitter and she arranged for me to have a river facing room for my stay and helped to make me feel like a VIP. The check in was efficient and friendly and checkout, despite being on a busy Sunday with a line, was just as efficent and friendly. I had room service a few times and it was always delivered faster than they said it would be and delicious! I was welcomed in the room by a lovely plate of chocolates with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate-such a nice touch and greatly appreciated! I could see the London Eye from my room, although since I was on the 3rd floor, there were lots of trees partially obstructing my view-if you want a clear, unobstructed view, as for a higher floor. Given I'd gotten a complimentary upgrade to that room, I was pretty happy anyways that I could see the river!
The room itself was beautiful and spaceous! Plenty of room to put all my luggage (I was coming in from out of town at the tail end of a trip) and a lovely comfy bed and pillows! Once you register your email address, you get free wifi as well. The tv in the bathtub was certainly different but I definitely made sure to have a bubble bath and enjoy the experience. I only wish I'd known the volume button was over by the ipod dock-I only just read this in another review; I didn't see that anywhere in the instructions. The coffee/tea facilities are in the bottom drawer of the desk and have lovely little biscuits with them. There are also handy little buttons by the door that allow you to turn on "Do Not Disturb" or "Make Up Room" lights outside your door-way better than hanging a sign on the handle.
On my actual birthday I had afternoon tea in the lounge with 3 girlfriends and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The service was a bit slow but that was the only complaint. The sandwiches and scones were refilled easily and the champagne was delicious!
The location is astounding-directly across from Embankment station and about 5-10 mins walk to Trafalgar Square and Big Ben/Westminster. You cannot get a better spot!
After checkout I was able to store my bags with the concierge and had lunch in the restaurant with a friend. We weren't able to have lunch in the lounge as it was fully booked but the manager got us sorted into the restaurant instead and the food was lovely. It seemed like small portions but for 3 courses + chocolates, it was more than enough.
Overall I would definitely recommend this place and will surely be back when my mother visits London in August!

Room Tip: For an unobstructed river view, go to the higher floors.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

There’s not a lot more that can be said about the hotel accept thank you for a fabulous review.

It is great to read that Joanne, our Head Pastry Chef helped you with your reservation. She would also have had a hand in ensuring your birthday plate and Afternoon tea was up to our usual high standard. I will ensure your thanks are passed on to her.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the service in the Lounge and the portion sizes at lunch. I know our Food and Beverage Director will be very interested in your comments and will use them when reviewing these areas.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your room, and in particular the view. Lying in bed and seeing the Thames and London Eye is guaranteed to make any stay memorable, especially one as special as yours. Sorry to hear that you struggled with some of the technology in your room. Just so you know, there is an information card in the letter rack explaining how to use all the gadgets for the next time you visit.

We have been graced with a wonderful location and as you mentioned most of what London has to offer is within easy reach whether by foot or public transport.

We look forward to welcoming you back in August when your Mother is in town.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

We stayed at The Royal Horse guards Hotel on a snowy weekend in January.
We received a warm welcome from the staff and were soon checked in and on the way to our rooms.
We were lucky enough to have rooms overlooking the river Thames and The London Eye. There are not many places that can be so delightful that you can lie in your bed and watch the London eye go round.
The rooms were very comfortable and very well equipped. The bathroom had under floor heating, very nice shower, lovely toiletries and a TV in the shower cubicle. Dressing gowns, slippers were supplied and lovely soft towels. There was Tea & Coffee making facilities along with some nice cookies. (Hidden away in the cupboard)
The beds were comfortable although a little on the small side. Nice linen and comfortable pillows.
There is no parking facility at the hotel and the nearest parking is about 5 mins walk. (at £36 per day)
The lobby area was comfortable and had a cosy open fire and there are free daily papers.
We didn’t get a chance to use the restaurant so can’t comment although we thought the breakfast was a bit expensive. There are plenty of pubs around that do a nice breakfast for £5
The staff were always helpful and polite and not at all poesy.
This is an ideal location as it is very close to Theatre land, West End shopping and the River. Plenty of buses and train/underground stations nearby.
Overall a very nice couple of nights stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of the hotel. I was pleased to read that you did not let the British weather put you off staying. We have some wonderful rooms with fantastic views of the river, and all our rooms have the list of amenities that you mentioned.

Yes I am afraid we do not have a car park here at the hotel, but we can valet park cars to the nearest public car park at Trafalgar Square when pre-arranged. Thank you for your feedback regarding the public areas, it is always good to hear that we have got it right!

I understand why you may feel that our breakfast is expensive, but I assure you we offer a wide variety of hot and cold items and will ensure you do not leave hungry!

We are lucky with our location which was chosen by our Victorian ancestors in 1884. You are able to get anywhere in London and beyond, with the train, bus, and tube connections all with in a short walking distance of the hotel.

We hope that you will chose to stay with us again the next time you are in town.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Excellent comfy rooms, well apportioned, modern and clean. Nice touches, like a cafetiere rather than instant coffee, bath with LCD TV, heated flooring in the bathroom and a batrhoom mirror that doesn't fog up.

I would have given the hotel 5/5, but for two things. The service in the restaurant is appaulingly slow (1.5 hours for two courses? And they had the cheek to automatically add a service charge to the bill too!). The food served should come with a appetite warning, portions were tiny. The chicken supreme had no supreme sauce, no pasta, no carbohydrates of any kind and no vegetables, just a small portion of chicken and a lambs leaf. It was however beautifully cooked.

Overall the hotel is great, but go elsewhere to eat.

Room Tip: Even the lowliest rooms are lovely.
1  Thank Mikers_Southampton
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to the hotel and to One Twenty One Two and I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your dining experience with us. I fully agree that 1.5 hours for 2 courses is far too long to wait and we have addressed the issues that we faced on this day so that this does not happen again.

Our lunch menu offers smaller portions than the a la carte and I am sorry that you thought that the chicken supreme was small, and apologies for the confusion with the wording of the menu as we call our chicken breasts supremes. However I am very pleased to hear that you thought the chicken was beautifully cooked.

With regards to the service charge. We add this to all bills in the restaurant but are very happy to remove when requested by our guests.

I very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel and to One Twenty One Two in the near future.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

The staff went over and beyond to make our stay special. We were lucky enough to get a free upgrade with a beautiful view over the Thames. Also upon arrival I was greeted with a birthday message written in chocolate piping with cakes. Will definately be returning.

Room Tip: It's worth adding a note on your online booking. I asked for an upgrade to a room with a view. A...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the fantastic review. I am so pleased we helped to make your birthday treat extra special.

Please don’t wait for your next birthday before you return to us again!

Reviewed 11 February 2013

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Beautifully decorated, clean, welcoming and in a fabulous location.
A big thank you to all of the staff who contributed to a fantastic weekend.

I shall return!! :)

• Stayed: February 2013

We look forward to your return and hopefully another glowing report!

Reviewed 11 February 2013

I returned yesterday from a weekend staying at The Royal Horseguards hotel and I chose this hotel based on its location, reputation and previous reviews.

We arrived in London on Friday evening and found our way out of Embankment underground, The Royal Horseguards is less than a 5 minute walk from the underground and located beside the Thames and opposite the London Eye, in the area of Whitehall.

Check in was quick and the member of staff checking us in was polite and courteous, informing us that we had received a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room which was a lovely surprise. The hotel also offers free wifi which was a bonus, all you need to do is register your email address on wifi page and you get unlimited wifi.

The "bell boy" offered to take our luggage to our room, but we declined saying we would find it ourselves. The lifts to the higher floors are the first turning on your left up the set of stairs. We missed this corridor and walked to the back of the hotel to the restaurant!

The rooms are lovely, with everything you need. Lovely marbled entrance way, and soft carpeted rooms. Our room was facing the Thames and London eye which was such a lovely view, with the London Eye lit up at night and during the day the the boats going up and down the Thames. Some hints for you if you are like me and don't read the helpful materials in the room (we should have read these on the first night, it would have saved time learning how to do it ourselves!!!);
If your lucky enough to have a TV in the bathroom, the button for this is by the door to the bathroom, as is the underfloor heating swtich and towel rail. The volume button for the bathroom is next to the iPod stand underneath the TV in the bedroom.
The tea/coffee facility are in the drawers of the desk;
If you don't want to be disturbed, or are leaving for the day and want your room made up, there are switches by your front door which illuminate the sign just outside your door;

We ordered breakfast in bed on both mornings, each day costing £10 tray service. We had a wide choice, and duly left our menu choices hanging from the door before 2am each morning to qualify for room service. Each day we had lovely fresh orange juice, filter coffee, full cooked english breakfasts, toasts with preservatives and croissants. Each day the breakfast was so tasty and a real treat to have it in our room.

We had some drinks in the bar after we returned early on the Friday evening, bar prices no different from any other London establishment and the Cosmopolitan cocktail was very strong (but very tasty!). Comfortable seating area, and good service from the waiters.

Upon checkout, we were able to leave our bags with the concierge and explore a little more before our train arrived which was good.

To cap it all off, the hotel is in a fantastic location in relation to Embankment tube station and in turn a quick and easy journey to Trafalgar Square/Leicester Square/Piccadilly and so on. We had also been to see Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theatre and we actually walked back to the hotel from here! The staff were friendly and welcoming, and I did not feel intimidated as I have at other 5* establishments I've stayed in. The rooms are clean and tidy, the hotel is spotless all together.

I would highly recommend this hotel to other travellers, and would most certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Even though we were incredibly lucky to receive a complimentary upgrade (we had reserved a standard...
1  Thank jennyjoop

Thank you for such a wonderfully detailed review!

I am delighted that you had a superb stay with us during your weekend in London. It is great to hear that you enjoyed not only you room, but also our many food and beverage outlets as well. However I am sure you will remember breakfast in bed, while looking at the London Eye for some time to come. A real treat!!!

We are biased of course, but our location is great. Until they have stayed, people to not believe how close we are to so many of the key locations in the heart of the city.

We do pride ourselves on our high levels of customer satisfaction and always try to ensure our guests feel relaxed and welcomed while staying with us. It is comments such as yours, that spur us on to keep delivering excellent customer service therefore hopefully exceeding our guest expectations.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to us the next time your are in London.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

Fabulous hotel, great location and very helpful staff. We stayed under a secret hotels deal so it was a reduced price but a bit disappointing that we had the view of the air conditioning units! Loved the under-floor heating in the bathroom!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

I am pleased that you found the hotel beautiful and enjoyed your stay with us. I am afraid all our standard rooms are internal facing, and I sorry that this disappointed you.

Come back and see us again soon.