“My preferred hotel in London”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #115 of 1,069 Hotels in London
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“My preferred hotel in London”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I stay regularly at the Royal Horseguards, though not every time I visit London due to room prices fluctuating a good bit. This is one of the older, more venerable hotels in London and is wonderfully located within minutes walk to the river, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall and Covent Garden. The restaurant food (especially breakfast) is generally good, though the dinner service there has been spotty at times. Service throughout the hotel is of a high calibre and, despite the fact that I stay there on business, I have always thought it to be a romantic hotel, especially with rooms overlooking the Thames. They offer a weekend romance package, which represents pretty good value. I often recommend the Royal Horsegaurds to friends and colleagues but only if they can get a room at a reasonable price which is not (unfortunately) all the time.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments following your recent repeat stay with us! It is wonderful that we are your “preferred London Stay” and Like you said our location is just incredible and we are extremely fortunate to be based so centrally.

I was delighted to read your comments about the Hotel. It's a priority of ours to ensure that all our guests have a comfortable and memorable stay at all times and I am pleased we were able to achieve this on this occasion

Thank you for sharing your experience With Both us and your friends and I hope I will we will be able to welcome you back to The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,
Dena Parker
Night Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,267)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
winchester
Reviewed 7 November 2013

+ Great Location (3 min walk from Embankment, 6-10 min walk to West End)
+ Comfortable beds
+ Heated bathroom floor
+ Very clean, well serviced rooms

- Paper-thin walls (my neighbour had a cold and it kept me awake!)
- Some inefficient/dishonest staff (I was told they were fully-booked when I asked to move, yet I saw only 2-3 other guests during my whole stay!!)
- Many of the in-room entertainment electronics didn't work
- Slightly naff/dated decor

In short, it's at the bottom end of 5 Star hotels. Snazzy extras soon disappointed - My iPod doc and bedroom/bathrooms speakers didn't work. My hairdryer broke on the first morning and some of the TV channels had no sound. The A/C was very noisy and my room had no view.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank boozle33
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking your time and giving us your feedback regarding your recent experience at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. Feedback such as your own is crucial for us and of the highest importance in order to improve the level of service that we provide.

On behalf of the team, I would like to personally apologise you for any inconvenience caused during your last stay with us. It is our high priority to ensure that all our valuable guests like you are always looked after and I can assure you that this unfortunate experience is not reflective to the standards we strive to provide here at the hotel. Please be advised that I have passed your comments to the relevant departments and they will be discussed further with the team.

It was sad to hear that you did find our hotel décor naff and dated. We take utmost pride in our location and our gorgeous, over a hundred year old building which is now listed as a landmark of architectural interest. The style of the building was inspired by French Chateau's, there for we have to match our interior design and style were we do get lots of great feed back from our guest, sorry that you did not find it to your taste..

Please let me know if you should decide to stay with us again and I will personally take care of the room allocation for you. Please feel free to contact the Hotel directly and I hope that I will be afforded the pleasure of welcoming you back here at the Royal Horseguards Hotel..

With best regards,

Shane Van Sanden
Toronto
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Although this is reviewed as a 5 star hotel , I'm not sure I would agree. The bed was comfortable and bedding nice. There was no view at all except of a tree (5th floor). Ask for a room on the top in order to seek a view. The problem is and it is quietly ignored for the large part, the DOOR SLAMMING. It is in no way the inconsiderate traveller but rather the actual doors to the rooms themselves that shut in such a way that they slam and wake you up. Don't even think of having an afternoon nap with all the housekeeping slamming doors from 9 am until 5 pm. It became really annoying. The location is perfect though and the breakfasts were very nice. The staff seemed a little unaware or maybe they weren't seasoned enough to anticipate the needs of the guests who wished quietude during their stay .

Room Tip: book the top floor. I think they are renovating in January so maybe they will solve the door problem...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thankyou for taking time to write a review following your recent stay with us.
Please accept my apologies for the issues experienced. We will investigate the situation
Its our priority that all our guests have a comfortable stay
Michael Masaba
Suffolk UK
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Booked a package deal with a theatre ticket for Warhorse included. I only stayed for 1 night at the Royal Horseguards but it was a lovely hotel......excellent location, and the staff were very attentive. Decor was top notch and I would definitely stay there again. The price I paid was excellent as it included a good seat at the theatre. The breakfast was good and well staffed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thankyou for such a great feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. Like you said our location is just incredible and we are extremely fortunateto be based so centrally.
Michael Masaba
Lummen (B)
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Excellent location, absolutely close to a numbers of monuments (River Thames, Horse Guards, London Eye, the Mall, Piccadilly Circus, Houses of Parliament); up-to-date rooms, with free and fast wifi-connection, completely equipped rooms; ever friendly and efficient staff. Been to the Savoy too, and when not attending a Royal Opera evening this is in fact a better location, although the Savoy has somewhat more grandeur. As a whole absolutely recommended !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thankyou for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. Like you said our location is good. I shall be passing on the good comments about the staff . We are glad you enjoyed your stay and liked the hotel
MIchael Masaba
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I lived in the hotel for 3 nights.
the location is perfect for Thames River and lots of attractions.
the bed is good, staff are helpful.
Really excellent location, near lots of sights and good for business. on a very quiet street too so peaceful. Service is very good. Breakfast excellent. Rooms are larger than most for London and nicely fitted out. There is plenty of history in the hotels meeting room section, very interesting place. recommended for a business trip.
the decoration in the room is beautiful and morden.
the only problem is the corridor a little be too narrow.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thankyou for taking time to write a review following your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. Like you said our location is just incredible and we are extremely fortunate to be based so centrally.
MIchael Masaba
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Visited this hotel for a Charity Masquerade Ball.
Most amazing, no-holds barred extravagant experience, delivered with superb customer service and the finest (and original) 7-course meal with fine wine and champagne.
If you are ever lucky enough to get the opportunity to attend a function here....jump at the chance....you will never forget it!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
It was amazing to read your review regarding your stay at The Royal Horseguards. It is such a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your experience during your short visit with us.

Our aim is deliver the service that our guests so rightfully expect these days from a leading 5 star hotel.

We truly hope that for your next visit you would have a chance to experience our extravagant bedrooms and service.

Kind regards,