“Ripoff phone rates cost me more than the room”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #100 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Pleasanton, California
“Ripoff phone rates cost me more than the room”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Nice hotel but they gouged me on one hour phone call for which they charged me $315--that's after they nicely (cough, cough) sliced it in half as I practically fainted when I saw the bill -on my way out the door. That really hurt my budget. Beware the phone-they might as well rip them out-no one wants to be surprised like that when they check out. Hope it was worth it to the hotel to gouge a guest like that. Hope I can save another guest from a $$ disaster like mine.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank Terese29
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Terese29,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit to the hotel. May I assure you that we are reviewing the cost of international calls made from rooms and take your comments into serious consideration. I am pleased that the team were able to come to an arrangement with you upon your departure, as it is never our intention to upset a guest in any way. I hope that this experience has not dampened any decision to visit us in the future and I would hope that we are able to welcome you back soon. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel with any further queries you may have.

Riddian Davies, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We love the location of this hotel, and the staff try hard to make things work. But we had to move twice during our 4 night stay last week so I am not sure it will be our choice next time. When we arrived on a Wednesday night, our reserved room category wasn't available, so we stayed in a different room and moved the next morning. Then on Saturday, our last night, a hugely loud wedding band was playing and we were invited to move because it was going to continue until 1am. When I marveled that other guests weren't also trying to sleep, they said many of them were part of the wedding. Hmmm, not what I anticipated in a five star hotel. But on the plus side, they did move us to a silent room! And the concierge desk works 24/7 with good and effective help with theater, Eye tickets, restaurants, etc. it would have been helpful for them to warn us--which they didn't--that the road to Heathrow was essentially impassable on Sunday morning due to construction. Our £100 cab ride took us only partway toward the airport, and then we had to turn back to Paddington to the train. Apparently this traffic problem has been going on for months. We barely caught our plane, only because I decided to take the cabbies advice and give up on the road, and only because we managed to get to the train 2 minutes before it left! (Helpful hint: you can buy your Heathrow train ticket after you have boarded, on the train).

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room....
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Ellen H
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear HUMORus,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel whilst on business. I am ever so sorry that your night’s sleep was disturbed by an internal event; please may I assure you that we do have a decibel reader on the property to ensure that the legal acceptable level of noise is not exceeded, however we are more than happy to accommodate guests if they have been disrupted and sincerely apologise for the inconvenience.

Our Concierge team are usually extremely efficient with a high knowledge of what is happening in London and I am slightly concerned that they did not make you aware of this construction work, please be assured I will be reviewing this with the team immediately.

On a lighter note I am pleased that you did enjoy your time with us and I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in London. I do take all guest feedback into great consideration and thank you for your comments. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel further with any queries you may have, we would be more than happy to assist.

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Recently stayed at The Royal Horseguards Hotel for a business meeting. Rooms were nice, meeting facility also very good. Breakfast and Lunch selections were varied and tasty. Located in London so easy walking to sights.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Kevin28_13,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay at the hotel to attend a recent business meeting. We very much enjoy welcoming business travellers to the hotel and strive to deliver an excellent service ensuring the upmost comfort and ease for our guests. We hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for either leisure or business!

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed over Wimbeldon weekend as hotel is on the correct line for easy access.
Hotel is overall excellent with attentive staff & pleasing decor.
Room was modern although I think the TV in the bathroom could have been done to a higher standard as there was water ingress behind the seal (if this is read by Hotel staff the room No was 750!).
The only reason I have not awarded excellent was what I consider to be a 3 star English breakfast buffet with a poor selection which was not kept topped up on a busy Saturday Morning.
Hotel location is good with Covent Garden (good at night) only a few minutes walk away.
Bottom line - would stop here again but only if the price is right!

3 Thank GRAHAM H
Dear GRAHAM H,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us at the hotel over the Wimbledon weekend. What an amazing time to be in London? We were quite lucky with the weather too!

I am so pleased you found the location good, the hotel overall to be excellent with attentive staff and pleasing décor, but also would like to assure you I have taken your comments regarding the breakfast into serious consideration. We are currently reviewing our breakfast menu with our Head Chef. Please also be assured I will most definitely have our Maintenance Team investigate the TV in the bathroom and make the necessary amendments.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel with any queries you may have, we would be more than happy to assist.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed to celebrate my partner's 60th birthday. We have friends who stay at the Horse guards whenever they are in London and they recommended it. They were there a few weeks before our trip and had a word with reception to tell them that we had booked and that it was a special occasion and it would be nice if they could give us a room with a Thames view and were assured that they would look after us The location is excellent. The reception staff were very pleasant, and the public rooms well appointed and comfortable. The lifts were a bit of a pain as they stopped to pick up people on floors between our floor (7th) and the ground and twice people got in and the lift refused to move because it was overloaded. Our room and beds were comfortable and spotlessly clean though at the price, £324 a night, nothing special. The lighting is somewhat complicated and, if it was possible to switch it so that only one bedside light was on, we did not find out how. A reading light would have been useful. The main disappointment was the view (see picture). Breakfast was ok and though the restaurant was busy, the staff were excellent. During our trip, we had tea at the Ritz and wish we had also booked a room there. The star system should, perhaps, be modified as I would award Horse guards four and a half at most whereas the Ritz felt like a real five star.

Room Tip: As for a Thames view
1 Thank Freelance60
RHG_London, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Dear Freelance60,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the hotel earlier this summer. I must apologise for your dissatisfaction and assure you I have taken a keen interest into your comments and reviewed them with my Senior Management team. It is never our intention to disappoint a guest - the team and I strive to deliver a 5 star excellent service, on this occasion I am sorry that this was not the case. I hope that this experience has not dampened your opinion of the hotel and I hope we will be able to welcome you both back to the hotel in the near future to showcase our true potential. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly for any assistance you may require, we would be more than happy to help.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed Friday and Saturday night,cannot fault this hotel or the staff with whom we had contact.Delicious afternoon tea is highly recommended. Easy walks along Thames Embankment ,Whitehall Gardens and close by to Waterloo and Westminster Piers.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Roger G,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay, I am delighted that you had a wonderful time with us and had the opportunity to experience our Afternoon Tea; we have some of the most creative Pastry Chefs in London! The location of the hotel is second to none and there are some astonishing buildings and parks alongside the river. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Ideal location for central location- close to underground with views of the London eye and close to attractions! The room was lovely, however for the price, seemed a little small on the whole and the bed especially was a small double. Unfortunately, our tv in the bathroom was a little temperamental, however we spent most of our time around the city and so wasn't so much of an inconvenience. Unfortunately, we nearly missed the beginning of the theatre we were booked into as it was mayhem for the door men to get a cab, especially with nearby hotel too hoping to reign in the taxis! Dinner was lovely and service was too. Would stay at this hotel again but maybe upgrade to a larger room! Standard rooms would be ideal for a mini break but for any duration longer would recommend an upgrade.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JenniferH262014
Dear JenniferH262014,

Thank you for your recent review of your time at the hotel. We are in a wonderful central location, very close by to some of London’s top attractions and best theatres, I am sorry that you nearly missed the beginning of the show you were booked in for due to the lack of taxis available. I have taken your comments into great consideration regarding your room and have ensured our Maintenance team amend any issues immediately.

Please let me assure you that we are also undergoing a design refurbishment and will be reviewing our current room sizes. We want only the best for our guests!

Also, I am pleased you experienced our One Twenty One Restaurant as we have some rather talented Chefs. I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.