“Fabulous room and city location...BUT” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Horseguards

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #95 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Phoenix, Arizona
“Fabulous room and city location...BUT”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

...terrible otherwise. Lobby is not welcoming. Lift (elevators) are very slow if working. One was out for four days and no signage or room notice to let people know. Odd aroma in corridors, similar to sewer. Had to request turn down because we were forgotten. No hand sanitizing in Fitness Room. Staff not very welcoming. Doormen usually to busy chatting to properly hold front doors.

Though newspapers are put out to be taken every morning. When we asked to have one sent to the room, we were told we had to pay for it. Very shabby!!!!!

Internet was down, and we had to make a special request to have a staff member contact the ISP to have the system brought up.

Executive room is most spacious and comfortable. Hotel is in a great location, but not worth the price. Stay at CORINTHIA , across the street.

Room Tip: If you REALLY want to stay here reserve an executive room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank KIWP131313
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear KIWP131313,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit to the hotel. I would like to apologise for your disappointment with us, this is by no means the normal standard of excellent service that our guest would receive. I would like to assure you that I take all guest feedback into great consideration as it is your opinions that count the most. I hope that this experience has not dampened any decisions to visit us in the future; I do hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to showcase our true potential.

Riddian Davies, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kelvedon, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

we had a lovely room but no view which was disappointing.
couldn't fault the cleanliness of the hotel or the sleep quality. Breakfast was very nice with a good selection to chose from.
great central location with easy walking distance to lots of the main London attractions.

Room Tip: Ask when booking if you can have a room with a view. I'm sure it would be better than looking ou...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue A
Dear Sue A,

Thank you for your review of your time at the hotel recently. Please let me assure you that we are currently reviewing our internal facing rooms, I can assure you we have taken your comments into great consideration. Our talented team work very hard to ensure every detail is looked after for the guests benefit and I am very pleased you were able to experience our breakfast too, it’s one of the best in London! I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Visited the RHG recently and the usual smooth flow of the place did appear to have gone in some areas. I can only agree with a few previous reviewers that the organisation and service at breakfast time was lacking a certain something. Also I feel I do need to echo the sentiments of a few others that have mentioned the fact the items were not replenished in the rooms as they should have been (tea & coffee and bins emptied).

I guess we were unlucky that weekend as this sort of thing really isn't the norm.

HOWEVER.

Will we stay here again ? Indeed we will.

Rooms are maintained to a very high standard and the beds are comfortable. They do vary in size and the views can differ so if there is something in particular you are after just ask the reception staff. The hotel is a listed building (take a look from the outside - it would be a crime too hack the place to bits so all the rooms were of a uniform layout).

Staff are always polite in all areas be it the door staff, reception staff or the those from housekeeping. And there is no overbearing false demeanour about them (which I cannot abide) like you find in some London hotels.

The location of this hotel frankly is unbeatable. Have you any idea how many notable sights you can visit in just a few minutes walk ? No, neither have I ! But trust me it is a lot.

We are not tourists however for those of you that are here is a small selection. Buckingham Palace , Palaces of Westminster , Horseguards Parade , Piccadilly , St James` and The Green Park , London Eye , and some famous stores such as Fortnum & Mason and Hamleys and some not so famous stores that you will encounter on your way.

Why not go for a walk before breakfast and see how many you can see? I always do and believe me it`s the best time of the day to be out and about.

The location is quiet on a night (good nights sleep though) so if you are looking for all night entertainment you best head to Soho and/or Covent Garden also within walking distance. Or take a cab.

A tip if you are wanting a cab in a hurry is not to wait at the hotels entrance (sometimes cabs are waiting) but walk towards Embankment tube station and there are more often than not some waiting there (some drivers may be taking a break though) failing that carry on walking up Villiers street to Charing Cross station and you will almost be certain to get one there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Bob1998
Dear Bob1998,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the hotel in April. You are correct this is not the norm and I would like to apologise for any downfalls you experienced when with us. We have most certainly taken into consideration guest feedback regarding the breakfast service and are amending team rotas to ensure no further disappointment occurs. I have also brought your comment to our Executive Housekeeper to ensure our excellent standard of procedure is adhered to.

On a lighter note the location of the hotel is unbeatable and we share some wonderful heritage with our neighbours. It is a pleasure to walk around this area and see the places you have mentioned with your own eyes, why not pop to Horseguards Parade and watch the ceremony of Changing the Guard? A great thing to witness.

Thank you for your kind praise, I enjoy nothing more than listening to our guests’ needs and opinions of their time with us, it is extremely important to me. I hope we will welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Kegworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Yet another visit to this great Hotel, situated on the City Centre side of the Thames in Central London, only a stone's throw from Trafalgar Square. The staff are lovely, helpful and go the proverbial extra mile to help.

I ate in the Restaurant this time and the ambiance and food was excellent. Not at all rushed nor equally not slow. As the Baby Bear would say "Just right" !

Whilst the room (814) wasn't the biggest, it was all I needed. The big hit was the view. See the photos taken just with my iPhone. I attempted a panorama, but don't think it has upload as such on the TA website.

Nice one.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Rob H,

I am so pleased to read you have returned to the hotel and hope you enjoyed your stay in London! Our hotel is in a fantastic location surrounded by wonderful heritage and top tourist attractions. I can imagine that the location is a main priority of yours when on a business trip and the useful transport links close by. We do have a talented team in the restaurant and happy to read it was ‘just right’ for you, our team cater to each individual guests needs.

How sad that we are unable to see your photo! I would love to have seen this as the view of the River Thames and London Eye from the hotel does not tire! I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

KILSALL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Loved this hotel best rooms for me are rooms looking over the Thames.stayed 3 times during 2013 I though being a club member that I would allowed to stay an extra sunday without charge and a late checkout. I was wrong I asked for the late checkout and was told I could only have an extra two hours after that I would have to pay.
Not booked this year.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear viksok,

We do have a great view of the River Thames and the London Eye, our location is second to none and I am pleased you have been able to experience such wonderful scenery with us. I am sorry to read that the complimentary late checkout was not honoured by our team; I can assure you I will review this matter with our Front of House team to ensure we are following the correct procedure. I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel to showcase the true potential that you have experienced with us previously. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly with any further queries you may have.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed at Royal Horseguards for 4 nights for a business trip last year. Good location in central London; solid service and rooms were a decent size. Nothing to really complain about but nothing really jumped out at me either. This is a fine hotel for a short business trip but don't expect to be blown away.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Jeremy R,

I am pleased that you were satisfied with your stay at the hotel whilst on a business trip; however I am disappointed that you did not have an overwhelming, once in a lifetime experience with us! We aim to go above and beyond for our guests and I am concerned that you did not experience this 5 star service when with us. Please let me assure you that our standards and procedures have largely improved since your time here nearly a year ago, I hope you will consider returning in the near future to give us this chance to showcase our true potential.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Then gave us complimentary tea. We had arrived in mid evening by train. Someone in making the reservation - we shall not name names but it wasn't hotel's fault at all - made it for the following month instead of this month, on Ascot Racing week. Not a room to be had. They found one, and took care of us. Later, after we'd checked out,they provided late day tea as well as place for us to change out of our business clothes. By the way, room had lots of period detail, brass, wood, that kind of thing. Comfortable, easy. Yes, it's also a great location. But the main thing is that they demonstrated they would take action to care for us, although they were basically full up.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gabriel_Winter
Dear MirandaWand,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Although you experienced an unfortunate misunderstanding when booking the original reservation, I am extremely proud of the team for accommodating you efficiently, especially in such a popular time as Ascot week. Our guests are our highest priority and we will do our absolute best to ensure we look after every single one. We are in a fabulous part of London, surrounded by such history. We will always be very proud of our heritage and hope this shines throughout the hotel. I hope to see you return in the near future!