“London Get Away”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #115 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This is what I believe to be one of the best Hotels that I have stayed in, all staff treat you as though you have been there many time before, and nothing is to much trouble. I have stayed here a few times and will continue to.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent experience at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. It is wonderful to read that you’re a returning customer and we are always more than happy to welcome back a familiar face. I have passed your kind comments onto the team, they are very thankful for your praise and we all hope to welcome you back again very soon!

There are newer reviews for The Royal Horseguards

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed at the royal horseguards for two nights to celebrate our anniversary in May. We had a junior suite overlooking the Thames and a good view of the London Eye. The room was spacious and felt luxurious, the bed comfy with linen of a quality you would expect from a hotel of this standard. The room was impeccably clean.
All staff were friendly and helpful whilst providing a discreet but excellent service. The staff were very attentive to our needs at all time. We left a phone charger in the room after we checked out and the hotel staff emailed us to let us know then posted it on to us without us even having to ask.

We did not take breakfast on either day but we did have afternoon tea on our first day which was well presented, tasty and modern. All in all, a fabulous hotel in a great location. We hope to visit again one day.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. It is an absolute pleasure to read that you celebrated your anniversary with us and may we thank you. Our team work very hard to ensure all guests are as comfortable as possible and very much well looked after in a discreet manner. We are thrilled to hear your belongings arrived safely to you after your departure.

Please be assured I have passed your comments to all members of the team, they are very thankful to hear such kind praise from you. We do hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future!

Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

An exceptional hotel with high standards & the most incredible views in London. I booked our room with a view as a surprise for my fiancé's birthday with visions of sipping champagne on the balcony as we overlooked the river & the London Eye. The doors are locked & Sadly when phoning down to room service I was informed that you can not go out onto the balcony. To make it more insulting..there are chairs & tables out there.
I WOULD NOT have booked this had I known there was no access to the balcony from BOTH of the balcony doors in our room and sadly will not be visiting here again despite such lovely service.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank FutureMrsC2015
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. We are terribly sorry to hear that your experience with us was dampened due to the balcony being inaccessible. Due to health and safety regulations and the fact that the building is listed, the balustrades are not at the correct height requirement. Therefore, unfortunately the balcony in question does not comply with Health and Safety regulations and are therefore locked off with suitable restrictions. However, please note we have taken your comments into great consideration regarding the table and chairs on the balcony. Thank you for your compliment regarding the service you received whilst at the hotel please be assured I have passed your comments onto our team who are thankful for your kind praise. We do hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel one day.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I've stayed in many hotels in London, but the Royal Horseguards is among the best and one of my very favorite. It's a majestic five-star hotel located in the WhiteHall area of London near Downing Street and three blocks from the Embankment or Charring Cross Tube stations. The RH also overlooks the River Thames.
Treat yourself and request an upgraded room that overlooks the Thames. the views are great!

The Royal Horseguards has an interesting history. The building was the HQ of the Secret Service during the First World War. It also adjoins One Whitehall Place, London’s sought after wedding, conference and events venue. If you want a destination wedding, this is a fabulous place to get married. Be sure to explore the neighboring building known as the National Liberal Club. This building has a number of beautiful meeting rooms that rival Downton Abbey! Be sure to check out the wine room in the basement of the building. It's exquisite.
The RH service is excellent and their afternoon high tea is among the best in London. The guest rooms are comfortable in size and the rates are reasonable for high-priced London, especially for a luxury property.

The Equus bar has many cocktails named after some very famous guests including George Bernard Shaw and Winston Churchill. Their hotel restaurant is also outstanding.
I think you'll be impressed and pleasantly surprised by this classic five-star hotel!

Room Tip: I spent two nights there and had a king deluxe guest room with a River Thames view. It was excellent...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

May we thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review regarding your visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel whilst on a business trip. We are hugely proud of our hotel and our heritage, there are some fascinating historical facts regarding this building. It is truly a pleasure to read of your great experience with us, our team work very hard to ensure our guests are as comfortable as possible and most importantly have fun! Feedback from guests is hugely important to us. I have passed your comments onto our Food and Beverage team who would like to thank you for your kind praise. We do hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed for a long weekend at the Royal Horseguards to celebrate my wife's birthday. The quality of the hotel is excellent and we were lucky enough to be offered a river view room. The staff were excellent, the breakfast options very good indeed and the attention to detail throughout the stay is ideal. The hotel is well sited for access to a range of underground lines and we walked back from our Soho restaurant on Saturday night comfortably, with milady in her heels as well. Would recommend the hotel, and you can get some excellent deals in the low season.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent celebratory visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel may we thank you for choosing to spend such a wonderful occasion with us. We are extremely happy to read of your great experience, we are very proud of our team, hotel and location. I have passed your comments onto the team and they would like to thank you for your kind praise. We do hope we will be able to welcome you both back to The Royal Horseguards Hotel very soon!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I don't know what was going on in London the night of Oct 15th, but all 7 hotels I tried to book were full. Found this on line somewhere and spoke over the phone to the booking agent. I only needed to stay over 1 night, as I had an afternoon appointment and a morning appointment.. It is tucked away on a back street and not much activity around it. It must have been a old hotel and had the rooms refurbished. It looks nice to the eye but service in every area was lacking.
No one offered to help me to the room, you must carry your suitcase up a few steps to get to the elevator. When I found my room, neither of the keys I was given worked. Had to return to the desk again, with my suitcase to get new keys. Had to wait as there was a problem with the desk staff learning how to produce a new key. They did offer at this point to send a bellman back upstairs with me. Only one of the 2 keys worked this time. I had an appointment so left right away. When I inquired with the doorman about how long it would take to get to my destination in a taxi, he did not know.
The room had been refurbished and was clean and comfortable, but the bathroom was obviously an afterthought in design. I am not a tall person, but my knees were touching the edge of the bathtub when sitting on the toilet. Not easy to maneuver getting in and out of shower/tub area. They did include a robe and slippers. No view. There was a minibar (rather expensive items) located inside a nice closet, and coffee and tea kettle.
The next morning I had an appointment at 10AM in the financial area. Again, I asked a 2nd doorman & bellman how long I needed to plan for travel in a taxi for this appointment on Wood St. Neither were able to give me any approximation of traffic or travel times. I went to the buffet breakfast, at 8:30 and a server brought me coffee. I saw an area where people were getting juice and fruit. I took a plate and had this with a some other things like a bread roll. As I sat eating this, approximately 20 minutes I saw several people walk by with eggs on their plate??? I asked another guest where she got the warm food and she said" around the corner" in a completely separate room, hidden from my table's view. No one even offered me the information that a hot buffet existed, or inquired about my service once I was shown my table.
Again, the checkout went slowly and I felt each hotel employee I encountered in every area had just arrived themselves from some other country and had not been trained to do their job, or know the local area.
I do not feel that I ever want to return to this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jlh206

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I have read your review with deep concern and would like to sincerely apologise for your disappointing experience. This is most certainly not the standard of service we wish to aspire in a 5 star hotel. Please be assured I have passed these comments onto the relevant departments to ensure these matters do not occur in the future. We will be using your comments for training purposes and thank you for bringing your experiences to our attention. We do truly value feedback and it is important for us to listen to the needs of each of our guests in order to provide the best service and experience. Please may we ask you to contact the hotel at your leisure to discuss this matter further? We do hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

The hotel oozed quality from the moment we arrived, the staff were fantastic, helpful, friendly and courteous. The room was comfortable and well equipped, though the view was terrible, not a problem to me as it also meant it was quiet

Room Tip: If you're on holiday ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel whilst on a business trip. We are touched by your kind words and please be assured I have passed these comments onto the team, for which they are very thankful. Unfortunately due to the architecture of the hotel, not every room does have a view, please be assured we are currently going under a design refurbishment and hope we are able to amend these matters. We do hope we are able to welcome you back very soon!