“Simply the best”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #121 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Back at The Royal Horseguards again and not disappointed.
Superb room and perfect service from Michael and his Front of House Team - they even managed to organise a late check-out for us even though they were fully booked (Trooping the Colour weekend). Great lunch in the bar.
Very busy weekend for the Hotel but they didn't skip a beat.
The Royal Horseguards is a physically large hotel but has the comfortable feel more akin to a small, boutique-type hotel (especially in terms of service).

Room Tip: Ask and (if possible) The Royal Horseguards will deliver
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear StoneColdTricky,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us over the Trooping of the Colour weekend. It was a busy time in London and a great celebration! Michael and his team are an asset to the hotel and will go the extra mile to ensure guests receive the very best attention. I do agree our hotel has the warmth of a boutique hotel, a home from home. I hope we can welcome you both back to the hotel very soon!

Riddian Davies, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,920)

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed one night in a 'double deluxe'. I managed to schmooze a river view room from the delightful receptionist and we had a wonderful view of the river and London Eye from the seventh floor. The rooms are provided with just about anything you could think of: all the freebies under the sun (loofah anyone?), hi tech dimmers, tv screen in the double-jet shower, underfloor bathroom heating, built in iPhone cradle, PC to TV display, free wifi etc. etc.

The service in the room included turn down with those little prayer mats by the (very comfortable) bed and gift bath salts (perhaps the mints ran out).

Front desk service is very friendly and helpful and the breakfast buffet is high quality. Even better, a surprise free breakfast for two (cost £49.98) included in my ebookers rate.

I would certainly have given this hotel 5 stars but for two things, firstly a 4'6" bed is just too small for us. We would rather give up room space (in a not overlarge room) for those extra 6". And although the refurb of the building was thorough it did not include replacing the windows which are not very noiseproof.

Howver, I think we shall be back. BTW, do take a stroll around the next door building (One Whitehall Place and accessible from the hotel) - a historical masterpiece.

Room Tip: Beg a river room for the views.
1  Thank gbgeebee
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear gbgeebee,

The views of the River Thames and the London Eye are second to none from the hotel, especially at night and from the comfort of your room. We ensure that the rooms have plenty of amenities as we want the guests to feel at home and as comfortable as possible when with us, especially after a long day sightseeing in London! Our One Twenty One Two Restaurant serves one of the best breakfasts in the capital; I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy this.

I completely take on board your comments regarding the bed size and will review this with my Housekeeping team. Also I would like to assure you that we currently do have plans to replace all of the windows, due to the age of the building it takes meticulous planning to ensure we do this correctly and as efficiently as possible. Thank you for sharing your comments, it truly means a great deal to us. We hope to see you back at the hotel very soon!

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We had a reservation for 2pm, by 3pm our order had still not been taken so we left & went elsewhere! Despite saying they were very busy, half the tables were empty . Service was scarce. Really disappointed by whole experience & apology was limited.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank juliew042

Dear juliew042,

I am sorry to read your review of your time with us when visiting for Afternoon Tea. We serve one of the best Afternoon Teas in London and I am disappointed that you did not have the opportunity to experience this. It is unacceptable service that you received and I would like to sincerely apologise, this is not a normal occurrence in our Lounge and I will most certainly ensure the team receive further training.

I hope you are not discouraged to visit us again the near future. I can promise that we will showcase our true potential and that you will receive the very best care next time you are with us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me further with any queries you may have, I would be more than happy to assist.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed for one night at The Royal Hourseguards Hotel and had a fantastic time. This was not a hotel that I had heard of before but the executive delux room was one of the best I have stayed in with the standard well above what we were expecting (very modern with lots on nice touches), my wife loved the TV above the bath. The Full English Breakfast in bed was good quality, exceptional value and a nice treat. Staff we're very friendly and attentive. Definitely on my list of favourite hotels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Mathew B,

I am pleased that you both had a great experience with us recently, our Executive Deluxe rooms are rather special and the TV in the bath is a popular amenity with our guests. The breakfast served in our restaurant is one of the best in London! I am extremely happy to learn we have become one of your favourite hotels and hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have just spent two nights at The Royal Horseguards Hotel and wish to reiterate all the positve remarks mentioned in recent reviews. Our large room was lovely....very welcoming and spotless. The beds (twin) extremely comfortable - lovely white sheets and towels. In fact all the necessities you could wish for were supplied in the bedroom - complimentary bottled water - tea and coffee making facilities, Mini bar - and safe.
A variety of 'necessity' packs are provide in the bathroom including hotel dressing gowns/slippers. In wardrobe - a useful iron and ironing board, shoe horn, umberalla - suit and shoe covers. All of which we found useful. A big thankyou to the hotel's bedroom staff for cleanliness and attention to detail.
The breakfast room is nice with a good variety of hot and cold food and drinks.
Particularly pleasant and helpful were the reception/bar staff and porters. Indeed - when my husband went to fetch our car I was looked after extremely well...was shown to the lounge made to feel comfortable and given a complimentary pot of breakfast tea. How kind and thoughtful.
We would wish to say thank you to everyone for making this short stay a pleasure.
We will certainly put this hotel at the top of our list when we next return to London.

Room Tip: Suggest rooms overlooking garden and river.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am thrilled to read your comments regarding the room you were allocated in, our teams’ attention to detail is second to none and we ensure all of our guests needs are looked after when staying with us. I am extremely proud of the hotel and the team; I would like to assure you I have shared your kind praise with them. Feedback is highly valuable to us as it is the guests’ opinions we take into great consideration. We hope we are able to welcome you and your husband back to The Royal Horseguards Hotel very soon, please do not hesitate to contact us with any queries you may have in the future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

The RHG hotel was a lovely hotel, all amenities were excellent. The room was huge, everything was updated, large bath, all modern fixtures. The bed was very comfortable, excellent linens, great services, and they serve food in the two lounges late into the evening. It is so centrally located, in a great area, but on a quiet and unassuming street. Easy to walk everywhere or get the tube close by. Staff was warm and friendly, breakfasts included were very good. I would stay here again and again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The Royal Horseguards Hotel whilst visiting with friends. I am pleased to read of your time with us and everything was to your satisfaction. Please be assured I have shared your kind feedback with the team; we hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel next time you are in London! Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel with any future enquiries you may have.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

The RHG hotel is the perfect tourists hotel.
Well priced (many levels of rooms rates), wonderfully clean throughout, generous room sizes and most of all, friendly staff. Breakfast buffet is superb with on call orders available also.
The location was fantastic being on the river Thames, it was a short walk to the National Gallery, Southbank side of the river, Leicester Square theatres and restauarant precinct, trains and buses.
Definitely a wise choice for any visitor looking for a central location close to all the action.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am so pleased you had a wonderful time with us; we are in a wonderful part of London with some honourable neighbours. We have some great transport links close by that are truly helpful for guests that would like to experience the theatres, shops and events happening around London. Although we are so close to these places, we are tucked away from the hustle and bustle ensuring guests receive a peaceful night! Please be assured I have passed your feedback onto the team, we all hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel next time you are in London!