“The Royal Horseguards Hotel Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Horseguards

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #94 of 1,086 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“The Royal Horseguards Hotel Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We booked a 'Taster' menu for a birthday lunch and definitely enjoyed the experience. The champagne was an excellent start to a great meal and the service is impeccable.
A p[eaceful haven in the middle of bustling Whitehall - highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at our One Twenty One Two Restaurant. Thank you for choosing to spend such a wonderful occasion with us, it is a true pleasure to celebrate with our guests. I am thrilled by your kind comments; we have an extremely talented Food & Beverage team who I am very proud of. Please be assured I have passed your comments onto them; we all hope we are able to welcome you and your friends back very soon!

Riddian Davies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boca Grande, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

I recently stayed for 8 days with a group of friends and couldn't have been more favorably impressed by the hotel. Wonderful location (we could walk everywhere in central London) and service (extremely helpful and friendly concierge, breakfast room staff, etc.) I shared a room with a friend and it was pretty basic (i.e. no view, or should I say a view of an air shaft), but the housekeeping staff was diligent and the beds very comfortable. My husband and I (he was not with me on this trip) have stayed in posh hotels in London over the years (the Duke's, Claridges, the Connaught, etc.) and I must say the Royal Horseguards compared favorably. The hotel will be under renovation soon I understand and it should be even better. Give it a try!

Room Tip: I saw one deluxe double room overlooking the gardens and river which was lovely - probably worth wha...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The Royal Horseguards Hotel whilst staying with friends. I do apologise that you were disappointed with the view you received, may I assure you we are currently undergoing a design refurbishment to improve the inner facing rooms to avoid any further disappointment. On a lighter note I am so pleased to read of your time with us and would like to assure you I have shared your feedback with the team. We hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel very soon!

Pasadena, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

This was our first trip to London so I enlisted the help of a travel agent to help me plan our trip. She highly recommended the Royal Horseguards Hotel and said the location was ideal for what we wanted to do. I am so glad we followed her advice and stayed here. The hotel is beautiful, very clean, and at a great location for many of the main tourist sights. All hotel staff encountered were extremely friendly and eager to help. Many hotels can be impressive when everything is going perfectly, but the true test of the staff is when a problem arises and how they are willing to help meet their guest's needs. I have allergies to fragrances, scents etc., that often trigger an asthma attack. Our travel agent requested an allergy friendly room for us but failed to specifically state I needed the room fragrance free. While we did have non feather pillows, housekeeping sprayed some strong air freshener in our room. As soon as I walked into the room I felt a difference in my breathing. I realize my problem is not typical, when I called downstairs to explain my dilemma the front desk was willing to switch our room. We had an early check in, and another room was not immediately available. So we decided to open the exterior doors to the balcony and start our sight seeing while the room aired out. The front desk assured us they would hold another room for us, in case I still needed to change rooms upon our return. When we returned later in the evening, we noticed the TV would not change channels. Someone came up immediately to check on it, and unfortunately someone from maintenance was needed to investigate the problem further, (due to the late hour they were gone). We were offered another room and were assured staff would come up to do whatever was necessary to make our move as easy as possible. At that point we were exhausted and my husband said he did not want to change rooms, he just wanted to go to sleep. We were told maintenance would come up as soon as we gave permission in the morning. Unfortunately, by morning the TV would not even turn on and we were told it needed to be replaced. We understand things can break down. My husband does like to keep up with the news, so we took the front desk up on their offer to switch rooms. While this may sound negative, our experience was NOT negative. It was evident the hotel staff wants you to have a flawless stay, and when a flaw appears, they are eager to smooth it away. After 4 nights we were to check out and take the Eurostar to Paris for one night. I was concerned that when we returned to London for our final night's stay at the Horseguards, that I may encounter the air freshener again. I went downstairs and was assisted by Shane, the Assistance Front Office Manager. I shared how impressed we were with the entire staff, then further explained my dilemma when in enclosed spaces with fragrances. He took notes and asked if we were happy with our current room, which we were. He said he would block that room off for our return trip. Even though it is embarrassing for me at times to have to explain my reactions to scents, Shane made me feel very comfortable and that he was sincerely interested in my well being. I wanted to share my specific experience to highlight the entire staffs efforts to make our staff a 5 star experience. We did have the breakfast included, which is wonderful. The staff in the dining area were eager to make breakfast an enjoyable experience and food was constantly being replenished so nothing ran out. If we would come to London again, we would only stay at the Royal Horseguards after our experience there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michele B
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. Our guests wellbeing in our top priority and the team will ensure you are as comfortable as possible by any means necessary. I am sorry to read that you did come across some mishaps but am pleased that the team were able to rectify the situation as best they could. Shane is an exceptional team member who goes the extra mile for all guests; I am so pleased he was able to assist you promptly. The hotel is in a wonderful location, the neighbours we have share a great history with us. We are close to some of London’s main attractions and have close accessible transport for guests to get around London easily too, such as Embankment and Charing Cross stations. Feedback such as yours is truly valuable to the hotel and I would like to thank you once more for sharing your opinions and experiences. Please be assured I have passed on your feedback to the team; we hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us in the future for any enquiries.

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed in the 'Horseguards Suite' for the weekend as a surprise for my wife's forthcoming birthday. Total mix up at reception during check-in as two of us in our group of 8 had the same surname, and payment details mixed up (but only noticed post-stay).

Lovely room, but this was NOT serviced at all on the first evening.. not what I had expected from a 5* hotel! Mentioned it the following morning, and to the hotels credit they placed a chilled bottle of wine in the room that evening whilst we were out.. nice touch.

The breakfast was lovely, plenty of choice and nice area to eat.

The room itself was split over two floors, with cracking views of the London Eye, Shard etc. We felt that this suite could benefit from a separate shower cubicle, rather than a shower 'over the bath' as the position of that meant you had to stand at an awkward angle to shower.

Check out was 'confusing' again for the staff. No apparent issues overall, Until I came to look at my credit card account today and noticed they had billed me for someone else's room - despite me already having settled my own. I was not informed of this...bit naughty Guoman??

Lengthy phone calls, and no real 'care' in the voice of persons dealing with it.

Overall, we had great company in a great hotel in a great location..oh, and great weather so overall A++++. Just be aware of your contact with the reception and CHECK YOUR BILL at the hotel and also your card account a few days later.

Room Tip: As everyone else says.. get a room overlooking the Thames!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Smiffy2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am saddened to read some of your comments regarding the team, this is by no means the level of service guests would normally receive and I would like to sincerely apologise. Please be assured I will be reviewing your comments with the relevant Managers and will ensure team members will be receive the correct training. I would like to thank you for your feedback; it is truly valuable to us. On a lighter note I am pleased that although you suffered some disappointment your party and you did enjoy your time with us. I hope this experience has not dampened any decision to visit us in the future, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel with any assistance you may need.

NE Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I applaud the hotel's service, location and comfort. I've stayed at The Royal Horseguards on two separate occasions and both visits were fantastic. If I ever return for pleasure I will seek this property first! Close proximity to many attractions but bring your walking shoes. If breakfast is included in your nightly rate it is worth rising early to enoy it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel whilst on business. We are touched by your kind words and would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please be assured your feedback has been shared with the team. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future!

Paphos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

It was our 25th anniversary if you can stretch to the tower suite do it views are breathtaking . Thus far perfect perfect perfect thanks Mr A from Mr A. Service impeccable lots of little extra treats in the room including a TV in the bathroom can't wait to try breakfast out

• Stayed May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chris100mk
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. Thank you for choosing to spend such a wonderful occasion with us, the Tower Suite is perfect to celebrate in. The view is spectacular, especially at night! Please be assured I have shared your kind comments with the team; we hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future!

Oswestry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Horseguards Hotel this weekend, we checked in @13:00 on Friday and we were met by very friendly concierge who took our bags to reception. The reception staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Our room as requested had a river view and have everything we wanted and more, free wifi, plugin iphone music system, tv in the bathroom, and my new favourite facility a 'turn down' service. The location was perfect for our two night break, and I will be booking a return visit later this Summer. The outside terrace bar is perfect for a sunny afternoon, the bar is tastefully decorated and the restaurants and foyer are very impressive. A harpist entertained us during the afternoons and the service from all the staff was first class, all in all a very enjoyable experience and we highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am so pleased to read of your experience and would like to assure you I have shared your kind praise with the team. Our highest priority is to ensure guests are as comfortable and as accommodated as possible when staying. We are constantly reviewing new techniques and amenities that we can incorporate into our service. The Terrace is one of my favourite places in the hotel, perfect for a Summers evening! We look forward to welcoming you back in the Summer; please do contact the hotel with anything we can assist you with, we would be more than happy to help.