“Simply fantastic | Semplicemente fantastico”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #114 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Been there for three nights. The room (first floor, facing the Thames and the London Eye) was big, cosy and the room service simply perfect.
The building itself is very good located. Few minutes on foot from Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden, etc. north and the Southbank Place, London Eye, The Shard, etc. south.

The whole staff has been always nice and ready to help. We found the breakfast really good. Food was always fresh and tasty. And what made things much better was the the kindness and professionalism of the Restaurant Supervisor Alfonso, who treated us as we were part of his family or very close friends.

Only complaint: the noise coming from the main road in front of the park that divides the hotel to the main road itself. But I guess it is no one fault simply because the building is a listed one for sure and the windows are pretty old. Another thing also related to those window is a pretty annoying air intake from the joints between the frames and the windows themselves. Fortunately the air con did its job.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the Thames. The view is breathtaking.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. We are extremely lucky to be in the location that we are, to be surrounded by some amazing neighbours and very helpful transport links. Due to the nature of the buildings architecture and age, unfortunately as you have mentioned, our windows do need some attention and please be assured this particular matter is being reviewed for our design refurbishment which is currently underway. Please be assured we consider all feedback greatly important to us and I have passed your comments onto the team. Thank you for your praise regarding our team and for the dining experience you had with us. We hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Royal Horseguards

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times - it is excellent. The staff are brilliant and nothing is too much trouble for them, the rooms are always spotless and well laid out, breakfast is excellent, calm and relaxing - very close for all the sites and a lovely quiet location.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am pleased to read you are a returning guest; we very much enjoy welcoming back familiar faces. Thank you for your wonderful comments, please be assured I have passed you praise onto the team. We hope we can welcome you back again very soon!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Arrived at the hotel at lunchtime. There was a bit of a mix up at checkin, I had already prepaid for my stay through a third party but was asked to pay again at checkin. I asked for a room with a view. I was told that the room wasnt yet available. So I went to the Bar for a drink and asked them to give me a call when the room was ready. About 45mins later I got a call. The room was on the 3rd floor with a view of the London eye. The room was excellent. Big tv, good free wifi, TV in shower. I had to phone lastminute.com to make sure I wasn't going to be charged again. They advised the hotel were wrong and they contacted the hotel. I got a call apologising about the mix up later that day.
We wanted to have food at the restaurant but was all full so we went to the Corintha across the road. When we came back in the evening and tried to go to bed there was loud music coming from near by. We went to the corridor to see where the music was coming from. It turned out there was a wedding in the ballroom which had a back entrance 2 doors down from us. I phoned the front desk who advised the wedding was going until 1pm when the music would stop. They offered us an internal room to sleep. As it was nearly 12 and we wanted the view in the morning we decided to stay in the room and wait for the music to finish.
We had breakfast in bed next morning which was quite reasonable at 20 pounds per person. A great breakfast overlooking the London eye.
Overall we had a good stay despite the issues would have preferred it if there wasn't a wedding on near by. Was a bit of an inconvenience but we enjoyed our stay all the same.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view.
2  Thank Conorq

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am pleased to read that our team were able to accommodate you in a river facing room but would like to apologise for the delay and the confusion regarding payment. We take all feedback into great consideration and have reviewed the situation with our Front of House manager. Our restaurant is a rather popular destination and unfortunately we are unable to cater for all guests, however please note we are undergoing a design refurbishment and will look into this matter further. Our Wedding venue is also a popular destination and we are reviewing soundproofing the rooms with the new refurbishment also. I hope that overall your visit with us was satisfactory and hope we will be able to welcome you back to The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future to showcase what we really are capable of.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Have just arrived home after having a great stay at this hotel. Everything was just perfect, from the staff, room, facilities and food. It was situated in an ideal position. We went for lunch on the Thames and then to the theatre in the evening, everything in walking distance. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel and hope to stay again in the near future.

Stayed: March 2014
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am thrilled to read you had a perfect time with us, I am very proud of the team and hotel. Our location is extremely helpful to guests as we are in walking distance for a lot of attractions in London but also great transport links! Thank you for your recommendation and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

For openers I must say that this is the best hotel that I have stayed in.

On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly and professional lady called Renata who dealt with everything efficiently. We were taken to our room by a porter called Lucaz who explained all that we needed to know in the room.

The 6th floor room overlooked the Thames with the London Eye opposite, The view also took in the Shard and St Pauls Cathedral which was spectacular at night.

The room itself was impeccably furnished and the bed extremely uncomfortable. The TV had a great range of channels, including Sky Sports, which you could also watch whilst soaking in the bath. Not that we needed to adjust anything, there was an option to regulate the underfloor heating and the air conditioning control was the simplest I had ever seen.

The breakfast was good but nothing exceptional as I selected from the pre-cooked buffet trays but the breakfast menu does offer a range of options that are prepared individually to order.

The check- out was as pleasant as check-in. The Royal Horseguards Hotel can take great pride in itself. The staff seem proud to work there and this feeling of 'belonging' is transmitted to the guest.

Also a word of thanks to Michael, the front house manager, who smoothed the way for an easy check-in for our lunch at The Ivy.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent but if you can afford it go for a river view, the higher the better
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am delighted to read your comments, I am extremely proud of the team here at the hotel. They are constantly interested in guests needs and will go the extra mile to ensure your stay is of high quality. We take all comments into great consideration and I can assure you I have passed your wonderful feedback onto the team. We all hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Great hotel within walking distances of many attractions. We were lucky enough to have room with view looking out onto London eye and the busy Thames. Beds comfortable, great bathroom and breakfast was delicious. Recommend a stay here

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the Thames as it looks stunning by night
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. We are exceptionally pleased with the location that we are in, so close to some of London’s main attraction and the useful transport links. I am so pleased to read of your experience with us, please be assured I have passed your comments onto the team. We all hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I booked this hotel for New Year's Eve to see the fireworks and had mistakenly forgotten to specify river view on the room. When I arrived the hotel was fully booked especially the river view rooms of course. Even the suites on the top floors had enn booked months in advance; We were devastated. However our host at the reception kept trying as we had a drink at the bar and within the hour came up with a river view room on the 8th floor! He upgraded us for no additional cost and the night was just unforgettable.
The rooms are renovated and the suites are just sublime with a sober masculine design and colours that are very classy. The staff are very polite and helpful. This is truly an outstanding hotel.

Room Tip: make sure you specify the view on your booking to avoid disappointment. This is the single most outs...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel in January. I am extremely thrilled to read of your wonderful New Year’s Eve with us. The river view rooms are exceptionally popular around that time of year, as expected due to the fireworks but I am exceptionally proud of our Reception team doing their best to accommodate you both. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, feedback such as yours is truly inspiring to the team and we hope we are able to welcome you back to The Royal Horseguards Hotel very soon!